jojo69

equipment and training questions

I own a M3 with a Spectra 190. I have never done CRW but it is something I think I would like to investigate. Are there specific canopies for CRW? What would be the best type (7 cell vs 9 cell)? Is there a specific wing load that is optimal?

Are there schools that specialize in CRW. I have taken a canopy course with Scott Miller. We did not however discuss CRW. We did discuss swooping which is something I have no interest in.

I did a search but most of the stuff was over a year old. Thanks in advance for any advice.

You want a 7cell for crw. The lightning is the canopy of choice, some other canopies are jumped too. You can do casual crw with your spectre too but a real crw setup is safer. The wingload depends on what the others are flying, currently 1.3-1.4 seems to be used a lot but if you're not ready for the "common" wingload then the other(s) will probably adjust to you.
Searching posts from a year old is fine, the info stays fairly current.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Jojo, I would second what both Saskia and Chuck tell you in the messages above. They are steering you in the right direction.

I would add that, at the begining, it is best to work with experienced CRW jumpers on a one-on-one basis.

Are there schools that specialize in CRW?

There are several jumpers around the country that can train you the right way.

In Georgia, I don't know of anyone near Augusta. However, if you jump in the Atlanta area, look up Mark Gregory, Chris Gay, or Chris Warnock.

Further south, Mike Lewis or myself can put together a training program for you in Zephyrhills or Lake Wales, FL. Let me know if interested.

Raul

Thank you Saskia!

That was an interesting and memorable jump. As far as I know I think that's the only time that formation has ever been built. We built it with PD XC-107's during an 8-way speed practice in Lake Wales in 2004. It wasn't easy.

What canopy is an XC? Never heard of that, PD Don't know it, Google doesn't ..

Good question. Maybe Raul made a typo? I dunno, but I do know that PD has overhauled or redesigned the Lightning, and there are jumpers out there racking up test jumps on the new version. I just don't think it was out in 2004.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I'm pretty sure XC stands for "experimental canopy".

April

You're probably right. But in 2004? I guess I thought this particular canopy didn't get air time until a couple years later.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

What canopy is an XC? Never heard of that, PD Don't know it, Google doesn't ..

April is correct. The "XC" is PD's designation for eXperimental Canopy. PD usually takes quite a bit of time testing new canopies before bringing them to market. These are the next generation of CRW canopies from PD. Sometimes they refer to them as "Lightning II" or "The Storm" which, at the moment, are the tentative marketing names for the canopies. We jumped them at the 2004 World Championships in Croatia. The same thing happened back in the 1980's when we were jumping the experimental version of the Ligntnings long before they had a name. As in 2004, back in 1990 we also had a chance to compete at the World Championships in Thailand with the canopies before they had a name.

"The data on the MiG are inaccurate."

The XC is not "the next generation of CRW canopies" so much as an all-around canopy that happens to also do CF quite well. It is not being marketed as a CRW canopy as that is not what it was primarily designed to do. I know that PD are NOT planning to call it "Lightning II" for just this reason.
"You guys should just do CRW. There are so many more ways to get killed, it makes a CYPRES seem safe." -Kevin Keenan

... I know that PD are NOT planning to call it "Lightning II" for just this reason.

Of course, PD will call it what ever they choose, but somehow I didn't take Chris' calling out "The next Storm jump is in ten minutes" on the armory PA real well. I'm not sure why ... B|

Any PD folks lurking? Rusty ... Kolla ... PM me. Perhaps I'll remember why ... :o

Bob

I didn't take Chris' calling out "The next Storm jump is in ten minutes" on the armory PA real well. I'm not sure why ... B|
Bob

At least it's "Truth in Advertising". That way those who want to jump in a storm won't miss it...:)