lauras

beginner exercises

i received some coaching from kaz sheekey last weekend and she has me working risers like never before in all sorts of weird combinations. the usual suspects at zhills are rounding up the cf newbies in a couple of weeks, but in the meantime, i'd like to add to my list of drill dives. any suggestions for solo beginner exercises?

one thing's for sure, i have noodle arms. i need to lift. i'm also embarrassed that i've spent all of my time working on the freefall stuff and not paying enough attention to canopy flight, other than flying a safe pattern, avoiding yahoos and having a decent landing. i hang my head in shame. :( but i now see the light! ;)

As to physical exercises, there are some good ones for arm strength in the range that will help with CRW. At a gym, find the machine that has the pull-down bar with pulleys and weghts attached. Usually, these have a snap link to attach different bars. Replace the bar with a strap or piece of webbing, that you can grab like a riser. It doesn't have to be a duplicate of a riser, just some kind of strap to hang on to. Then, kneel down on the floor so that the angle approximates where your riser is on one side. Pull the strap down to your chest and slowly let it back up. Start with low weight and about 20 reps, alternating arms. Once you get up to a zillion reps with huge weight, you'll be ready to do CRW with those ZHills guys.

Kevin
======================
Seasons don't fear the Reaper,
nor do the Wind, the Sun, or the Rain...

Not just strength in the arms for crw but a good strong grip, i used to use one of those squeezy ball type things that climbers use to build up the grip, can't remember the proper name but it is no good having rambo type upper arms if you cannot grip the risers any more.

Also good for keeping hold of your money when other crw jumpers keep trying to make you buy beer when you do "first's"

plastic

Ha! I haven't even started jumping with the crw dogs and they're already trying to man-handle me straight to the bar.

Thanks for the tips, guys. Between the noodle arms and munchkin hands, I have my work cut out for me. Pull down, pull down, pull down, squeeze, squeeze, squeeze. :)

I have a few thoughts on this:

One is to check out all the likely injuries and then work your way back - develope an exercise regime that will prevent/minimise them. See injuries thread.

The other is the obvious strength and endurance - your arms need to have a simliar fitness regime to a sports climber or aerial gymnast (check out their training regimes - you'll find heaps os tuff on the net).
Stay Safe - Have Fun - Good Luck

The above could be crap, thought provoking, useful, or . . But not personal. You decide.

I've got about 12 CRW jumps in and never really thought about this.

I'm more of a rock climber and have been plagued with shoulder injuries. The riser movement has some of the similar movement in climbing (downward pull), but climbing rips your shoulders apart more...especially steep routes and bouldering.

But I can definitly see injuries coming somewhat. I would do lat pulldowns/pullups for strenght/endurance (I've sat on front risers for 3 minutes...not fun).

As to injury prevention, check out the following http://www.climbinginjuries.com/Shoulder.htm

Not just strength in the arms for crw but a good strong grip, i used to use one of those squeezy ball type things that climbers use to build up the grip, can't remember the proper name but it is no good having rambo type upper arms if you cannot grip the risers any more.

Also good for keeping hold of your money when other crw jumpers keep trying to make you buy beer when you do "first's"

plastic

I agree, I have had ruptured tendon sheeths (tendonitis) in both forearms from an intense day of CRW. Mainly the connective tissue associated with the thuimb and fore-finger. Not both arms at once. The grip, if not exercised, willl hurt you.

Gunnery Sergeant of Marines
"I would like it if I were challenged mentally at my job and not feel like I'm mentally challenged." - Co-worker

What was the Doc's advice re the tendonitis?
How long did it take to heal?
(I have a similar problem with one forearm)

from what I remember, it took about 3 weeks to heal. I wore a wrist brace to immobilize and was prescribed 800 mils of motrin. I don't remember how many I actually took, but I had to take one twice a day til the prescription ran out. It didn't last the whole three weeks.

"I would like it if I were challenged mentally at my job and not feel like I'm mentally challenged." - Co-worker

Right,
Anti-inflammatory like Motrin or Ibuprofen,
Ice and Ice massage is good,
Didn't know about the brace, I always use athletic tape (cloth tendons)
But it's best to stop doing what aggravates or it may never heal.
Healing time can be anywhere from 3 or 4 days to never.
No alcohol,

I made that one up.

...But it's best to stop doing what aggravates or it may never heal.
Healing time can be anywhere from 3 or 4 days to never.
No alcohol,

I made that one up.

rust me it's painfull enough, at least it was for me you will want to stop doing anything that makes use of the hand.

It takes longer that 3 to 4 days too. It was a week before I went to the emergency room. It hurt bad enough that I thought I had a hair line fracture sort of like a boxers break. But I wasn't sure soI let it go for a week then went to be seen. Then it took another 3 weeks to heal well enough to use my hand again.

maybe I had a really bad case. The second time it only took a couple of days to heal because I could tell much earlier what was happening and I stoped using the hand and then started treated it much sooner.