avenfoto

my first decent crew jump...

did my first "real" crew jump at sunset saturday... buddy on a 235 at 1to1 and me on a sabre15o at 1.4 to 1.. he took 5, i clear and pulled, i was in pretty deep brakes most of the jump ( not the best matches canopy wise..) plenty of close flying, towards the bottom of the jump i ran across his topskin from right to left and what a rush!

i know its probably mickey mouse stuff for most of you guys but damn! i havent had that much excitement on a jump in quite some time...

just wanted to share.. any experienced crew dogs in the north florida area? what about crew camps... i want more:)

not experienced, not in North Florida, but know what you mean about the rush of doing CRW - it's what got me all excited about jumping out of planes again after starting to get bored 10 years after the first jump!

I now have my own gear, and next week-end the weather better play ball or I'll be >:(

tash

Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Being alive is a special occasion. Avril Sloe

So when do you guys think it's time to ask a "dog" (yeah I hate that word alright) about learning CRW?

Or: when should I think about trying some CRW jumps? Straight after AFF? A license? 111-222 jumps?

Thx

Straight after AFF? NO!!!
A license? Not even close.
50 jumps? I've seen it, if they show good canopy judgment.

100 jumps and good judgment is a nice starting point.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Straight after AFF? NO!!!
A license? Not even close.
50 jumps? I've seen it, if they show good canopy judgment.

100 jumps and good judgment is a nice starting point.

I'm going to amend my answers to include special exceptions. There have been jumpers right out of AFF that had the fortune of being taken under the wing of one of the best CRWdogs in the world, and that's okay.

I just hope that recreational crwdogs, much less those without CRW-specific canopies don't try this with brand new jumpers...
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I'd say that it's hard to put a number of jumps on it, because I don't know you and don't know the quality of CRW coaches available in your geographic area.

I can give you some do's and don't's:

DON'T do microline CRW. Borrow a real CRW canopy with dacron lines if you plan to make contact. Microline is fine for flying relative, bumping end cells, etc. If you plan to put legs in lines, get hold of a dacron-lined canopy.

DO learn safety procedures for wraps and entanglements _on the ground_ from a qualified CRWDog and by learning the info on this site:
http://crwdog.servebeer.com/CRWdog/CRW%20Info.html
before taking to the air.

DO ask your prospective coach:
*how many CRW (CF) jumps do you have?
*how many total jumps?
*how many CRWbies have you taught?
*how many wraps/entanglements have you been in?

Answers less than 50, 250, 1, and 1 (respectively) would make me want to look hard at the other answers and at whether I wanted to learn from this person. I'm not saying these are automatic disqualifiers, but they might give me pause.

DON'T downsize to too high a wing loading just to jump with your coach. Experienced CRWDogs are jumping at "expert" level wing loadings for competition and record-setting. A good coach will upsize for you, not expect the reverse.

DO pay attention to how you are currently controlling your canopy and landing, and be honest with yourself about your abilities. Do you biff in a lot? Are you sometimes oblivious in the pattern? CRW can help develop better awareness, but it also requires a certain baseline level of vigilance and awareness. If you're already heads-up, great. If not, work on being aware of other jumpers in the air, setting up a good pattern, and landing where and how you want to are good ways to build that awareness.

DO start as soon as you can - it's an amazing discipline!! B|

"You guys should just do CRW. There are so many more ways to get killed, it makes a CYPRES seem safe." -Kevin Keenan

avenfoto! you too huh? come to twin and build an Idaho CRW team with me.

tree and I tried to teach ourselves last year and it didnt work out so well. Eric Gallan came up memorial weekend and we did 2-stack rotations and some biplanes. I'm ordering a lighting but I need another crw dog out here. i got tons of hook knives in the hangar.

here's a pic.

CRW is definately where its at. With jump tickets going up and freeflailers moving to tunnel flying I hope to see more canopy disciplines like CRW flourish.

suck it easy,
Abbie Mashaal
Skydive Idaho
Snake River Skydiving
TandemBASE

CRW is definitely a new amazing high. I'm at the point where I'm trying to decide to get a used PDLightning or hold out for a new PDStorm.:S I'm leaning towards the Storm for the fact that it's a good canopy for Wingsuiting as well as CRW. Although I'm not sure that the Storm is compatible with the Lightning so that would leave me out of current CRW camps which are mainly still using Lightnings....:S
Perhaps if l win the CO lottery some day soon and be able to buy a lot of Storms and equip SteveA, SteveS, Dave, Kevin, and Keith with a Storm so they can jump with me:D

avenfoto

go to Lake Wales - they have lots of CRW dogs there. And lots of fun / training weekends.
Contact the DZ and they will look after you.

I flew half way around the world to do some nice "big ways" there. :)
Tom B

Stay Safe - Have Fun - Good Luck

The above could be crap, thought provoking, useful, or . . But not personal. You decide.

I demo'd a Storm 190 loaded at 1.1 this weekend.
For someone of my experience (or lack thereof) it's an awesome ride.
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

Congrats on the jump. :)
I didn't get to do any CReW with it by the way, just basic canopy control as it was a freefall setup.
Still, what a ride! I was actually a bit nauseous after landing, from all those radical turns I did up high... Definitely a fir.. er, "pre-second".:)

"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom