redramdriver

Connector strap w/3 ring release

I'm not a CRew Dog, but some of my best friends are. The question I have is, do you have any information and/or diagrams concerning a 2 person 3 ring release type of connector strap used for side by side crew?? I may not have it exactly correct, but you may know what i'm talking about. They are using it when doing downplanes or the such. Where, either jumper may release away from the other at any time using the release cable on their end of the strap.
The jumpers are attached together with the strap, but can independently cut away from the other one on the jump. I hope you have an idea of what I'm trying to describe here. If you have any information, or know of someone who can help, thank you. Mark
So, you bring your beer?

Its 5 o'clock somewhere
POPS #9344

I've seen many variations on "death straps" as their often referred to. I personally haven't jumped them myself and prefer not due to the malfuction modes, but I know many who [mostly successfully] have. Perhaps Wendy (faulknerwm) will chime in, since she's used them on a few occasions.

While there are several variations, it is important to have passive release mechanisms at both ends of any given attachment. If for any reason anyone lets go of the attachment device, it releases. A normal three ring is not sufficient as pulling the cable is an active motion.

I know a guy who was one of four building a quad by side. The formation built to three with no problems. When four docked, his canopy wrapped around an active release mechanism. A massive wrap ensued in which no one could release and all four crash landed hard.

Bob

Bob, thanks for responding. As I said, I'm not a CReW Dog, and am just looking for some friends. Your description of that wrap was a reason for not wanting to use this device. Maybe it would be a complete one time reason for never using them that many have chosen not to. I'm just looking for a diagram of photo of one that has been built for descriptive uses only. If they choose to use it then it is their choice. Personally, I haven't done CRW and am not ready to do much more than observe at this time. And, since winter is really on our backs, looks like spring will have to come before any more jumping here. Thanks for you answer.

Mark
So, you bring your beer?

Its 5 o'clock somewhere
POPS #9344

Two very experienced crw jumpers died on a demo out west when they couldnt' release their strap.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

I've jumped them a few times and think they are a blast! I'm not going to post any details, though, because they need to be done right or not at all and I'm just not knowledgeable enough about their construction.

Be aware that the design needs to enable *all* of the connected jumpers to release, though, and the release handle needs to be *very* accessible.

Walt