selbbub78

Forced to get an AAD

Hey guys,

My DZ is requiring AADs for anything. I personally don't like using an AAD for CRW but it is small CRW at my dropzone (4 ways mostly) and I'm looking for opinions. I'm really looking at the Argus, Vigil, and Cypress, but wonder if anyone out here has any experience with it, or likes their AAD, or basically think any AAD does the same thing. Can i get some feedback from you guys?

CReW SKies,
bubbles :-)
"Women fake orgasms - men fake whole relationships" – Sharon Stone
"The world is my dropzone" (wise crewdog quote)
"The light dims, until full darkness pierces into the world."-KDM

I'm guessing you're in Alaska, right? Is that DZ the only one you can go to in close proximity? Might as well get an aad if you want to keep jumping. You could just turn it off when you want to do CRW, just don't tell the DZO. :)

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I agree with Billy - stealthily turn it off :-) If you can't go anywhere else, I'd definitely go with the Cypres. Its tried and true and isn't still having "rookie" problems.

Yeah, and just how much longer are you staying in Alaska, bubbles? Maybe you could find a used Cypres that has just enough life left in it to cover the rest of your time up there, until you move. I figure a Cypres would be worth how many years left in its life X $100+/-. Just a thought.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I agree with Billy - stealthily turn it off :-) If you can't go anywhere else, I'd definitely go with the Cypres. Its tried and true and isn't still having "rookie" problems.

Yeah, and just how much longer are you staying in Alaska, bubbles? Maybe you could find a used Cypres that has just enough life left in it to cover the rest of your time up there, until you move. I figure a Cypres would be worth how many years left in its life X $100+/-. Just a thought.

Heehee... I moved up here. This year's been hard, but that'll change soon.

And yes, i'm talking about here in Alaska, and No there isn't any other dropzones within who knows HOW many miles... [:/][:/][:/]

I hate this required AAD rule, but at the same time, i understand where they're coming from...[:/][:/][:/]

I have only done crw for the last 10 years (a handfull of freefall jumps maybe) which amounts to about 1000 crw jumps. I dont have a cypres but if my dz made me get one i would turn it on, why not.

The only real problem you may experience is a potential cypres fire when doing a fast low downplane but i dont do them anymore and i would not recommend a: doing them on high performance crw canopies and b: taking them low, reason being i believe at my stage of the game they are an unnecessary risk for minimal amount of reward.

If you go through 750' in a wrap that is fast enough to fire a cypres then you are in a world of hurt anyway so a cypres may do you as much good as harm.

Ever hear of a tail strike on a crw exit, i have, one lead to a jumper being unconcious and unable to pull, with no aad, result = fatality.

Alternatively remko will tell you to get a tertiary, again a usefull piece of kit if you ever need it but will not keep the "cypres is mandatory" brigade happy.

All food for thought.

Plastic

how about get a old one and just put the display in the window :P

I like that idea!!! :):):)

Only issue with that is its a violation of FAR 105.43: (c) If installed, the automatic activation device must be maintained in accordance with manufacturer instructions for that automatic activation device.

Airtec will not approve the installation of a 12 year old unit even if its cutter is removed. Installing it would be a FAR violation for the rigger packing it.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I just grew a set of BALLS and am going to say the following:

Bubbles...many of us who know your history of "close calls" would agree that an AAD would be a good idea. Please don't get a sticker or fake having something that could save your life on the next "close call".

say whatever you want, it doesn't take balls to say that. Considering that those events have been discussed and talked about already, if you read my post to this site you'll know that i'm looking at people's experiences with the fore-mentioned AADs and possibly others! So that being said, please can you give me your experience with it, instead of changing the topic at hand. Thanks! :)
CReW Skies,
bubbles

So in your CRW AAD experience which do you like? As my originial post stated? Please feel free to enlighten me

Here is a tip, if your dz makes aad mandatory and you are thinking of a way of circumventing this rule, just do it and dont advetise it on a web site that is read worldwide.

How do you know that some of the staff from your dz dont check this forum from time to time.

Alternatively, if you think that you don't need an aad or just dont want to buy one then jump at a dz where one is not required, or dont jump at all.

Be careful about circumventing rules cos if you go in you may get somebody else in trouble as a result.

If you go with an aad then the cypres really seems to be the tried and tested tool for the job.

plastic

Hi there,

I've been using a Cypres for many years now without any problems, bth for CReW and freefall.
Also many others here in the Netherlands use a Cypres for CReW.
All the new one's, Vigil and Argus, have not been used long enough to get good experience with.

Marc

Be careful about circumventing rules cos if you go in you may get somebody else in trouble as a result.

Yeah, like the jump plane pilot...

Doing some searches on this forum, the only issues I saw with Cypreses were radio frequency problems 4-5 years ago which have been addressed. I did see one thread where a Cypres opened in a CRW formation, but this was many years ago and according to the op the Cypres was beyond it's 12 year lifecycle.

Has anything occurred since those incidents with in date Cypres units? What about any other current technology AAD?
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

plastic

for the record, i would never do that cause A. i don't have the guts to do that, and B. the DZ up here has reasons (reasons i understand) why they have to make it AAD mandatory. Reasons that make sense, and C. I would NEVER want to close the DZ down up here.

thus my post about what people like and don't like about their AADs. The DZ is loaning me one through the end of the season, but i still need to think about getting one.

Thanks again,
bubbles

Hey Bubbles,

I'm just curious, what are the DZ's reasons for requiring an AAD? I've always been a little skeptical about mandatory AADs on licensed jumpers (especially after that young lady went in at Perris a couple of years ago).

Chuck

Well, basically just a quick background: The dropzone here in AK was sold last year to nonskydivers, which left us with nothing in the state since they didn't want to continue the DZ. So this year, the guy who used to run the dropzone before it was bought out decided to get something together. The guy who used to own the dropzone knew a guy who has use to a shared runway. The rules were that if someone who owns part of the runway wants a guest, they can have up to 1 guest at a time using it. This guy gave us his "guest" standing from the hours of 9AM to 6PM, using HIS land as a landing area (nice landing area too).

Well, some of the neighbors got upset about this, and started giving this guy (ex. military) some garbage. Everything was settled with the neighbors except for one who gave him a summons about the use of the runway and unfortunately this guy had to leave for a month so the DZ decided to load at a public airport and land on this guy's property. In order to keep peace up here, try to "make right" with people, and keep people from being mad at us, they went AAD required. Basically, lots of politics up here... Hey, anything to keep us in business is good. The owners are great and friendly, and currently I'm borrowing an AAD for now, but i need to get my own, thus my question on what people like and don't! :-) Especially when it comes to CRW (which exists up here... did some last weekend)!!!!!

CReW Skies,
bubbles