klingeme

Putting together a CReW rig

I'm thinking about (probably will order very soon) putting together a CReW rig and I was wondering what wing loading I need to shoot for so I can order my Lightning. I realize I caould probaly do a search and find this info, but I'm lazy and don't feel like it. I just want to start getting in the formations, rather than flying a Stilletto behind the formations.

Thanks,
Mark Klingelhoefer

This is what a world-class CRW competitor told me:

Typical wingload for most recreational CRW as well as record attempts is around 1.35, rotation canopies are usually loaded higher.

Alphons

P.S. The Lightning comes in many variations. Be sure to pick the right configuration for you...
And five hundred entirely naked women dropped out of the sky on parachutes.
-- The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

There was a link on the crw forum to the W/L chart if I remember right. It's not there anymore. I may have a copy of it somewhere... Just give me some time to find it.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I depends on what kind of CRW you want to do. On non-world record big ways, i.e., CRW boogies, I've seen WL anywhere from 1.3 - 1.5. On World Record camps, they're pretty strict about 1.3-1.38. Competition teams are generally 1.5-1.8. Personally, I prefer Lightnings at higher wingloadings because they land much better.

Try a WL of 1.35. That's a nice middle ground & you can always add lead if you want to fly at higher WLs.

I'm thinking about (probably will order very soon) putting together a CReW rig and I was wondering what wing loading I need to shoot for so I can order my Lightning. I realize I caould probaly do a search and find this info, but I'm lazy and don't feel like it. I just want to start getting in the formations, rather than flying a Stilletto behind the formations.

Thanks,

this may be of interest to you

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/detail_page.cgi?ID=45105&d=1

Note that this container easily accomodates a L126.

be safe
Craig

OK guys, I apperciate the advise. I'm putting together a rig, but just to let everyone know, I work for United Parachute Technologies (Vector) and also get a REALLY GREAT deal directly from PD, so I am not looking to buy used gear. My inbox has been flooded with "I've got the perfect 126 for you" E-mails, and rather than replying to each one individually, I'll say it here, I'm not looking for used gear. I appreciate the offers, but don't need them.

Thanks,
Mark Klingelhoefer

edited to clarify how good of a deal. Really, I don't need a used canopy

directly from PD, so I am not looking to buy used gear.

There are several options when buying a new Lightning. If you want a canopy that would be accepted in one of the world record big-way camps, here are some things you should specify in your order form:

- World record line trim (PD will know how to interpret this)
- all ZP material
- no cotton protection patch on top skin. It's an optional patch for protecting the zp fabric on top skin from burns caused by bridle as it retracts fast over the zp.... it was a good idea but it's way too big and causes too much drag
- no extra reinforcing tape on the nose. It's an optional 2" (I think 2" wide) tape for reinforcing the nose... it causes a good bit of extra drag and really isn't needed... the nose is very strong with standard tape.

Tail pocket is optional... it's not needed to match other canopies or for inclusion in a bigway camp. I recommend getting one though. If you decide you don't like it, you can add a D-bag at any time

Just some things I thought you might want to consider before ordering

Chris