gaelforceone

NAA Eagle 160 question

Hi,
I have been looking for a good used Lightning 160 for about 6 months now,so far no joy,but there is an NAA Eagle 160 zero porosity set up for CReW for sale at the moment,any ideas on how compatable this will be with Lightnings...also why so few used Lightnings available...
Congratulations to all on the 100 way,it was BEAUTIFUL

Typically, most Lightning jumpers will tell you that very few or no other canopies match up well with the Lightning. And why is it hard to find available used Lightnings for sale? Because a good number of the crwdogs hoard them for several reasons. One - some have a certain size for the big ways, and a smaller size for team rotations. Two - they like to have extra canopies in case interested jumpers want to try CRW so they can do it the right way. Three - I can't think of anything, except to have a back up to use in case one is lost or damaged.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

If its who I'm thinking of I know of the seller you are talking about. Send me a PM with seller info and I'll let you know the rest about the canopy as I have seen it first hand.

I'd say listen to Billy but I can never understand him when he talks with his hands.

You can do crew with just about any two canopies you want. I have done it with a Hornet 170 and a Velo 103 as well as a Raven III 249 and a Lightning 143. The only problem is you will spend most of the dive trying to get the canopies close enough for a dock. If you wanna have a good time with CRW it is best if all jumpers are using the same canopy and are evenly matched on wing load.

Personally, I'd go with the Lightning as it is the most widely used CRW canopy out there.

CSA #699 Muff #3804

... and a Velo 103 ... The only problem ...

I wouldn't use the phrase "the only problem" when referring to CRW and you may want to reconsider using this type of canopy for any sort of contact. See the Wrap that Rascal thread and this video in particular for more.

Bob

So true... a myriad of problems can come out of mismatched canopies. Try a Triathlon 135 and a Jedei 136. Very evenly matched wingloadings, but they were dicey once we got together. Thankfully we broke it off before it got screwy. :S
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I so enjoyed the outcome of the Velo & Hornet CRW (I was jumping the Hornet). As I came in for a bottom dock he went into deep brakes, got a little lift and I slipped just under him. But before I had a chance to move away he stalled his canopy and fell right through mine wrapping one of my lines lines around his ankle. We bounced off each other and then all was cleared. My canopy was ok, he ended up with a line over that he had to chop. It was his first save on his own pack job.

The best part was I got to fly over the river following his canopy and then had to flag down some fisherman in a boat to go retrieve it off the island where it landed.

CSA #699 Muff #3804

Scott,

I so enjoyed the outcome of the Velo & Hornet CRW (I was jumping the Hornet). As I came in for a bottom dock he went into deep brakes, got a little lift and I slipped just under him. But before I had a chance to move away he stalled his canopy and fell right through mine wrapping one of my lines lines around his ankle. We bounced off each other and then all was cleared. My canopy was ok, he ended up with a line over that he had to chop. It was his first save on his own pack job.

I strongly suggest you view the video I posted a link to if you haven't already. All joking aside and with no offense intended, I highly recommend you leave the bravado on the ground when you jump. CRW specifically and parachuting and skydiving in general have no tolerance for complacency or mistakes. The next jump you make is the most important one, not the one you're on. We'd all like to be doing that with you as contrasted to starting yet another thread in Incidents or Blue Skies - In Memory Of.

Bob

Bob-

I hear what you are saying and YES, jokes aside agree CRW is not something to take lightly and should only be done with CRW specific gear as well as with experienced/ trained jumpers. Your links are a perfect example of what can happen and shows how both jumpers got lucky.

To be honest I have only done 3 HP canopy style jumps with miss matched canopies, one of them resulting in a chop. I was new to CRW at those times and have no planes to walk down the same path. I have seen first hand with others (all jumping lightnings) of what can happen in the blink of an eye. We all have done less than smart things and thankfully we can look back and laugh at ourselves and know we wont be making that mistake again. The wisdom gained is shown in both your posts trying to educate the up jumpers of what is safe and what is not.

CSA #699 Muff #3804

Hi,

Nice video, i have given up warning people of the dangers of crw on high performance canopies, if they do it and that happens and they survive they wont do it again (hopefully) and if they dont survive then they really wont do it again.

Plastic

...CRW specifically and parachuting and skydiving in general have no tolerance for complacency or mistakes...

Definitely well said, Bob. The video you posted is a good illustration of what can happen.

In watching the video, it looks to me that the second cutaway could very well have been a fatality. The jumper cut away with the other canopy still caught on his container, and it comes away with the freebag of the reserve. The reserve gets extracted from the mess and opens just fine. However, if one line had been positioned a little differently, he could have spent the rest of his life waiting for that reserve to open.

Cool music, though.B|

Kevin K.