skypuppy

4-way rotation

I used to compete years ago at canopy rotation.

When I first started we were using sashays - later on another team we changed to over the top. It was a lot of fun. After our second nationals we quit as a rotation team and I got more into demos and instructing for a bunch of years...

Recently I saw a couple of teams doing rotations at another competition... They weren't too good at rotations (hadn't really practised) but were also using sashays - when I asked them about it they claimed that pretty much all the teams now use sashays instead of going over the top...

So my question is - is this true??? I've been talking to one or two buddies about getting a fun team together for next year doing rotations, maybe going to the nats. Are the teams all doing sashays or are the top teams still going over the top? If it's true, I didn't realize I was so out of touch with today....
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

Coming off the top just high enough to miss the guy below you then nailing those front risers dropping you down into the burble brushing your buddies tails with you nose as you go by hoping you gain enough forward to put you right in your slot is certainly a lot of fun, and I love it.
I think the best rotation teams are turning away JUST far enough to nail the opposite control putting them right where they want to be. That avoids any dirty air and leaves nothing to chance, when it doesn't work they know exactly why.
But this game is still young enough that quite possibly the fastest method has not been thought of yet so have at it, and have fun!
T

Hi Skypuppy

Yep - sashays are back.

Logically, the best method has to have the following characteristics:
- shortest distance (hence time - hence points) from top to bottom. Over the top means you have to go up. And then you have to stop and change direction to go down. This equates to more distance and time.
- maximum consistancy between each person in the team and for each individual (not have one person rotating in 4 secs & the other in 8 - two 6's ae actually better). This helps with rhythm.
- attempt to keep your wing flying as much as possible. Don't shut it down as you lose performance and it is more difficult to be consistant. This is one reason for going out to the side.
- repeatability.
- when doing sashays, get your hand to the inside front riser as fast as you possibly can. If you can pull down on this sucker BEFORE the full affect of the inside toggle comes into force, you will already be heading down to your slot. If you are slow, you tend to suspend in the air for a second.
- targeting is important. Hit with centre cell at all costs.
- smoothness (minimal momentum) helps the next person do a fast rotation as they have an easier target to fly around.
- remember the 8 points of each rotation:
- pilot
- exit
- recover
- approach
- dock
- catch
- brakes
- heading

you have to do each job well as this helps you and your team mates go faster. The speed of your rotation is not the critical thing to look at for most beginner/intermediate teams. Build and maintain disciplined stacks and the rotations then naturally become fast. This is because the rotator has an easier target to fly around and dock onto.
The person doing the fastest rotation is not necessarily the best person to have in the team. Quite often they put too much momentum into the stack, stretch it, make it do the tango, and make the next persons job near impossible. It is good to have discipline (smooth docks & follow the 8 points).

In comp, hang on to anything that comes by you. Get to your toggles very quickly before you become pilot.

p.s. check out the Russians - not the prettiest team to watch but they are fast (obviously, they are World Champs). They brute force it.

Have Fun;)
Stay Safe - Have Fun - Good Luck

The above could be crap, thought provoking, useful, or . . But not personal. You decide.

Speaking of Top Teams and Sashaying (drinking induced sashays don't count ;) ) - its great to hear from you fellas. Missed you in Croatia.

What are SA's plans for future competitions?

Tom
Stay Safe - Have Fun - Good Luck

The above could be crap, thought provoking, useful, or . . But not personal. You decide.

hi andre,
we met in eloy 1998, i was on uk sequential team. is graham field still jumping and the other guy i think his name was johan but yo called him dupi or something like that.
a couple of years later i saw graham on tv doing a stunt flying his canopy into a rope ladder hanging from a baloon, wild guy!
regards
mark weaver

Hi Mark
Great to see some of the oldtimers (?) reading the forum.
Team X: I still have your golf shirt from that time.
Graham still doing his thing: check out www.aerialfx.co.za for the evidence (I'm the one out the Pitts Special).
Duppie retired and moved to Cape Town.
Manny still very active. Runs his skydiving shop "Icarus". Broke himself very badly on a BASE a couple of years back, but recovered beyond expectations.
Let me know what's happened to you guys.
Cheers
Andre

Hi andre,
after eloy two guys left, graham and ez (ez unfortuanetly died last year doing a head down jump, graham is no longer jumping and has two kids) we got two new guys for spain 2001 and then i left immediately afterwards.
The team is still going with the other 4 people (ian, alan, ali and nick) but dont train much as alan now lives in france and has 3 kids.
After spain I had a year not jumping much and then started coaching some new people at my local dz and we now have an 8-way speed team (5 guys and three women), we won our nationals last year and are hoping to go to russia for 2006.
I gather you aren't jumping much now you are out in the desert?
regards
mark