StefB

Results British CF Nationals 2007

Hi,

Ignore the 2-way results.

The judging was found to be so inconsistent that most of the teams put in protests about the judging. The judges then threatened the competitiors that if they did not withdraw the protests they would leave the competition, the competitors refused to be blackmailed in this way so all the event judges resigned and left before the competition was complete.

No medals were awarded for the 2-way and the discs have been retained to be judged at a later date by a qualified fai judge.

One example of this was heat on rd 4 only did 7 formations but were scored 8 points. The chief judge asked the event judges to review this dive they did and claimed the score was correct, despite all the teams being able to view this dive on camtrix which was playing all the dives on monitors around the dropzone and all being in agreement that they had only reached the 7th formation in the sequence, apart from heat who made no comment.

Interesting note, heat were jumping i believe velocity 99's or something similar.

Due to bad weather only 3 rounds of rotations were done and the sequential never got started and will be re-arranged for another date.

plastic

Will Do. [:/]

Before the competition started, we showed one of the judges the omniskore video of the us nationals where chris gay's 2-way team scored their world record 16 points.

This judge (who is not fai qualified) announced to us that a lot of the points were busts, when we told him that this was an official score as judged by fai judges his response was "I dont care what they say, in my book i would have busted a lot of those points". at that point we knew we were going to have problems.

This has come as a culmination of 2 years worth of problems with the same judges. The main reason for the protests this year was that this is a selection nationals for the next world championships, and there is a criteria for teams to get funding which is based on previous world meet scores, so it is improtant for our competition to be judged to the same criteria so as to make a fair comparison.

plastic

As someone who was at the Nationals and privvy to the conversation mentioned about Chris Gay's world record, the true record of what was said has been distorted out of all proportion, and it seems that this has been deliberatly done to portray the judge/judges (names not known) as incompetent.
Whether this is just sour grapes from someone who at the time was losing the competion to a new team to CF, or this has been done to deliberatly discredit the judge/judges i dont know? but what i do know is that in the past the said judges whom i am sure have been the same judges at all the CF comps for the last few years that i can remember have always been fair to all and every team. if this was not the case then why was this problem not brought to the fore sooner. Plastic put your nappy back on and pick up your dummy. This will put CF and the BPA back atleast 3 years the time i believe it takes to train a judge to national standard.

Ali,

Just to put the record straight. The team i was on was in last place, and by a long way, The reason for this was that we jumped like a bunch of muppets on the day and no amount of re-judging was going to change that.

I feel that is a reason i can make an impartial comment on this. However you may have a point in what you say so i will ask the moderator to remove all my posts on this thread.

As for discrediting the event judges though i think they may have done that when they walked away from the competition before it had finished, at that point I had not entered a protest either, not that it matters now.

If you want to make comments on here, at least register a profile with your real name, lets people know who you are and what your opinions are, this is not personal, and nor was anything intended to be personal in any comment i made about any of the judges.

Regards
Plastic

Just a thought....

If you can list the specific rule(s) and possible interpretations, perhaps that rule(s) can be re-written to be more clear for next year.

Thinking back, it seems like the CRW rules used to say something about the canopy docking being in control. That is not there now. A dock/formation that starts out with legal grips and then goes bad, well, you can get credit for it now.

This message may sound out of place if previous comments about British Nationals are taken out of this thread. However, for any team to progress, they must know the rules when they are practicing for their nationals. And then they must be able to understand the reasoning behind a bust.

This forum is an excellent opportunity to make things better in the future.

Hi Cheryl,

Good points and very true, the whole object of the exercise is to get clarity of the rules and then make sure that dives are judged to the rules as printed.

The lack of clarity and different interpretation of unclear rules even at international level is making this much harder at domestic level.

Considering the 2-way competition was meant to encourage new teams in the discipline the problems being experienced may well start to have the opposite effect if this continues.

Plastic