skypuppy

Hilarious wrap

A couple of guys and I were doing some three-stack rotations yesterday. Two of us had furys, the other a Pursuit, which was tending to float. I just did my first rotation and the Pursuit started to rotate when everything went to shit real fast.... I was thinking this was going to be a chop when I got spit out real fast, then watched the other two spin around for a few seconds thinking they'd chop before they flew apart and started flying.

The Pursuit was flying straight and level except for the fact the guy had 8 or 9 line twists, but he was in perfect position for a pin so I started to approach (insert theme from Jaws here). As I came in I watched him slowly unwinding under the canopy. He would see me approaching and then spin around away from me, only to see me much closer as he spun around facing me again. It was actually sort of hilarious to see. Finally I had to put on brakes and back off a second to wait for him to unspin the last couple of twists, then sashayed down and redocked.

We rebuilt and continued on, but the look on his face as he was untwisting under the canopy and betting glimpses of my approach was just priceless. Funniest thing I've seen in a long time....

Anyone else have funny stories about wraps?
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

Great story. I can picture it - hanging in there, unable to do a thing, watching you come in for a dock.

I've had a couple of over-keen teammates dock me while my canopy was busy falling out of the stack on top of me.

The best wrap story from my team also involved Pursuits (possibly the worst CRW-specific canopy ever!). Tonto posted the details elsewhere in the forums, but involved one guy eventually falling away from us (body) line-wrapped up in his plus another Pursuit. Not much material actaully holding him up at all. As he wasn't getting out of this in a hurry (luckily the initial incident happened at 7000'), he popped his reserve at about 2000' only contributing to the mess around him. Again, very little material above him.

We were all spiralling down crazily above him, watching him go in. Directly over a suburb - you start wishing for miracles like landing in a large pool, whatever. Not sure that would have helped.

We saw this flash of light as he hit and landed near him.

Here's the scary bit - as we got there, we saw him get up and look around in disbelief!

What happened: he went through the main powerlines feeding the suburb. After his body went through (without touching lines), the material of the canopy collection caught, slowed his fall, shorted, melted as a result and released him, fully horizontal on to the tar below with the angled concrete roadside holding up his head. Not even winded.

Only injury was a badly cut finger from his hookknife.

True story. 4 April 1992, Pretoria Skyding Club, South Africa. Jumper: Chris Flint.

With those Pursuits, we had 6 cutaways in 6 jumps (looking at my logbook). Chris wore a tersh for the next year!

where is the original post - i would like to read the full storey....

do you have a video of it??

how fast do you think he was falling when he went through the power lines? im finding it quite hard to imagine what happened...

:)
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading."

I think the original post is in Trivia.
My copy of the video has been lost, unfortunately. Looked pretty cool - cameraman spiralling madly and this mess falling away from him, getting smaller and smaller until you see a flash on the screen.
Speed? None of that shit above him was flying at all - it was only good for drag. He WAS going in.

hmmmmmmmmm
short version

~ 1984 i was jumping with Wrapture the speed 8 team. We had split into 2 X 4 for rotations and were practicing feverishly.

somehow, even though i was jumping a Pegasus (220 sq ft) and i only weighed 150 lbs, i generated enough velocity that combined with my poor aim i flew all the way through the L/R riser groups of suspension lines from back to front of the canopy.

i ended up hanging from Terry's shoulders, belly to belly with him, with my canopy mostly collapsed and his canopy still flying.

i was a pretty stable mess and we had plenty of time for him to laugh his ass off at me and spread the joy with our 2 team mates who were circling like vultures waitng for me to cutaway.

no way

i just climbed back onto his shoulders and did a
Mr. Bill off of his back.

My canopy reinflated and the vultures returned to rotation fun with disappointed looks on their faces.

he he he

kleggo