crotalus01

minimum jump numbers to try CReW?

hey not too many CRW folks at my DZ but there will be some this weekend for the boogie. should i try some CReW with a really experienced person if i get the chance? i have 30 jumps. and no clue what CReW is like. i have been told that CReW will give me a much better understanding of my canopy and how it flies, but noone has ever told me if there is a recommended minimum jump number to try it. any advice? thanks.

As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD...

Your USPA SIM recommends a class A license as prerequisite to doing CReW. I think this is a good idea, because there are some basics that a student needs to focus on in order to pass the requirements for an A license (such as very basic accuracy)... and I think the student should have those skills before going into CReW.

It looks as though you're right at the # of jumps to be acquiring an A license soon so I think you're probably almost there. ;)

hey not too many CRW folks at my DZ but there will be some this weekend for the boogie. should i try some CReW with a really experienced person if i get the chance? i have 30 jumps. and no clue what CReW is like. i have been told that CReW will give me a much better understanding of my canopy and how it flies, but noone has ever told me if there is a recommended minimum jump number to try it. any advice? thanks.

Talk it over with the really experienced CRWDog (R.E. ?1000-ish CRW jumps). I'm sure USPA has some sort of recommendation about it ...nobody pays much attention.

Michael

I think my first CRW jump was number 26. Started out with a few simple two ways, then worked up from there. CRW is now my discipline of choice. Be careful, and make sure that the person you are with understands that you are a low-timer and that they are very experienced.

I learned from a girl that has over 2000 CRW jumps alone and almost 4000 overall

I think USPA also "recommends" 50 jumps, but like Mike said talk with a CRW Dog about doing a jump. Also keep your eyes open for a beginner's CRW camp, you can learn a lot from the people who teach them. I'd also recommend visiting Wendy's webpage for the reading material. Lots of good stuff. I think it's crw.boxofclue.com.

My first CRW Jumps were at 26 jumps. That said, I wouldn't recommend attempting CRW at such a low experience level unless you are VERY comfortable with your canopy, and you can find VERY experienced partner who you trust and who is willing to commit to lots of training jumps to give you a level of consistancy so that you can focus on your performance.

Of course the Mike Lewis beginner camps are also a great place for someone to start out in CRW as well

Thanks Michael! (and Gino)
What could possibly go wrong?