kkeenan

Chicken Head

As some may know, I have carried a small, tastefully displayed, rubber chicken on my CRW rig for some time. It was a gift from Cheryl Michaels several years ago. This chicken, although it never had a name, has been a good luck charm and constant companion on many CRW jumps. Well, at this year’s U. S. Nationals, in Eloy AZ, a small whirley wrap resulted in the chicken being decapitated. While grisly and traumatic, this accident was overshadowed by Ian’s mishap at the meet, when he rode a flapping wad of canopies to the ground and miraculously survived. The chicken’s accident received much less press, as it should be, since after all, it’s just a rubber chicken.

To me, however, it was my good luck charm, and without its head, seemed much less lively. (It never did run around, as they are said to do, after its head was cut off, since it is bound rather tightly to the main lift web of my harness.) Having been inspired by Ian’s amazing survival of certain death in that wrap, I looked for a solution to the chicken’s problem. Over the years, Jimbo Bolton has kept the CRW community amused by his creative use of Barbie Dolls. Our CRW team, CReWZin’, has traveled around the country with Jimbo’s Anorexic Barbie as a mascot, which, no doubt, led to our historic National Championship in the 8-Way CRW competition. Who better, I thought, to lead the chicken through this life-changing event and to preserve the Mojo so badly needed by every CRWDog to survive this hazardous sport.

I’m pleased to report that the Barbie-Headed Chicken jumped at ZHills at Thanksgiving. I couldn’t be more pleased with the good vibes and good luck that this upgrade brings to the CRW World. The jumps at Thanksgiving were great. There was lots of fun for everyone, and not a single bad wrap or problem all weekend – and considering the crowd that was doing CRW that weekend, we’re talking some powerful good luck. You never know what’s going to happen in this sport, so I have always felt that CRWDogs need all the luck we can get. I hope that the Barbie-Headed Chicken can be around for a long time to provide that extra luck to me and all the CRWDogs I fly with.

Toward the end of the Thanksgiving weekend, there were rumors that the Freeflyers had begun to worship the Barbie-Headed Chicken. At times, I would find several of them gathered around my rig, hopping and flailing around, and speaking in tongues. It may have just been a dirt dive, though. I’m not too familiar with their customs. Anyway, I can’t pass judgment on the spiritual choices of others.

Looking forward to fun and lucky jumps in this coming new year, 2007 – The Year of the 100-Way Canopy Formation World Record.

Kevin Keenan

This gives me an IDEA! There are countless groups in this sport like the MUFF MUFF brothers and the pink mafia. I haven't heard of any for CRW and I propose we create one just for us. Keeping to Kevins chicken theme it should be called the "headless chicken club" and it consists of passing a headless rubber chicken from one jumper to another while under canopy.

CSA #699 Muff #3804

Hahahaa, that's too funny.

I'll bet Kevin tore his own Chicken head off when he went to cutaway.
You've got to VISUALLY locate those handles first Buddy!

Ha! You'd look pretty funny doing a Wiley Coyote with that in your hand instead of a handle. :D:D

But you have to understand, mental illness is like cholesterol. There is the good kind and the bad. Without the good kind- less flavor to life. - Serge A. Storms

This gives me an IDEA! There are countless groups in this sport like the MUFF MUFF brothers and the pink mafia. I haven't heard of any for CRW and I propose we create one just for us. Keeping to Kevins chicken theme it should be called the "headless chicken club" and it consists of passing a headless rubber chicken from one jumper to another while under canopy.

I'm in! But somehow my duck would have to be included. :)

But you have to understand, mental illness is like cholesterol. There is the good kind and the bad. Without the good kind- less flavor to life. - Serge A. Storms

I'm in! But somehow my duck would have to be included. :)

Count me in:)
Rubber Ducky...:D

This gives me an IDEA! There are countless groups in this sport like the MUFF MUFF brothers and the pink mafia. I haven't heard of any for CRW and I propose we create one just for us.

Actually, there are several. There are Them Toadsuckers, who will initiate you either through a CRW jump containing at least one other TS or through the usual method (see the cup in my avatar for the Toadsucker emblem); the CRWDivas, who will initiate you when you are a member of a jump that is _over_ 50% female; and the Chico Wrap numbers, which can be earned by, well, getting in a wrap with Chico.

Oh yeah, and there's the Newbie Suckwads. I'm NS #1 but there are still plenty of low-digit numbers to be handed out.
"You guys should just do CRW. There are so many more ways to get killed, it makes a CYPRES seem safe." -Kevin Keenan

This gives me an IDEA! There are countless groups in this sport like the MUFF MUFF brothers and the pink mafia. I haven't heard of any for CRW.

What is the Toadsuckers if not a Muff like club for Dawgs? Been There, done that, got the T-shirt.

Mark Klingelhoefer

BTW, Kevin and Jimbo, you guys are sickos, but its part of who you are and we accept that.