j-rodd

HOW TO PACK A TAIL POCKET

If you do tail pocket, or free pack like I have seen some crew do it, and for some reason have to take it to terminal that would hurt like a B!! right?

When I had my Lightning, it had a tail pocket, and no, I never wanted to take it to terminal for any reason. I still packed it in a way to soften the openings enough. Even with a 1 second delay, openings can hurt with some packing methods.

Edited to add: I never did any competition jumps but those that do, probably set their pack jobs to open damn near instantaneously. B|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I packed my tail pocketed Lightning like a reserve with a totally exposed nose, etc. for competition. Barely clearing the A/C out the door almost always resulted in a horizontal deployment with my feet at the horizon. There's sweet spot with fast opening deployments in the 2-3 second range after exiting. That allows the body to slow down horizontally before the vertical velocity builds up too much. I've deployed the same setup in the 8-9 second range due to a dropped PUD and while vertical the deployment was, shall I say, brisk and memorable.

It's quite possible to pack a tail pocket for reasonably gentle openings. The two items I've used with great success one or both at a time are rolling the nose extremely tightly to the B lines and not stowing the brakes. I roll all the cells together in one direction. Be sure to clear the stabilizers in all cases as that is a key ingredient in avoiding off-heading openings. Many are wary of not stowing brakes but it works fine for Lightning CRW for several reasons: 1) It slows down the deployment such that the brakes can be grabbed while the canopy is still deploying, 2) an off-heading opening can be corrected while it's still occurring, and 3) the formation turn and/or collision avoidance can be initiated as early as possible.

Bob

I experimented with not stowing the brakes for a while, but while the openings were quite soft, I got line twists about 50% of the time.

What works for me is just burying the nose to the tail like I do on my freefall canopies. I rarely have a hard opening on my Lightning and it stays on heading this way too.