Calle

2-way sequential canopy?

You meen team BC, and no they had to quit after the landing accident. One of them will however coach us next year, wich is great.
They were jumping Diamant 160, wich I think is to big and slow for doing 2-way... We are currently choosing between Triathlon 120 and 99. We would then be loading the 99 with 1.8. Do you think the 99 would be too small to handle? (regarding tension in formation).

What happened to the canadian team? last time i saw them was spain 2001.

Then they were jumping lightning 126's if they are jumping triathlons now what happened to the lightnings?

does lyle still do crw?

plastic

Nope - in Spain they were on Triathalons. They just much prefer the openings and landings over the Lightnings.

The team took a short break after Gavin passed away (non-skydiving) but are now back at it. Lyal and Aidan are both still on it, and a couple new guys that are coming along nicely. They will be at the WC in AZ this October and the World Games next year in Russia.

I've been doing video for them when they train, but John Smith is still their official camera man.

Canuck

Yes, i remember alan had talked them into buying diamants, which was good because my 8-way team have 3 of the old blue and yellow lightnings (i jump one myself).

Personally for a sequential environment i think a wing loading of about 1.5 would be as high as you need to go until you reach a very high level of skill.

The very high wing loading is used to loose height very quickly, ie rotations and getting from aircraft to formation doing 8-way speed.

This is not as much issue with 2-way as you will be exiting very close together, so not much height to loose there (also 30 second rule, loads for 2 way) and the transitions are only 1 canopy height so not much distance there.

The problem initially on the 2-way transitions would probably be that you loose too much height and go low rather than not loose enough height.

Personally i think a triathlon 120 loaded to about 1.5 should be good enough for you for many jumps.

If you have any specific questions feel free to pm me.

regards
plastic

ok, the triathlons must have bee the same colours as the lightnings they were using in eloy so i assumed that they were still jumping the lightnings.

i did hear about gavin, sad news but nice to hear lyle is back at it again. was hoping to take 8-way team to russia (we trained there this summer) but the fai may drop the event, and even if they dont we are having some political issues with our association in england.

plastic

Yes, they are tricker to land but not that bad. Pick your conditions, come in with some speed, transition from "descent/speed build up" to planing, and it is OK.

Try "no wind and no added speed" ....

Sorry Gadget, still don't like landing 'em ;) Maybe if they made one my size, and I learn to swoop a bit :D

ciel bleu,
Saskia

On a related note, what canopy do you (as a videographer) use when you film a sequential or rotation 4-way team? Or 2-way, for that matter?

Rob Price
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

From what I've heard (I only filmed rots), if you have a fast team then filming CF2 is going to be just about impossible because of the different angles. Now you have to be HERE and a second later you have to be on the OTHER side of the formation. Staying still in the middle isn't going to cut it.

Anyone actually been filming a fast team in a competition? How do you do it? Any busts? Or is it not so big a deal?

ciel bleu,
Saskia

On a related note, what canopy do you (as a videographer) use when you film a sequential or rotation 4-way team? Or 2-way, for that matter?

I've just been using my Stiletto 107. It's by no means ideal, but I make it work. I generally find if they're doing 4 way sequential, I'm on them about the same time the 3rd is in. 2-way is trickier, I usually find myself a little low on opening (no suprise considering I'm jumping a bagged Stiletto with a regular slider on it), but usually I'm in a good spot by the time the clock starts ticking. I definately have some nice footage of the bottom skin of my canopy though...

Once I'm in place it's cake. 2-way moves around a bunch, but I find it's pretty easy to follow, especially if you know what the dive looks like (and if you don't, you're not doing a very good job).

If I go to Russia with the team next year for the 2-way event, I will deffinately be jumping a competition Tri, either the same size as they do (135) or preferably a 120 to give me the slight range advantage.

Canuck

This may seem like a stupid question, but 135 at 1.5 wloading would mean a 200lb total load, so they weigh in at about 175-180 plus gear, using weights if they're lighter than that???

Is that about right?
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

From what I've heard (I only filmed rots), if you have a fast team then filming CF2 is going to be just about impossible because of the different angles. Now you have to be HERE and a second later you have to be on the OTHER side of the formation. Staying still in the middle isn't going to cut it.

Anyone actually been filming a fast team in a competition? How do you do it? Any busts? Or is it not so big a deal?

Busts were a topic on the 2005 german nationals in CF2. The judges interpretation of the rules was "you must SEE the upper body above the topskin of the bottom canopy and the feet of the top jumper in the A-lines of the bottom canopy".

Most of the cameramen were to close to the formation and when you could clearly the feet in the A-lines the upper body of the top jumper was out of screen or hidden by the canopy of the bottom jumper.

It seems that the problem was increased when the cameraman used a wide angle lens.

When the first busts were given, some cameramen decided to give a sh*t on nice CF2 video and stayed further behind the formation like in CF4 (gives narrower angle). Others tried to anticipate the formations and popped up/down behind the formation like jojos (same angle).

See some discussion (sorry, german) and a video still with bust on:
http://www.canopy-formation.de/info/24a6bc96b21248b05.htm

I think, the CF2 cameramen should do some training jumps with the team and the team should check their training tapes with CF-judges in advance.

Bye
Stefan