OXN

First Rig Safety

Hey all,
Decided to commit to my own rig after around fifty jumps. My background is kind of unique- I'm a triathlete and generally run 20-40 miles a week, and my productivity at work directly corresponds to my ability to perform at that level. Between this and a conservative introduction to the sport, I designed my rig to be almost obnoxiously safe. I'll list specific items towards that effect below, and I'd appreciate other suggestions about anything I may have overlooked if anyone has them:

- Light wing load (189 main for a 165 pound pilot)
- Canopies and lines in excellent condition (used reserve with zero rides, new main)
- Custom sized container
- Assembly and inspection by master rigger
- Type 8 risers
- New AAD
- RSL
- Belly Band
- Analog Alti (no battery requirement)
- New, custom-fit full face helmet (with cutaway system)

I'm sure this sounds like overkill to a lot of the D license plus types on here, but I'm trying to make sure I've exhausted every means of risk mitigation out there before I start taking her out every weekend. Lots of packing practice and jumping safety homework go without saying for me. So, what did I miss? Thanks in advance, guys!

crazydaisy315

Skyhook or other MARD. And a hook knife on mine. I also have an audible altimeter, in addition to my digital. I do not like the analog alti's. I find the large digital number to "sink in" better.

Without starting an "RSL vs. Skyhook" thread, my choice to go with the former was intentional. Good call on the hook knife; forgot to add that to the list! I actually wear an ABC watch that has a surprisingly accurate altimeter (Suunto Spartan, for anyone interested) in addition to my purpose built alti- one that's audible is definitely on the list, though. Appreciate the input!

don't focus too much on your equipment, as long as it is in good and airworthy condition the actual thing that keeps you in good health is skydive training, lot's of it. Both freefall and landing, combined with a good and ever growing amount of theoretical understanding is what should do the trick.
Also think twice about the jumps you participate at, skill required vs skill mastered.

that being said the things you posted aren't overkill by any means.
Lets add
- Skyhook MARD
- second alti, preferably a digital one for canopy consistency
- at least one dytter, preferably with canopy guide (I have two of them in my helmet)
- canopy coaching, right from the start!!

The more one fears to get injured the more likely he is to actually experience injury... I made that up but You hopefully get what I mean.
-------------------------------------------------------

To absent friends

Well, keep in mind that analog, mechanical altimeters can still fail. And batteries dying isn't the only way a digital can fail.

You say "189 main, 165 pilot." Is the 165 your "stepping out of the shower" weight?

Then your actual exit weight will be more. You might be a bit surprised how much more. I was. I went 155 stepping out of the shower, and with a 190 main and fully geared up, I was just under 190.

1:1 is still a good wingloading though, presuming you are on an appropriate canopy type (non-elliptical).
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

wolfriverjoe

1:1 is still a good wingloading though, presuming you are on an appropriate canopy type (non-elliptical).

This is totally wrong ^

He should be going sub-100 and adding rotation. Power = safety guys & girls!

It is, so my actual exit weight will put my wing loading closer to 1:1. My main is a Safire 3 which, by all accounts, is about as forgiving as you can get in all the aforementioned categories. A good balance between performance and stability, I think.

I would like to suggest you put a solid (not bungee) cross connector between the leg straps. Keeps them from sliding down during certain maneuvers and will keep you more securely in the harness. l like your choice of a belly band. I've had rigs with those and like how it keeps the backpack snug. I've even used a detachable b/b from time to time. :)

Thorough equipment list, however new vs old isn't safer, airworthy vs not is the only comparis on there. You'll probably discover new things to add going forward, an audible or 2, additional altimeters (digital for canopy is great, chest mount or mudflap mount puts that altimeter in your field of vision while under canopy, cutaway sistem for your helmet, maybe a chroma visual indicator.

Training will keep you safe over all of the above. Specifically:

Proper gear maintenance and gear checks according to your manufacturer recommendations, packing according to your manufacturer recommendations (vs the shortcuts, "alternate/easier methods" or "I learned this trick from so and do over there" that I see all over packing mats everywhere).

Emergency Procedures training, in hanging harnesses, multiple times a session, with a buddy or instructor who can catch your bad habits and ask you what if questions to get you thinking through your procedures as they apply to your EP methods on your individual gear, the more often the better (I'd say once a month is ideal). Use the PD malfunction picturesand go through all of them showing your physical response (and response time) to each of them.

Training with your other tools: if you plan to rely on a hook knife, practice accessing it and using it and make sure it's a good one that will actually cut a line, bridle, or riser if needed (plastic ones = absolute crap). Since you have an AAD, what altitude will it fire? How high do you need to pull to give yourself time to sort out a malfunction before your AAD fires and all of your options to survive are deployed? How high do you need to break off to be sure you pull by that altitude? By what altirude do you commit to stopping monkeying around with a malfunction and instead cut away, deploy reserve, give that reserve time to inflate and you time to land safely?

...that kind of stuff. That saves your quality of life, not just your life. Also: reserve size (worst case scenario: landing no-input because you're unconscious, how much damage to your body is ok with you?) and choosing when to not jump due to winds, weather, pressure to exit/deploy low, or when there are people you don't trust not to kill you on your jump or in your plane.

jackwallace

you forgot a mirror. look in it every day before you jump. you'll see the most important thing to keep you safe

On a more serious note: some tandem instructors mount a small, convex mirror on their (left hand) altimeter strap to allow them to check drogues without twisting their necks into pretzels.

riggerrob

***you forgot a mirror. look in it every day before you jump. you'll see the most important thing to keep you safe

On a more serious note: some tandem instructors mount a small, convex mirror on their (left hand) altimeter strap to allow them to check drogues without twisting their necks into pretzels.

I was actually wondering about this the other day, and was unable to find any further information. Good looks. Anyone have firsthand experience with Mirage's TRAP system?

***Thorough equipment list, however new vs old isn't safer, airworthy vs not is the only comparis on there. You'll probably discover new things to add going forward, an audible or 2, additional altimeters (digital for canopy is great, chest mount or mudflap mount puts that altimeter in your field of vision while under canopy, ......

..........................................................................................

Something as important as altitude awareness deserves 2 or 3 monitoring methods.
Sense of time is one method, albeit a crude way to measure how long since you left the airplane.
Peripheral vision is better. For example, my favourite DZ is Whistler Skydive (Pemberton, B.C.) because they have a distinctive "V"'shaped glacier 5,000 feet above the runway.
If today's clouds are near opening altitude, they can be used to cross-check altitude.
In-helmet beepers are more accurate, but remember that terrified people go deaf.

Visual altimeters tell more, when you remember to look at them.
Long and rousing debates surround the choice of analog of digital altimeters. Since I learned to read clocks before digital watches were invented, I am more comfortable with old-school, analog altimeters.
I rarely read altimeter numbers any more, just look at the angle. If the needle is near the top (12,000') I know that I have plenty of freefall time remaining.
When the altimeter needle points down (6,000') I am approaching opening altitude (5,000 for tandems and accompanied freefall) and when the needle swings into the darker colours in the upper right quadrant, I bloody well better have a parachute overhead!

OTOH some young skydivers have only ever used digital watches, so feel more comfortable with digital altimeters.

I normally wear my analog altimeter on my left wrist (or right wrist when on the main side of FF students). But used to wear it on my chest because it was easier to read my buddy's altimeter across the formation. Modern mud-flap mounts look easier to read and I would consider a leg-strap mount for under-canopy stuff.

A few vidiots prefer flashing lights connected to their digital altimeters.

Finally, if you ignore all other altitude cues, an automatic activation device might save your sorry ass. ...... though some POPS consider that a cowardly way to open your reserve.
Hah!
Hah!

If safety is your utmost concern, keep in mind that what is referred to as "cutaway" on most full face helmets, is simply a quick-release buckle. It might work or not, that depends on having a little luck, basically. But it's not a proper cutaway like you have on most open-faces.
Other considerations apply. I have an open face with a camera setup and a "real" cutaway. I have a closed face without camera, with those quick-release thingy , that I use for RW/coach jumps etc.
In the first case, I consider the snag possibility as the deciding factor, in the second case the possibility of being kicked in the face is bigger, but then I don't fly camera.
Also, the closed face is more comfortable in freefall in my opinion, so I prefer it when going to full altitude, unless I have to shoot video.
The open face is more comfortable for hop and pops, which are by far my most common type of fun jump anyway.
I'm standing on the edge
With a vision in my head
My body screams release me
My dreams they must be fed... You're in flight.

JohnMitchell

***Get a reserve with at least one ride on it! that way you know it works! ahhahahahaha

I've test jumped several of my reserves as a main before putting it in my rig. :)
.........................................................................................

Would a modern Removeable Deployment System make it easier to test jump a reserve?
....... since most reserves lacks bridle attachment???????

riggerrob

Would a modern Removeable Deployment System make it easier to test jump a reserve?
....... since most reserves lacks bridle attachment???????

One was a 26' lopo (old fashioned round, for all you youngsters ;)).

One was a Raven reserve, so bridle included.

Last one was a 202, can't remember the brand, but I just spotted well and found the bag.

Yep, detachable bag would be nice. I'd love to jump some of the new PD reserves. I was hoping PD would be at LP, but I guess not.

riggerrob

Would a modern Removeable Deployment System make it easier to test jump a reserve? ....... since most reserves lacks bridle attachment???????

Yes, and that is a good idea for those who do not have access to static line direct bag components, which is how I jumped my Swift Plus before putting in my Pilot Emergency Parachute rig.