worldsocold

thinking about buying container for my BASE canopy.question?

i'm thinking about getting a skydiving rig for my BASE canopys and was wondering what i need to consider?

i often see you crew guys free packing. and i really don't know your procedure?

THIS is what i want. D-BAG FREE deployments, probably using fine mest slider. to closely simulate the BASE enviroment.

do you guys use a tailpocket as in BASE.

what is the basic proceure for putting the canopy in asuming a tailpocket is used. i.e. riser, and toggles getting in the way while setting the tail/tailpocket in first.
ALSO WONDERING!: HOW small should i go on my reserve. i really don't want a huge reserve. i figure if i'm making this rig for me why not taylor it forme. so again i have two 266 f111 BASE canopys. what's the smallest i should get my reserve. is a 150 -170 out of the question?!!?

thanks for reading and any help, or constructive criticism, or anything i'm overlooking would be great.

later
NPS SUX ASS

We do use tail pockets as in base. Some of us use rubber bands for line stows some don't. That part will be up to you. A fine mesh slider is good so is a large chicken wire mesh slider or even an X slider. depends on how fast you want it.

I think the going advice on reserve size is don't use a reserve any smaller than the smallest size canopy you have ever jumped. However, with a 266 base canopy your container will be rather big so the reserve will be rather big. Bigger than 170. It ijust next to impossible to have the right size main container without any canopy sticking out and have a dinky reserve.

The method I use is to stow lines in the pocket, then flip the canopy over so the the pocket is in the pack tray nose facing up. Stow the risers, then S fold the canopy into the container. Gather the top skin so it is not sticking out and close the flaps. tha is basically it. there are other things to consider but only if you use the equipment like a kill cone but since you are using a base canopy you don't have to worry about the extras that CRW set ups have.

Hope this helps:)

Gunnery Sergeant of Marines
"I would like it if I were challenged mentally at my job and not feel like I'm mentally challenged." - Co-worker

sorry to ask. but how small could i go for a reserve? i'm thinking of container profile/bulk etc. 200 ish?

oh yeah i almost forgot. this may be out of your realm though. buy worth asking. i'm thinking of having the "corners" cut for wingsuit stuff. do you see any problem. i thinks no because my BASE rig has the corners cut. but just thought i'd ask a crew guy.
and another OH YEAH, do you guys use clamps to control the lines and if you don't how do you control the lines free packing?

sorry about all the questions.

thanks for all the above info by the way!
NPS SUX ASS

No tools needed. Regular over the shoulder propack just like any skydiving main. I sit on the canopy and drag the rig forward as I'm stowing lines. I have ruer bands on the tail pocket.

The corners can be unstitched, no problem, as long as the canopy is covered. Most CRW dogs have gotten away from canopy hanging out everywhere.

every container has a range of canopies that will fit. The first thing to do is find the container that will fit the main you want to put in there and then discover the range of reserve sizes will fit. I think you may fond out that you are going to end up with a 220 or bigger reserve.
My vector 3 has a 220 raven reserve. I packed a 260 ace in it for hop and pop to practice with the canopy before a base jump it and the canopy was hangin out everywhere look like an old school CRW rig.

Are you in Florida? I could help you with this stuff in person if you need it. Pm me

"I would like it if I were challenged mentally at my job and not feel like I'm mentally challenged." - Co-worker

i'm thinking about getting a skydiving rig for my BASE canopys and was wondering what i need to consider?

What are you intending to do with this skydiving rig housing a BASE canopy? The setup you're describing with mesh slider, free-stowed lines, and a BASE canopy would be a painful experience if deployed at terminal velocity. Even sub-terminal deployment out of some types of aircraft would hurt. I suggest if you're putting together a skydiving rig, then throw a few more $$ in and get a skydiving parachute to go with it. You can find some big old F111's in the classifieds for cheap.

Chris W

Anytime I buy I new BASE canopy, I always test it out via a skydive. It is better to find out any problems and get acquainted in this environment. I see your home is Perris and there are some experienced CRW and BASE jumpers at that DZ if you do not have a mentor.

I am guessing this is to work on accuracy and to learn the flying characteristics of your BASE canopy?

I use a Dolphin D-4 for both CRW with a Lightning 176 and test jumping BASE canopies up to 280 sqft.. The reserve is a PD193R. I have to extend the closing loop on the main container for a BlackJack 280 and it's a very tight fit.

A few years ago I bought a used Dolphin D-6 with a PD235R reserve specifically for test jumping BASE canopies. I've used it with the following canopies so far:

BlackJack 280
Rock Dragon 303
BlackJack 310
Flik (Vtec) 322

All those canopies fit reasonable well in a D-6. For a 266 I'd say that a Dolphin D-5 would be the best but D-4 or D-6 could work too.

The construction of the main container on the Dolphin is loose enough that you may not need open corners.

in reply to:
"What are you intending to do with this skydiving rig housing a BASE canopy? The setup you're describing with mesh slider, free-stowed lines, and a BASE
canopy would be a painful experience if deployed at terminal velocity. Even sub-terminal deployment out of some types of aircraft would hurt. I suggest if you're putting together a skydiving rig, then throw a few more $$ in and get a skydiving parachute to go with it. You can find some big old F111's in the classifieds for cheap".

Chris W

no offense dude but a... have you ever done a BASE jump. we do do them at terminal v. you know??? with mesh sliders and 36" and 38" pilot chutes! i know this sounds weird. but it happens everyday in NORWAY, SWITZERLAND. yosemite (half dome, sweet!). you should try it!!! CREW SCARES ME though. no shit! canopies all close like that!!! no way!!!

later man.
NPS SUX ASS

inresponse to:

Anytime I buy I new BASE canopy, I always test it out via a skydive. It is better to find out any problems and get acquainted in this environment. I see your home is Perris and there are some experienced CRW and BASE jumpers at that DZ if you do not have a mentor.

I am guessing this is to work on accuracy and to learn the flying characteristics of your BASE canopy?

exactly!

i don't need a BASE mentor i have APEX as mine. and i'm pushing 70 BASE jumps now so....

but if you saying a CREW mentor that's differen't.

i would like to watch them pack and stuff.

later.
NPS SUX ASS

I use a Dolphin D-4 for both CRW with a Lightning 176 and test jumping BASE canopies up to 280 sqft.. The reserve is a PD193R. I have to extend the closing loop on the main container for a BlackJack 280 and it's a very tight fit.

A few years ago I bought a used Dolphin D-6 with a PD235R reserve specifically for test jumping BASE canopies. I've used it with the following canopies so far:

BlackJack 280
Rock Dragon 303
BlackJack 310
Flik (Vtec) 322

All those canopies fit reasonable well in a D-6. For a 266 I'd say that a Dolphin D-5 would be the best but D-4 or D-6 could work too.

The construction of the main container on the Dolphin is loose enough that you may not need open corners.

thanks this was kinda what i was looking 4. i really appreciate it. you kinda got what i was aiming at.

i would probably still have the corners cut for wingsuit openings. you never can be to careful opening horizontal.

later man.
NPS SUX ASS

we do do them at terminal v. you know??? with mesh sliders and 36" and 38" pilot chutes! i know this sounds weird. but it happens everyday in NORWAY, SWITZERLAND. yosemite (half dome, sweet!). you should try it!!! CREW SCARES ME though. no shit! canopies all close like that!!! no way!!!

later man.

Going by your profile (no jumps listed) I wanted to make sure you're not getting in over your head. Friends of mine have been injured by hard openings, so I encourage using the right gear, packing method, & body position for the intended deployment speed.

Chris W

in reply to:
Going by your profile (no jumps listed) I wanted to make sure you're not getting in over your head. Friends of mine have been injured by hard openings, so I encourage using the right gear, packing method, & body position for the intended deployment speed.

Chris W

nah man it's cool. i understand. the reason i quit putting up numbers is people tend to be all about them. i'm just about having fun and doin' my own thing. but to date i have 600+ skydives almost 200 of them wiingsuit. and pushing 70 BASE jumps.

take it easy. and i do appreciate your concern. i understand where you were/are coming from.

later.
NPS SUX ASS

no offense dude but a... have you ever done a BASE jump. we do do them at terminal v. you know??? with mesh sliders and 36" and 38" pilot chutes! i know this sounds weird. but it happens everyday in NORWAY, SWITZERLAND. yosemite (half dome, sweet!). you should try it!!! CREW SCARES ME though. no shit! canopies all close like that!!! no way!!!

later man.

well until i saw this reply to chris w ( who probably has forgotten more about canopy flight than u currently know ) i was going to offer to help since u seem to be a local and i have some experience in both the CReW and Fixed Object milleu.

good luck, i'm sure you'll do fine. 70 BASE jumps.......................... wow!

be safe

kleggo

hey if you read it. i was not being an "A" hole. i was just saying that what i was trying to do was simulate as close as possible.... blah blah.
i was just pointing out that it's not out of the realm. I was being funny about how CREW scares me. also followed it back up with another re-reply of understanding where he was coming from.
i have not even been doing this 2 years. so i know what i am and what i'm not.
he just stated he said what he said because i didn't put any profile stats down. and i said why (people being all about jump numbers etc.). and then i wrote out my profile stats. and then.....

you took me out of context a little. that's ok. i do this just for fun. i don't take anything too seriously.
and i don't disrespect those who came before.

sorry you took it the wrong way. but if you read everything..... take it easy and later.
NPS SUX ASS

I'm going to reply on the off chance that you're not a troll, though I suspect that is a possibility.

People are "all about jump numbers," as you put it, because these numbers can often (though not always) offer a fairly good approximation of ability and attitude levels. Those with between 100-500 jumps are in a dangerous time when they have just enough experience to think they know it all, but not enough to realize they don't. It is similar in flying. There is a reason that the time between 40-250 flight hours is called "the killing zone." It's why one's second year in school is called the "sophomore" year. It comes from the Greek words for "wise" and "stupid." There's a natural human tendency, more pronounced in males than females, to go through this phase. And I would bet dollars to donuts you're a young male.

I was being funny about how CREW scares me.

So in other words, you expressed abject ignorance about another discipline in the sport, and thought that was amusing.

i have not even been doing this 2 years. so i know what i am and what i'm not.

If you've only been in the sport two years, it makes it that much tougher to truly know what you are and what you're not. As time goes on, you meet more skydivers, hear more stories, and pick up more information, both good and bad, to round out your understanding of this sport. Two years into it, I thought I had a good idea of my limitations too. And actually, I probably did, looking back. What I didn't have was the gut-level knowledge of what I knew in my head. It took several years of jumping and several hundred more jumps for the words of another jumper to fully sink in: "You can do everything right and still die."

i don't take anything too seriously. and i don't disrespect those who came before.

If you don't take anything too seriously, then you are disrespecting those who have died and left behind not only loved ones but also incident reports and the ensuing discusions on dz.com. You are disrespecting those who are alive and trying to help you along your path in this sport. And most importantly, you are disrespecting and endangering anyone with whom you jump.

Look, this sport is FUN, no doubt about it! We skydivers are fun people and we all do this "just for fun." And the reason we get to geek the camera, crank out a gazillion points, fly in inflatable rafts (or on an inflatable doll like I got to! B|), zoom through fjords in wingsuits, watch students' faces light up when they figure something out in midair, shoot accuracy in the dead of winter onto a ski slope, feel the rush of building night formations, and tell all these great stories around a fire is precisely because we are serious about a few things.

I'm a fan of ravens and I like your quote. Here's some related food for thought:

“Does wisdom perhaps appear on the earth as a raven which is inspired by the smell of carrion?”
-Nietzsche
"You guys should just do CRW. There are so many more ways to get killed, it makes a CYPRES seem safe." -Kevin Keenan

inresponse to:

i don't need a BASE mentor i have APEX as mine. and i'm pushing 70 BASE jumps now so....

You're going to get busted up someday with this mentality.

You could be right, but I think he means that he doesn't another mentor because he already has Apex as one.

hey look,

no matter what i say or how i say it. even alittle sarcastic statement. i'm going to get slammed. i didn't write anything to hurt or belittle anybody. i don't know it all and when i jump/fly/fall or whatever i always make sure to think and watch for others.

these forums are kinda funny in that people tend to read into something you wrote the wrong way. or take it way to personal or whatever. i didn't come on here to upset anybody. i just needed some help and was taken a ltttle off coarse by my sarcasm. (dude have you ever even....blah blah blach) and following up with CREW scares me. hey it really does! i really don't like being under canopy that close! that's not disrespect that's giving a compliment to someone who's not affraid of being that close under canopy. i know people who do CREW. and hear about getting wrapped up!

and the not taking "it' too seriously thing. i just mean in the sense of: besides safety of others. i just don't get to wrapped up in the politics of everything having to be this way or that way. it's just not fun. i only want to have fun like i think we all do.

so could we please put this to rest. i was sarcastic. not being mean.

later
NPS SUX ASS

inresponse to:

You're going to get busted up someday with this mentality.

hey i just meant that i all ready had a mentor in APEX BASE. i took my first jump course with them. i think the other person was concerned that i didn't have any BASE experience. so i was just saying i've had some and a mentor.

i really don't want to get busted up. though some say it's only a matter of time in BASE. i'm sure there's something to that. i've only been hurt once. very recently. (my ankle--jumping in strong wind) i made a mistake. and now i want to correct it by skyiving my BASE equipment more (canopy work) and work on some other stuff. and of course make better decisions than some of recent ones. like jumping in strong wind. and not making it to the already tiny landing area and landing somewhere i didn't want to (and messing up my ankle) . or doing solos in areas without phone reception. etc.

later
NPS SUX ASS

If you want a container for a big main and a small reserve check Atom Axis from Parachutes de France which is designed for classic style. I guess you can even throw a 280 main and a 120ish reserve in it. It has such an aerodynamic shape even with a huge main. Get the open corners done by your rigger and at the end you may end up with a big nice skydiving rig to fly wingsuits plus using your base canopy! And if you go for some CRW after the flight it would make a really awesome jump.B|
Take care.