fonz

Digitude suitable for CReW?

[also posted in the gear and rigging forum]

Okay, here's the deal:

1. I'm planning to get into CRW.

2. My current altimeter is a Digitude and I really love it.

However, when I fieldpack or drop my rig in the hangar, I sometimes get a suspension line snagged under my Digitude. I sure wouldn't want that to happen when doing CRW...

So my question is twofold:

a) how big is the snag hazard when using a Digitude with CRW?

b) what can be done to reduce the risk of snagging with this particular altimeter, would a sleeve (if available) help?

Thanks for your thoughts,

Fonz
And five hundred entirely naked women dropped out of the sky on parachutes.
-- The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Many people will have a pocket sewn onto their jumpsuit, usually on the leg, with a clear outer cover.

Sounds like a very viable suggestion. Thanks!

I live about a mile from a rigger who also happens to be a suit manufacturer. I guess I'll pay them a visit and ask if they can put such a pocket on my suit...

Alphons
And five hundred entirely naked women dropped out of the sky on parachutes.
-- The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Make sure that they allow extra room for the alti in the suit. Mine is on the leg (front of thigh) and is a little tight. The suit was fine, but the addition of a flat pocket section reduced the room in that area. It's the best idea, however, from a snag viewpoint. I have an altimeter somewhere out in the desert at Perris due to a bit of a wrap. >:( That's when I changed the location.

Kevin K.

Nothing on your hand except gloves.

as other have said put a pocket on your jump suit. Use spandex like a BOC pouch with a clear window so it streaches and gives with motion and won't tear. Put the pocket on your upper left arm. Generally wraps happen from the mid body and down. also you won't be bending over in bigger ways to see your digitude when you can just look left and there it is.

I have a neptune and I have a pocket built as I described but it is on the leg. It works well except that I sometimes have to look raise my leg and the whole thing about wraps may cover it if it is located there. I am going to make one for my arm.

Pm me for pictures of the current configuration I have if you like.

Gunnery Sergeant of Marines
"I would like it if I were challenged mentally at my job and not feel like I'm mentally challenged." - Co-worker