mnealtx

Which hook knife to get?

Ok, my darling g/f told me that I need to post this here and get the Dawg's viewpoints.

I currently have the metal Vector hook knife (similar to this on the left leg strap.

While browsing the PX, I bought one of these, but with a different type of soft sheath - I plan on putting this on the chest strap.

They also have this folding type.

I didn't know if the ERT knife would be a viable hook knife or not, in addition to the Model 5 and the Vector metal knife.

What say ye, Dawgs? Has anyone seen/messed with the ERT?
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Get a jack the ripper for your cheststrap. Get another small hookknife (not a zack) for your mudflap.

Thanks, Saskia - I should mention that I already picked up the Type 5... just didn't know if the 10105 would be a good addition or not. I'll have to change the poll (if it'll let me).
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Jack the ripper is a good choice. I'm getting a new jumpsuit soon, which will have a built in pocket for one. I also have the small knife on my mudflap that came with my rig.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

You know what they say about hookknives - you need two.

You drop the first one, then you use the second one.

So the second one had better be useful. If it's just reserve line-overs you're worried about, a small one might do. If you're into serious CReW, you seem to need at least a foot of metal to really fuck up the canopy your buddy just wrapped around you.
Johan.
I am. I think.

Forget any folding type knife. Benchmade also makes a model 7, which is easier to grip than a model 5. For a long handle knife, go with the Raptor from Square-1. For under the mudflap, go with a 4 inch SURE-CUT, and use a sheath to keep the blades away from your MLW.

Forget any folding type knife. Benchmade also makes a model 7, which is easier to grip than a model 5. For a long handle knife, go with the Raptor from Square-1. For under the mudflap, go with a 4 inch SURE-CUT, and use a sheath to keep the blades away from your MLW.

Ok, that's the type of info I was hoping for, thank you.

I already bought the model 5 - no model 7 at the PX and it was an impulse buy - more knives can't hurt, right?

I'll look at the other ones you mention, though.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Whatever one you get, try it out on some line laying around. If it doesn't cut easily, it probably isn't what you want.

You might try it out on microline, too, although CRWdogs generally don't do serious crw with microlined canopies.

Thanks for the tip! I'm pretty sure the rigger will have some Dacron laying around (my S2 has Dacron lines).
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Ok, that's the type of info I was hoping for, thank you.

I also think Dean's info is good. Going to a guy named "Slasher" for hook knife advise is always a good move.

As was said before, the Square 1 knives are good. The poly one is very reasonably priced, and is very strong - not like the old orange plastic ones.

Kevin

Howdy Kevin - thanks for the advice.

I've got UPT's version of the metal Square 1 knife on my legstrap already. I bought the type 5 at the PX (and will probably get the plastic snap-in sheath for a mudflap mount, if I don't get a different knife) and saw the ERT and thought that it could make a decent hook knife as well.

I haven't checked out the ones mentioned by Slasher (cool nick) yet, but I will.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I've only used a hook knife once under canopy, and that was a rather mild situation. I like the safety of the folding knife, (less likely to cut something unintentionally) but I think that in a hectic situation, unfolding the knife would be much harder than one may expect. That's why my vote would be for the "ready-to-cut" models.

Kevin

You could try here http://ww.safetyknife.com/ or paragear. try to stay away form any knife that hasa plastic handle. Captain hooks and jack the rippers are good, but the plastic and twist trapping lines between the blades. the metal handles prevent that.

Gunnery Sergeant of Marines
"I would like it if I were challenged mentally at my job and not feel like I'm mentally challenged." - Co-worker

Ok, my darling g/f told me that I need to post this here and get the Dawg's viewpoints.

I currently have the metal Vector hook knife (similar to this on the left leg strap.

While browsing the PX, I bought one of these, but with a different type of soft sheath - I plan on putting this on the chest strap.

They also have this folding type.

I didn't know if the ERT knife would be a viable hook knife or not, in addition to the Model 5 and the Vector metal knife.

What say ye, Dawgs? Has anyone seen/messed with the ERT?

Don't know if you looked at the Benchmade Model 8 or not. I am currently working with Benchmade on designing a better version of the model 8 for Military use. I should have some prototypes around Jan 09 sometime. However, the current Model 8 would be a good choice to consider IMO.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Most of the folks below have mentioned something that is just as important as having a good knife. Have 2 knives. One around your chest level and the other one low in a thigh pocket or leg strap.

My standard setup is a small one on my chest strap and my jack the ripper in my thigh pocket. My pocket doesn't have a flap, just velcro. I put my jack in the pocket and leave the lanyard sticking out of one corner pinned between the velcro. No digging around. Just grab the lanyard and guide it into your hand.