bodypilot90

what is a deployment diaper

Well, I can see why they downsize, but is that standard sizes? Can everybody order those, or just is it just for the sponsored teams? The smallest lightning on Pd`s homepage is still 126...

Definitely the 113's are available to anyone, and I'm pretty sure the 106's are as well though I'm not positive about that.

For years PD wouldn't hardly admit making them - my first 2 113's didn't even have a Lightning logo on them much less the size... I don't know why they've never changed their advertising, but the 113 is definitely readily available. Not sure about the 106.

W

Since everyone is throwing :D around on getting new toys I might as well add to the toast. I got my NEW/ slightly used L160 two days ago. For those who aren't on the emailing list I was the lucky one who bought Paul Bliss canopy.

Since the topic is tail pockets just how important are they. Are they more of an added item for personal preference or is there any sort of a requirement on certain types of loads.

CSA #699 Muff #3804

Since everyone is throwing :D around on getting new toys I might as well add to the toast. I got my NEW/ slightly used L160 two days ago. For those who aren't on the emailing list I was the lucky one who bought Paul Bliss canopy.

Since the topic is tail pockets just how important are they. Are they more of an added item for personal preference or is there any sort of a requirement on certain types of loads.

Personal peference. Even world-class top ranked teams mix them up in the same team... some use tail pockets, some use D-bags. I like them because they make packing faster and in my opinion they make the openings more consistently on-heading.

Chris W.

Isn't that a special nappy you wear in case you get really scared in a wrap (and you poo yourself) and you have to deploy your reserve.

;)
Stay Safe - Have Fun - Good Luck

The above could be crap, thought provoking, useful, or . . But not personal. You decide.

has anyone actually said what a daiper is?

Its a circular peice of fabric, grommet in the middle with the bridle going through it, about a foot radius. Its ignored while packing, but after the canopy is in the tray you pull it down the bridle to the canopy and use it to cover up the canopy in the tray before closing. It helps protect the canopy. It also has a nifty effect of covering up the pilot chute post deplotment keeping it nicely stowed (and of course retracted).

Its a circular peice of fabric, grommet in the middle with the bridle going through it, about a foot radius. Its ignored while packing, but after the canopy is in the tray you pull it down the bridle to the canopy and use it to cover up the canopy in the tray before closing. It helps protect the canopy. It also has a nifty effect of covering up the pilot chute post deplotment keeping it nicely stowed (and of course retracted).

Eh? That sounds like you're talking about a kill-cone not a diaper. A diaper was what used to be attached to canopies like Prodigies - on those it wrapped around the first S-fold and you'd stow your lines in it....
W

I like them because they make packing faster

What is the fastest ypu have seen anyone pack a tailpocket equipped main? I've seen a few people pack tailpockets, and it is always painfully slow.

Are you kididng me? It is WAY faster to pack a tail-pocket than a bag... If for no other reason than it just saves a step of getting it into the deployment bag! And if you're one of the people who only do one locking stow and then everything else is free-stoweds, its super-fast... Then add in that a lot of CRWdogs use pull-outs - which are faster to pack than throwouts...

Heck - I don't pack slow but watching the packing competitions last weekend between Chris and Liz was impressive.. They were seriously smoking...

I seriously wish it were possible to free-pack my freefall mains. Its so much faster to not have to deal with the bag....

W

I like them because they make packing faster

What is the fastest ypu have seen anyone pack a tailpocket equipped main? I've seen a few people pack tailpockets, and it is always painfully slow.

Are you kididng me? It is WAY faster to pack a tail-pocket than a bag...

It was quite an eye-opener seeing our Russian coach Denis (and his team-mate Sergei) regularly packing tail-pocketed Triathlons in 4 minutes, and getting perfect on-heading openings almost all the time.

Of course when we tried their packing method (a variation on nose-down packing) it took us longer than pro-packing, and gave us more off -heading openings, but I guess practice makes perfect! Mind you, they are world champions in rotations and 8-way, so they should know what they are doing...

Martin

As i was in russia with martin, i will second that.

Be clear ther is a difference between a diaper and a tail pocket. A diaper folds around the base of the canopy to hold it closed with the first stow, with a tail pocket, this is used just to stow the lines on the tail of the canopy.

the tail pocket is the preferred method of deployment, especially for competetion jumpers. while off heading openings are not uncommon (usually caused by bad body position, although a sloppy pack job will not help) twists are extremely rare (usually caused by a REALLY bad body position) whereas twist are more common with a bag which can be caused by a bag spinning in the slipstream.

twist are very dangerous on crw exits because until you get the twists out you have no control over the canopy, whereas with an off heading (even a 180) you can quickly get the canopy under control, hopefully before you hit anybody.

yes, i am aware that some members of the us teams have and continue to jump with a bag, but when you have that level of experience you know enough to jump what you like, but competition jumpers who use a bag are very much in the minority.

for those who want to use a bag one thing to watch , when putting the canopy in the bag make sure that the rings on the retract are totally clear of the canopy. i have seen many canopies damaged over the years when material has got trapped between the rings on deployment.

one advantage to using a bag though, if you have a large grommet (recommended, probably a #8 although i am not a rigger) then the bag should slide over the base of the pilot chute and deflate it which removes the necessity for a kill cone. this is more relevant for those who prefer doing large formation.

just to be clear, my choice tail pocket, always.

plastic