RkyMtnHigh

Memory Lane...

Think back as to when you began CRW...what made you explore into CRW? What was the attraction to CRW? Did you know right away you would like it or did you go thru a learning curve from hell to get to where you are now? Please share your story. It'll be great for us newbies:)
Thanks!

I got into skydiving from the aviation side of things (as opposed to the thrill seeking) and knew I wanted to do CRW the first time I saw a picture of it (I had 30 jumps at the time). Fortunately for me, I was jumping at Kapowsin which, at the time, was a hot-bed of CRW activity. There were pick-up 16-ways on many weekends ... now that DZ is history.

My learning curve was practically vertical because my teachers were a 4-way team getting ready for nationals. I lurked on their practice dives with my Trathlon 160 watching in fascination until one of them top-docked me after break-down. After a dozen or so jumps like that, I ordered a new Lightning and got one-on-one coaching from a guy who'd been cut from the 4-way.

It's been fun. So far, over 1000 CRW jumps, 9 cutaways, countless entanglements and wraps, 7 canopies, dozens of boogies, 3 nationals and a world meet, a half dozen world records (the night 25-way was the best), and loads of wonderful memories. Friends in the CRWdog community literally all over the world who are the greatest.

I haven't been as active as I'd like in the past couple years (career change) and missed that last world record (major bummer), but I'm working on changing that. I still get the same rush every time I exit and pitch the pilot chute. My last freefall was a cutaway ;)

'skies,

Bob

My first CRW jump was with my little brother (he had just come back from the world meet in Finland) my full safety breifing consisted of "fly a straight line. Oh, and don't die!" I wore him out, but, he did dock me.
The next time we did CRW, he brought down a couple Express'. I asked him about landing 'em and he said "don't try to stand it up".
He then hooked me up with Ken Oka (a former team mate of his) and I have haven't looked back since.
Is it the people, or the "taboo" of touching other peoples canopies? I think it's both. I have never met better people than CRW Dawgs, and I can't think of anything that feels better than soft nylon.
CRW Skies
Frank
CRW Diva #58

I have never met better people than CRW Dawgs,

You're biased!!!! I hear Nelson Mandela was OK. Still, its hard to compete with us CRW heads.

and I can't think of anything that feels better than soft nylon.

What about sensuous satin in the evenings. Shame they can't make canopies out of it??? That would make a wrap SSSSSOOOOOO enticing (in a mixed team of course)!!! :P
Stay Safe - Have Fun - Good Luck

The above could be crap, thought provoking, useful, or . . But not personal. You decide.

I made my first one in '96 with a squadron buddy. It was jump #84. The earth was covered in snow and it was freezing cold. We used the team radio's and he was going to let me see `some' moves. So he docked me in a stack, planed to a bi-plane, pulled me down for a side-by-side, turned it into a downplane and separated. Then he talked me though a dock as well and we did the same routine again. For desert we landed out, since that was a prerequisite ass well. I haven't written it down in my log, but remember it like yesterday.

Then I did as you are doing, hungry for information, polling the newsgroups, browsing the www, trying to figure out what a tailpocket is, and how to freepack, and what size Lightning would fit my container, and what wingload to fly and, and, and!

And last week I taught at a newbe camp, and got to share the excitement of my student when she flew her first 3-stack on a sunset jump-in BBQ.

Good to see your enthusiasm!

Lovin' it, hope to see you in the 100-way next year ;-)

--
Everything you know is wrong. But some of it is a useful first approximation.

I have never met better people than CRW Dawgs, and I can't think of anything that feels better than soft nylon.

So what could possibly be better than a wonderful CRWDog wrapped in soft nylon. MMMMMM. It's a very arousing thought...:P

For me it was lack of clear goals in skydiving.

I was in my second year of skydiving and passed quite a few milestones. I did over a hundred jumps in my first year (hard to do in sunny, but wintry Alberta, but then I had Eloy as a snowbird plan) and then was part of a junior 4-way FS team. I was instructing, partying and all was well. I had taken an introductory course in CRW at my home dz (Eden North). Then I realized that I had accomplished all of the goals that I had laid out when I started to jump. And there didn't seem to be anything left.

I'm very goal oriented, so I spoke to one of the instructors about it and felt that while the idea of being able to jump and do whatever I wanted in the sky was appealing, it just wasn't enough. These were his words in reply, as best as I can recall:

"Skydiving is the hardest sport to remain in."

We discussed why people stay and why people go. Part of it was money, part of it was dedication. In the end it seemed that short and long term goals had a lot to do with it. For me, the short-term goals had been achieved, although I didn't really know it then. But I didn't have any long term ones to make me want to continue.

Since the resident CRW team (Plaid Jackets) was comprised of the owner and some of the senior staff, including the instructor I was speaking to, it was suggested that I try my hand at it. I had reservations, but it seemed like this could be something different. Everyone else was doing 4-way and free-flying in its current definition was in infancy.

That got me going. Even though I had the ambition and the (very) basic skills, it was tough! I couldn't lay on a dock, and some of the concepts just didn't sink in. I'm pretty good at most sports, have excelled in many, so when I couldn't figure this one out, so it hooked me. I spent a lot of time learning the basics and trying to understand the reasoning for certain moves. I memorized blocks and randoms, played out each move in my head during work hours and at home. Instead of counting sheep, I counted rotations. Next thing I knew, I thought of little else, and my non-skydiving friends and family were sick of it.

I also almost took out the entire team on several jumps, docking fourth on a stairstep with no real understanding of how to do it (wheee!!!). This is not to say that my future team didn't drill it into my head. In fact there were times they almost drilled me in the head. I thought I knew what I was supposed to do. It just didn't happen that way. There was the time we left competition style out of a Skyvan and by witnesses' accounts my deployment almost stalled the thing, with everyone running to the rear of the A/C to have a look (another story for another time). There was the time I impacted at Eloy and had the only ambulance ride of the Christmas boogie that year. Etc. etc.

At the time I felt like I sacrificed a lot to do this thing and get good at it. In the end we got a third at the WPC and it never felt like I gave up anything. In fact I gained so much more. Thanks to Lyal. Thanks to Aidan. Thanks to Eden North. That's why I started and that's why every single time I watch a video of CRW or talk about it with someone I take a trip down memory lane.

Kevin

But you have to understand, mental illness is like cholesterol. There is the good kind and the bad. Without the good kind- less flavor to life. - Serge A. Storms