skyjumpenfool

Crew Returns to Skydive Twin Cities! Now What?

OK Walt, ,I'll bite!
If your willing to post it I'd love to know more about Crw Balls!

Oh, this is too easy... :D

Gunnery Sergeant of Marines
"I would like it if I were challenged mentally at my job and not feel like I'm mentally challenged." - Co-worker

I heard a rumor that there is the new PD CReW canopy soon to be released. I heard that will open softer and have a much better landing than the lightning yet be just as practical for CReW.

Soon a new "all around" canopy tentavily called the storm will be on the market from PD. Slap on a solid piece to the mesh slider, quick change of the bridle with a bag and go free fall. It was debuted during the record week. It does land better, open better and at higher wing loads is a very zippy canopy. The thing is on rev 17 right now and I think they are done with the R&D. Those canopies are record and gold medal canopies. The two way sequential record done at the nationals was performed under 97 size. All the CRW gold medals were performed under 97's with the exception of 8 way speed where two 107s used. In Russia at the world meet 4 way sequential record was set with 97's. I demoed a 120 and loaded it to 1.6 absolutly a great canopy to fly and land. The 107 rev 10 I used for comp was great but with all small canopies you have to pay much more attention to landing. Some of the chatter from other CRW dogs that demoed them said that if you are using a 143 at the normal "record wing load"now maybe a 150 with this new one is best. So now solves the problem with getting new dogs with less jumps to down size so much. I think that when this canopy comes out it will be much easier to grow CRW. Once the teams start using them we won't have our equipment advantage anymore.

Gunnery Sergeant of Marines
"I would like it if I were challenged mentally at my job and not feel like I'm mentally challenged." - Co-worker

:)OK! Now were talking. This is what we're looking for, new and fun ways to develope CRW programs. Keep the ideas coming...

Although, when you mentioned CReW Balls, I first thought was you were talking about ways to develop the curage to do CReW
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

He haw ha hi.

You obviously have not done a 100 way formation or sub 4 sec rotations or Crazy CRW with the Canadians. :P

When you are limited to a 1 point 2 way - it may appear to be slow. :o

Apples and oranges I guess. ;)

p.s. I have come closer to death swooping than doing crew. But hey, that is just skewed data. :ph34r:;)

From the perspective of most student jumpers that is

p.s. that fact that you mention student jumpers suggests that their experience base and knowledge are limited.

For the others reading this thread and wanting to promote CRW - the above comment is a valid hint. People just don't know the value of something until they experience it in some shape or form. This may be as simple as flying alongside a newby and bumping end cells. Better done under a compete instructional program with an experienced tutor.

CreW is playing Tetris in the sky with slow ass canopies.

That is a great quote and idea for promoting CRW. I mean, lets face it, half the worlds population (with PC access) plays Tetris. Now we just need to convince them of how much more fun Tetris is with canopies.

CRW sponsored by Microsoft - Accessories - Games!!!!

Bill??????? You're a philanthropist aren't you?
Stay Safe - Have Fun - Good Luck

The above could be crap, thought provoking, useful, or . . But not personal. You decide.

New canopy = Yes. It is unofficially called the "Storm".

The 2003 USA rotations team used it at Gap and got the silver with stuff all practice jumps. The sequential and 8 way people have been using it since (preferred canopy by the top USA competitive people) - and they have won World Championships and broken world records. So I guess they must be OK. ;)

Rusty from PD had a bunch of demo canopies that were trialled the few days after the 100 way record at Lake Wales in Florida. Good comments back from all with more jumps required.

The newer canopies are much better than the old F111 seven cells (many reasons). Landings are fine as long as you do them properly (see http://ozcrw.tripod.com/landings.htm for some info).

r.e. doing CRW - it is just like ANY formation flying - it is easier to do when everything is compatiable. Two biplanes do better formations than an airbus A380 with an ultralight gyrocopter!!!! This means match canopies, line lengths, wing loadings, trims, etc. . . . . and it is easier to stick together and you are much less likely to have issues. If you dock heading in the same direction, you are less likely to have issues too.

There is a bunch of info r.e. training at http://ozcrw.tripod.com/training.htm. Follow the links on this site to lots of other CRW sites too.

If you contact some of the regular USA CRW people and ask them specific questions about your wants and needs, you will be able to get someone to come to your DZ to run a seminar. I am sure that Wendy (the CRW forum moderator) will be able to put you into touch with the right people.

Faililng that, I would be ahppy to come over... ;):P:)

Stay Safe - Have Fun - Good Luck

The above could be crap, thought provoking, useful, or . . But not personal. You decide.

New canopy = Yes. It is unofficially called the "Storm".

Rusty from PD had a bunch of demo canopies that were trialled the few days after the 100 way record at Lake Wales in Florida. Good comments back from all with more jumps required.

:P:)

So Mate how did you like the storm?

BTW pleasure meeting you in Perris @ the chicks dock boogie.:ph34r:

waltappel

I've attached a pic of what I call a "canopy ball". The idea is to have something that is the equivalent of what freeflyers call a "space ball", only you play with in when you're under canopy.

We have found that using from 2 to 4 ounces of shredded paper will give you the fall range you need. Start with 2 oz.for a *very* lightly loaded canopy (e.g., less than 1:1), 3 oz. for a moderately loaded canopy, and 4 oz. for an agressive canopy. You can tune the fall rate easily by adding or removing 1/2 oz. at a time.

I should mention here that there is absolutely *no* problem with canopy balls getting tangled in your suspension lines. You are unlikely to notice any change in your canopy's flight characteristics.

This is the fun part! The idea is to chase it, catch it, and release it again for some more fun. For another challenge, you can pass it back and forth between two canopies.
Walt

Sorry to resurrect an old thread - I just wanted to share that I ran across this post, and decided to give it a shot. It's been a lot of fun B|

I found that a 2oz total weight gives a good descent rate for a canopy loaded at ~1.3 - we've done it with Storms and Sabre2s.

A good starter technique is to setup wide and a little low, then float up on it on a straight-in approach. Flying tighter is more challenging. As Walt noted, getting it caught in your lines is no problem at that wing loading.

The nice thing about using the biodegradable flagging tape vs pvc is that it's not as slippery, so if you manage to get some tail wrapped around something accessible on a bad catch, the ball doesn't slide off ;)