jettero

Cypress

I'm buying my first rig. It's a Spectre 190 with 35 jumps in it. The container is a talon 2 and I forget what kind of reserve. Very exciting though.

How often does a reserve have to be repacked? How much does that generally cost?

My real question involves the AAD. I can't afford a cypress at first. I'm thinking about jumping without one until I can afford a new one. Rumor has it, even if you use one of those calculators online, you get screwed buying a cypress used.

Just this year, one of my jumpmasters was rescued by an AAD. Well, go ahead and clue this newbie in about AADs?

Under no circumstances I'd go without an AAD. Better go for a used one before juming completely without.

Just my 2 cents.

BlueS,
Mark
»Somewhere between the lies and truths borderlines get shady.
Somewhere between the yesses and nos you can find the maybe.«

Every one has an opinion on AAD's. Read theirs and decide for your self.

Statistically your more likely to go low and lose altitude awareness and have it fire then you are to be knocked out and unable to pull.

Used Cypres are some times a good deal.http://www.cypresusa.com/usedcypres.asp Check that out for fair pricing of used units. There are some people looking to upgrade from a Cypres to a new Cypres2 so they are selling them a little cheaper to pay off their nnew AAD.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Well I jumped without one for a number of years. That been said how much do you think your life is worth? I try to look at my cypress as $1200 that I hope I never have to cash in on.

Accidents happen in freefall. Hopefully they'll never happen to you, but should one occur....well...would you like to risk it?

If you can scrape the cash together, there really is no reason not to get one in my opinion.

Blue skies, be safe.
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

Very few people would not jump without an AAD. Its very common for people to start off without them, wich is a shame given their use to newbies.

Get one if you can... if you cant, dont ground yourself, just be careful, eg some DZs in this country say no FF without an AAD cos of the increased risk.

My personal opinion is that, I'm not afraid to jump without one. I trust myself to pull the appropriate handles.

However, there are always other things that can happen, get knocked out etc. That said I don't see a good reason not to have one. Its one extra saftey device that can help you stay alive.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

I've done 100 jumps without one, never bothered me and I didnt consider myself to be any more "in danger" without one.

That said, I just bought one with 4 years left on it for $200. I'm buying my mate one tonight for $70 that has 1 year left on it.

They are about.... and some are cheep.

$70? At that price I could afford to buy one every year.

Don't they have to take the reserve out to put it in? That doesn't appear to matter though, since I'll need a repack before I can jump it anyway. ;)

On those 1 year left ones... how can you be sure it was sent back for maintenence? How much does it cost to send it back?

My 13th jump was without an AAD (Not allowed according to the USPA but no one really cared).

I did around 600 without one, and only got one due to a killer deal that a buddy of mine got me.

You are much more likey to have it save you becasue you screw up and go low than being knocked out...You can check the CYPRES website for more info on the "saves".

I have one incase I do something stupid that should have killed me. However I will jump without one, and I personally feel that if you think you NEED one...You should look into another sport.

That being said if you can get one, I would recomend it.

However, if it saves your life maybe you should get into another sport.

They cost around 1200 new, and last 12 years (1,200.00) . They batteries every 2 years or 500 jumps Batteries cost around 100.00..(6 X 100= 600.00). And they need a 4 year check every 4 years. Around 200.00. (3 X 200 = 600.00)

So:
Unit: 1,200
Batteries : 600.00
4 year checks: 600.00
=2,400.00

2,400/12= 200.00 a year.

Cheap insurance against stupidity if ya ask me.

Ron
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

A general consensus ( which I'm am with ) is if you can afford one, get it. Maybe it'll help one day ???

However, Not jumping because you perceive too much risk not having one is 'Not Good' - kinda says you have a dependency built in on a cypress saving you.

I have one in both my rigs but I've borrowed friends' rigs and jumped them without a cypress and apart from ticking a little checkpad in my head, I go jump it.

Mind you my first non AAD jump was number 23, plus a further 350 or so mostly without an ADD

No, Not without incident

Rumor has it, even if you use one of those calculators online, you get screwed buying a cypress used.

I am not an expert on ANYTHING, much less AAD's, but I must disagree. I got a WONDERFUL deal on a Cypress with 5 years left on it, (less than $300) and from other new jumpers I've seen this was not an unheard of deal. Just pay attention to when the 4 year is and when the batteries are due and work that into your calculations... TOTALLY worth it!

B|

M

The last mosquito that bit me had to book into the Betty Ford Clinic. -Patsy

A Cypres will help you in the following situations:

-- you are unconscious or otherwise unable to deploy either parachute

-- you lose track of altitude in freefall and fail to get a main out above 700 feet

-- you have a malfunction of some kind and are unable to access your handles -- this happened to a friend of mine who had a pilot chute in tow wearing a baggy sweatshirt. He'd be dead if he hadn't had a Cypres

If you're sure none of these things will ever happen to you, the don't sweat it, you don't need one. However, I'm sure those who went in without a Cypres in these situations thought they would never need one either.

A Cypres will help you in the following situations:

-- you are unconscious or otherwise unable to deploy either parachute

-- you lose track of altitude in freefall and fail to get a main out above 700 feet

-- you have a malfunction of some kind and are unable to access your handles -- this happened to a friend
of mine who had a pilot chute in tow wearing a baggy sweatshirt. He'd be dead if he hadn't had a Cypres

If you're sure none of these things will ever happen to you, the don't sweat it, you don't need one.
However, I'm sure those who went in without a Cypres in these situations thought they would never need
one either.

Yep, but be honest....Which do you think is most likley to happen?
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I1m sorry. If I am right there`s no new cypress in the market just cypress2. They had some improvments
like 4 years battery cycle. So that way its even cheaper.

I don't have the cost of the Cypress 2 worked out yet.

But it costs a bit more, but the maintenance is a bit less.

Ron

That unlikely scenario style is why I have one. I really hope that I'll never need it, but I figure I'm worth more
than $1200 (call me egotistic ).

I am sure that atleast your Mom thinks you are worth it....

And this is a good example of a good use.

However.....How many times have you been told not to jump up on an exit with a low wing A/C at high speed?

So it was very preventable.

And most CYPRES "Saves" are people just flat out fucking up and going low.

There are a handful of real saves....This story is one of them.

But it was preventable starting with the exit.

Don't you agree?

I am sure that atleast your Mom thinks you are worth it....

Oh I wouldn't go that far :P.

Don't get me wrong - I believe most are preventable. I also know that I'm going to screw up sometime (call it human nature) - I'd rather protect myself as much as I can against my own stupidity :)
I did also have one close call where a jumper (experienced) went low on a vrw dive, tried to come up, screwed up and corked right into me - no damage done, but damn if that wasn't close (taught me a lesson on watching those around me more carefully too).

Blue skies
ian

And most CYPRES "Saves" are people just flat out fucking up and going low.

There are a handful of real saves....This story is one of them.

But it was preventable starting with the exit.

Don't you agree?

Sure, I'd agree with that. And though I can't understande how somebody can get all the way to 700 feet with nothing open while conscious and functioning, I sure want one in my rig if I'd fucked up that badly.

People make mistakes, and Cypresses help keep them from getting dead when they do.

oh, and people make stupid msitakes doing stuff they've been told a million times not to do. But their Cypresses still fire and might keep them from dying. it's a pretty compelling reason to have one if you can part with the cash.

Sure, I'd agree with that. And though I can't understande how somebody can get all the way to 700 feet
with nothing open while conscious and functioning, I sure want one in my rig if I'd fucked up that badly.

People make mistakes, and Cypresses help keep them from getting dead when they do.

oh, and people make stupid msitakes doing stuff they've been told a million times not to do. But their
Cypresses still fire and might keep them from dying. it's a pretty compelling reason to have one if you can
part with the cash.

Yep, but notice that 4 people said they would not jump without one...I personally think that show dependence on this device....And they might need to think about this sport a little more.

I also know of at least one person that has had TWO CYPRES fires.....This person was not knocked out, just falt out screwed up twice...This person should take up golf.

But when she was asked about this recuring problem she got pissy and said "I know what I am doing...I am safe thats why I bought a CYPRES".

Wrong way to think about it...

A CYPRES is a great device, but if you rely on it for a second....You are not cutout for this sport. Skydiving is not for everyone...and it should not be for everyone.

Yep, but notice that 4 people said they would not jump without one

I don't see one post here where anyone says they won't jump without one. I do see numerous posts saying they'd prefer to have one. I can only assume that you read the poll incorrectly?

A CYPRES is a great device, but if you rely on it for a second....You are not cutout for this sport. Skydiving is not for everyone...and it should not be for everyone.

I 100% agree. No-one should rely on any device working. I still don't think that makes a good argument not to get one though.

Blue skies
Ian