Calvin19

I Want In

I am new to the crw world, but know i want in. I have yet to do any contact, and i need some help finding gear. exit weight is 170lbs.
anybody got a 126?
I looked in the classifieds and all there was was some hoser up north that didn't reply and the other guy is on the other side of the world. I was hopeing you kids checked this sometimes.
250 freefly/rw jumps.
based in longmont Colorado or Brush Colorado.
hope to fly with you soon.

-SPACE-

FYI - you're not supposed to put ads looking for gear here but I decided to leave this one as it can be hard to know where to look and it might be helpful for other people.

The biggest suggestion I would have would be to join the CRWdogs email list (PM me with a real email address if you'd like to join) and send an email to that group. Its a group of a couple hundred CRWdogs and you might have better luck there than here.

If no luck there, you just may have to buy new. CRW has been growing a lot in popularity recently, and used canopies are hard to find.

(If you want a used 113, somewhere in the jungle near Empuriabrava is mine. Feel free to go look! )

W

Even after 4 years, it is possible that a hunter will maybe find a green canopy and turn it in to a drop zone so that a certain crwpup who happens to be going out of town for a crw weekend will turn the salvagable parts over to the crw dog who might have lost a canopy.

Don't give up, Wendy!

Here is a used 113: http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/detail_page.cgi?ID=13981&d=1 but loading it 1.5 would be a bit much for a puppy. Maybe something for you Wendy? The crew gear is so rare that over here in the Netherlands the used stuff is more expensive than new in the States.

Happy hunting, but if I were you Calvin I'd buy a nice crispy new 143. You won't regret it!

Go for it!

Remko

--
Everything you know is wrong. But some of it is a useful first approximation.

now that i have thought about it, a crispy 143 sounds nice, and i can always add weight. of course, i need to come up with a canopy to use in the meantime and 800 american for the deposite. thanks for your help, any needs on colors? (center cell different color? if its not vital, i would prefer it not be.

:)
"I was wondering why the frisbie was getting bigger, then it hit me..."

Calvin

you may want to consider a spectre or triathlon for learning the basics of crw and canopy flight. then later on move on to a more crw specific wing. i imagine there are more spectres and triathlons floating around than lightnings and prodigys. just a thought.

Prodigy's aren't designed for high-wing-loadings. Lightnings land much better than Prodigies...

I definitely prefer having a distinctive center and distinctive end cell. I know when catching people, its a big help to know just to "grab the red" rather than have to try and figure out where the center or end cells are.

I also notice that when I've jumped my one Lightning without a distinctive center cell - a lot more people end up one cell off than on my other canopy...

W

this canopy complex i need to understand. what i have gathered so far...
canopies trimed nose low, this means fast forward speed,and poor flare capabilities because of canopy distortion in brakes.

All lines shorter, turn/dive recovery fast (and predictable?)

I have flown standard triathalon and spectre 135's with no problems, how different is a lightning 143 from these? is the problem with a greenie on a small canopy when relative or on landing?

thanks again:$

-SPACE-

Its not that different. A lot of how hard the Lightning is to land is seriously overblown. It does help to come in on front-risers with a tad bit of extra speed, but that's true on all canopies. The flare is a little bit different but still fine - you can surf Lightnings.

The shorter the lines definitely makes less of a pendulum effect. Its a little more responsive than the others I'd say - but PD typically measures their canopies "bigger" than the rest of the industry so a Tri 150 would probably be more of a similar size to the 143 than the 135.

W

I would strongly advise, needless to say it's just my opinion, to go for a 143 with standard sequential trim. A lot of people are set up that way. See http://www.cfworldrecord.com/canopyinfo.htm. You can always fine tune with an extra french link or weights.

Get slick, that means, no reinforced nose, no flat packing tapes, no cotton top skin, a spider and a tight jump suit. Less drag gives better perfomence. People shouldn't be pulling your canopy so hard that you need those reinforcements and if you're pro-packing you don't need the packing tapes either. You can avoid the cotton if you use a kill-cone tail-pocket combination (pack the rings in the kill-cone, my preference) or a littlebit extra care while packing a D-bag. I prefer a spider over a mesh slider because of the improved view.

Get the colored center cell like wendy said, or at least a colored nose section, and get uncascaded red outer and center A-lines as well (should be standard). Think about light and bright colors that are easy to find in the woods or swamp unless you're planning to do combat survival :-) and write your name, phone number and address on the tag.

Happy shopping!

Remko

--
Everything you know is wrong. But some of it is a useful first approximation.

With an exit weight of 170, I would reccommend a 126 or a 143. At that weight, a 126 would be perfect as the reccommended wing loading for lightning crw is between 1.3 and 1.4 pounds per square foot. However, if you gain weight in the future, or want more versatility in case someone is loading a lot lighter, I would go with the 143. My regular exit weight is 180. I jump a 143 and use ten or fifteen pounds of weight added onto that 180. As long as the friends you are jumping with are within .3 or so on either side of you, you would be fine. I work at Denver Skydivers. I know a few extra canopies that are floating around to use at least. Come on out when the weather gets a little better (CRW in the cold sucks). There are about eight of us or so that are out every weekend that have canopies and that love to do crw. Good luck with the hunting. We are lucky here in Colorado to have many of the wild humans parachute team still living in the state. These guys placed at nationals multiple times. I jump with a few of them and they are amazing. I learn a lot from those guys.

Cheers,
Travis

so that a certain crwpup who happens to be going out of town for a crw weekend

HEY!!! Who are you calling a crwpup? :S I'll have you know that I was voted a CRWDOG by Chris and Mike in Perris in July!

Nina
Nina

Are we called "DAWGs" because we stick our noses up people's butts? (RIP Buzz)
Yep, you're a postwhore-billyvance

With an exit weight of 170, I would reccommend a 126 or a 143. At that weight, a 126 would be perfect as the reccommended wing loading for lightning crw is between 1.3 and 1.4 pounds per square foot.

Calvin, just something to think about;
a 126 might put you at the perfect WL for typical CReW, but remember, a 1.3 - 1.4 WL might not be be the best choice for your current experience level / currency.

Though you will be somewhat limited with regard to the size and complexity of the formations that you'll be able to participate in...as well as you and your coaches maybe having to work a little harder...you can still learn the basics and have a great deal of fun with a slightly larger canopy, and you'll enjoy a slightly greater safety margin with regard to landing.

Consider trying to get your hands on something larger than a 126 for a little while. Working a little harder with the larger canopy will help you to be even more of a kick-ass pilot when you're ready to downsize to the 126.

Just another perspective.

Stay safe,
Mike

If you're gonna' be stupid, well, then you're most likely stupid.

The recommended wing loading for _competition_ or _record-building_ CRW is that high. I would _not_ recommend to a newbie that he load his canopy that high!! Calvin, I'm going to strongly recommend the 143. You can always add weights when you get to the point that you've got a yen for competing or being on big-ways. However, while you're learning the ropes, you can jump a more reasonable wing-loading. Why change so many things at once? New discipline, new type of wing, etc.

Just my $.02. Hope you join us on the Dark Side real soon!
"You guys should just do CRW. There are so many more ways to get killed, it makes a CYPRES seem safe." -Kevin Keenan