remko

Hourglass

[I assume this is a formation of two diamonds on top of each other where the point of the upper diamond is also the pilot of the lower diamond]

Has anyone flown anything like this? How big? Asymmetric? Pictures?

Would like to hear more info, war stories, etc...

--
Everything you know is wrong. But some of it is a useful first approximation.

Sounds like a formation i have heard called a double diamond.

Seems they had a go at this at the spectakel last year, i heard this from maria russel who was one of the lower wings, she ended up cutting away, but not sure if she took anybody with her.

plastic

We have called it an hour glass. The number 4 slot in a 4 way diamond has a row of wings locked up by the 7th jumper forming two 4 way diamonds stacked. The pilot on the bottom four way is the same lock up for row two wings.

It pumps a little if trim on the bottom wings isn't held right. Breathing can also start if number 7 docks too hard and is heavy.

Gunnery Sergeant of Marines
"I would like it if I were challenged mentally at my job and not feel like I'm mentally challenged." - Co-worker

[.I assume this is a formation of two diamonds on top of each other where the point of the upper diamond is also the pilot of the lower diamond]

Has anyone flown anything like this? How big? Asymmetric? Pictures?

Would like to hear more info, war stories, etc...

You mean this one (picture 9)? the attempt was made at the CF Spektakel @ Teuge last year
the second picture (8) showed the rest of the jump..... two reserves as I can remember. I should have a copy of the movie also, will search for it so i can share ;)
Caren

That would be the old us seq team i suppose, did they know they had built it upside down?

I had a calender which had a picture of this but without the top middle canopy, some serious top docking skills required, i am impressed.

plastic

That would be my team mate maria russel on what is left of the yellow canopy.

oh yes that was Maria :-) with a intimate encounter with Gerben
We were flying way-off the DZ, sone of us landed in the middel of the town, and maria's canopy disappeared.
Let's say: it was one of those days B|
Caren

Let's say: it was one of those days

Those days are never fun until the next day when you can look back and laugh. I'm still a pup and have yet to be at a camp where there was a cutaway but have seen a couple shoes lost from some very funny wraps.

We only had 7 of us at the Puerto Rican Boogie this year but we did a couple hour glasses without a #8 locking up the bottom diamond. there was a couple hard docks on bottom that caused a pengelum and it to brake apart. So we turned it into a kite with 3 stingers.

Safe Docks,
Scott

CSA #699 Muff #3804

I believe that was also marias first jump after having her reserve repacked having just got a new free bag after loosing hers in empuriabrava the previous year where her canopy also spent 2 days floating in the sea until a spanish fisherman found it and brought it to the dz.

Every trip is an adventure for maria!

plastic

That is not only with Maria. Every trip where englisch are involved is an adventure.

B|

I can remember an englischman who's live moto was: Don't cut away whitout me
If people from Poland are called Poles, why aren't people from Holland called Holes???
My logbook

[reply..... two reserves as I can remember. ;)

Isn't the Double Diamond one of the formations built last month by Kirk VanZant's group in Sabastian and featured in photos in this month's Skydiving ?

It appears that Europeans should not attempt formations of this difficulty, as this poses a clear danger to themselves and many spectators and farm animals on the ground below. :P

Kevin K.

[reply..... two reserves as I can remember. ;)

Isn't the Double Diamond one of the formations built last month by Kirk VanZant's group in Sabastian and featured in photos in this month's Skydiving ?

It appears that Europeans should not attempt formations of this difficulty, as this poses a clear danger to themselves and many spectators and farm animals on the ground below. :P

Kevin K.

Yes we did build an hour glass/ double diamond with Kirk.

Gunnery Sergeant of Marines
"I would like it if I were challenged mentally at my job and not feel like I'm mentally challenged." - Co-worker