j-rodd

HOW TO PACK A TAIL POCKET

I was typing a reply, then noticed you're a rigger yourself.

Do you really want to figure this one out by yourself, going on what someone wrote on Duh Innernet? Is that what's meant by 'I will be sure, always' ?

Get a packing manual from the manufacturer and/or get someone to help you who knows how it's done. Preferably both. Save yourself the frustration. An experienced CReW-dog or another rigger with the applicable experience can help you muck with the deployment system. There are possibilities to fuck up royally, believe me.

Does it have a slider or a spider, or are you planning to exchange that as well? In light of the tail pocket and retractable PC, a spider may make sense on a Tri. No more terminal openings of course.

Take good care of your unique specimen. I for one have never heard of a Tri 163!

(Oh, and please fix your keyboard. It seems your Caps Lock is stuck, and I hear you screaming across the pond. Unnerving.)

Good luck with it. CRW is fun!
Johan.
I am. I think.

i would love to see a manual and have contacted aerodyne with no luck. it's an ar-7 a predacesor to the curent tri's and and they tell because the company had changed hands they have no info on it.

there are a couple of old dogs around here but were in the off season right now so they're all sleeping somewhere. i will deffinetly get some help from them whern we start back up.

it has a slider on it. and i have put a d-bag and kill
line p/c that it fits in on for now. till i learn how to negotiate with this thing.

i was on my work computer all caps is used to enter data, sorry.

How far are you from Rochester, NY? There's a couple crwdogs in that area that if asked, might could help you through an in-person packing demo.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

it has a slider on it. and i have put a d-bag and kill
line p/c that it fits in on for now. till i learn how to negotiate with this thing.

AR-7s have a nasty rep for some of the harshist openings. You may want to keep it in a d-bag for a while before trying the tail pocket. There is a percentage of Dawgs that don't use the tail pocket and like a bag. I personally like it better for longer delays.

Hi,

I hope the guys you are going to jump with also have ar-7s as these canopies are not compatable with either lightnings or triathlons. I have a few jumps on an ar-7 and we had a couple of teams in the uk that used them in the mid 90's.

As for packing, they pack the same as a lightning, the openings are ok but they do not land well which was the main downfall of this design.

Plastic

You do need to be careful when packing a dbag and retractable bridle: it's very easy to get holes in your canopy if you do not clear the fabric from between the rings. Oh well, i like a few rays of sunshine through the roof :):D

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I love the story I heard once about AR-7's landing.

A friend was going up to jump one, and he asked the other guys about how they land. They told him to take a rock up with him in the jumpsuit. At a hundred feet, drop the rock and that would be where he would land.

He went up, did that, and couldn't find the rock. Pounded in hard, and as he lay there groaning, the rock hit him in the head :-)

I love the story I heard once about AR-7's landing.

A friend was going up to jump one, and he asked the other guys about how they land. They told him to take a rock up with him in the jumpsuit. At a hundred feet, drop the rock and that would be where he would land.

He went up, did that, and couldn't find the rock. Pounded in hard, and as he lay there groaning, the rock hit him in the head :-)

:D:D:D:D:D

Those things sound as bad as Diamants/Rubies B|

ciel bleu,
Saskia

:D
:D
:)
That is hilarious.

By the way Wendy, who makes "the rock" crw canopy? Sounds better than predecessors. That is not the name of the new PD canopy is it.

http://ozcrw.tripod.com/landings.htm = Landing Techniques. All canopies land ok if you know how to land that particular canopy. Bear in mind that there are varying margins for error for different designs.

http://ozcrw.tripod.com/equipment.htm = Picture of Diamant.
Stay Safe - Have Fun - Good Luck

The above could be crap, thought provoking, useful, or . . But not personal. You decide.

So does one pack a CRW tail pocket just like a BASE tail pocket??

(Single central elastic at the bottom, then figure eight the lines from top of pocket to bottom, partially overlapped. The initial central stow tucks in a slot between pocket and canopy, so that the bight doesn't interfere with the S-folds. E.g., see attached photo from the Atair Troll manual.)

Or does the pouch alsso have elastics, in which case standard side-side S-folds from top to bottom would replace the figure eights? (The central elastic would still be used first.)

(I jumped with some ex Plaid Jackets using canopies just with a flap sewn to the trailing edge of the canopy, with elastics since there was no covering flap to create a pouch. The lines were stowed as I just mentioned above.)

I stow my Lightning lines like in your photo, but with slider up at the stops, quartered before stowing the lines. I don't bother sticking the 1 bight in the pocket... it takes extra time & I've never had any problems with the 1 bight just lying there under the S-folded line.

I Belive, having been coached for several years by vincent ferrer - ex french team and designer (or at least part designer) of the diamant\rubis - that many years ago the french team purchased from aerodyne the rights to make their own canopies based on the design of the ar7.

This was when the team moved away from the contact manufactured by parachutes de france, i think after bill haslet's team won the rotations in thailand 1990 on ar7's.

From time to time they would make minor changes to each canopy to improve the characterisitics of the canopy to match their techniques. Although the canopies are now much changed from the original design, the ar7 landing characteristics still remain i believe with the rubis.

We (uk sequential team, world meet 2001) did buy and jump diamants for a while and found the landings ok, although i have never jumped a rubis.

The diamants were a good sequential canopy but took a lot more getting used to than a lightning and we did not get enough training jumps on them before the world meet and our scores suffered for it.

After 2001 i left the team and my diamant with it.

I believe i have my facts more or less correct, however if anybody knows better then feel free to correct me.

Plastic

I jumped an AR7 for a couple of years. Tail pocket. No particularly hard openings. The landings were brutal, though. (Think 3 months with 1 stand up landing while doing team.... Not that I have fabulous landings, just it was the longest run of bad landings I've ever had.)

At rotations, they were fabulous, dahling!

And they are compatible with some other canopies, as long as you aren't used to compatible parachutes. :)

The AR7 essentially revolutionised Rotations - a massive difference to any previous CRW canopy. Bill H's team certainly showed that in 1990.

We ordered our first set in 1991 and found out what truly bad landings were really like (made worse with a 5000' DZ)! We loved them in the air, though.

The French Rubis was apparently based on the AR7. We jumped those for a couple of years as well. Also pretty bad landers.

Openings on the AR7, the Rubis and the Tri are all pretty much the same (my opinion).

Like all canopies, you get used to the landings as Tom says, but thankfully the Tri's land MUCH better!

Re the initial query: if you can get a CRW Triathlon packing manual - the tail pocket and pilot chute retraction system is identical.

Hi there, plastic
You have a great memory!
Our Rubis were getting tired, so a kind canopy manufacturer made us a set of canopies that were remarkably similar to what we had before...
Only two sets were ever made.
They were called Raptors after a previous team name of ours.
Actually still landed like shit, but we were used to that by then.
Cheers
A

Please,

I expect that the tail pocket for a Tri 160 is almost the same size as for 175.

The measurements are as good as I could make them by stretching out the fabric. Obviously the pieces should be cut larger to account for "shrinkage" during sewing.

Walt

Those things sound as bad as Diamants/Rubies

Never had any problems with the Rubis OR Diamants @ all.You just have to know how to land a canopy, I think, that's all...