SKYPEDESTRIAN

Building a CRW-Specific Javelin

I am getting ready to order a Javelin to be set up as a dedicated CRW rig and would appreciate any suggestions that might help me build a better rig.

My Lightning 193 is tight in my current Javelin (J-5), and I am thinking about up-sizing the container to a J-7 or J-8 to get more room in the main compartment to make packing easier. I pack Lightning without bag. Any wisdom on this would be appreciated.

Also, if there are any CRW-friendly features that I might order, I would appreciate advice on those as well.

Thanks in advance.

There was a thread about which container features were necessary for a CRW specific rig.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=334271

I think much of that thread focuses on the safety and design aspects of a rig. I think a new Javelin will probably have all of the necessary safety features.

The larger riser covers mentioned above are an excellent idea. I don't know if you noticed, but Jeff has those on his Javelin, and it makes the rig a lot cleaner looking (and safer).

I wonder if Sunpath can make you larger leg straps (maybe with more padding).. with as much time as we spend under canopy (and the brutal openings we live through), I think wider leg straps will be more comfortable.

I also wonder if anyone here has any experience with the cut-in laterals on the new Javelin Odysseys (on a CRW rig)... It seems that they were designed so that the rig will hug your body in a lof of freefly positions, but I wonder how useful/comfortable they are under canopy.

In '98 we (the Dutch CF team) went the same way. We talked with Derek from Sunpath about it and the Javelin at that time almost had all the options you need for CF.

We just added and changed a few things. We have an attachment for D-rings on the main harness in case we want to use an extra reserve (unfortunately one of the teammembers does). The risercovers are slightly larger but the main issue is the front of the standard covers. They're at 90 degree from the rig. At rotation the canopy snags them easily if you go to the top position. Also not nice for lines. We've them on an angle of 45 degree and never have a hook-up. On my standard Javelins I got it all the time. I can't post a picture now because I'm not at the DZ but if you want I can add one later.

Oh, and we also removed the RSL and most rigs have all the rings.

All in all we're extremely pleased with the CF Javelins. I made over 1500 jumps on mine and it still looks brand new. The new Odyssey might be more comfortable but I'm afraid that the lines can catch behind the container more easily.

If you order just refer Sunpath to the Dutch Team rigs.

Go for it!

Doug, the larger covers are needed to contain all the crap we add to our risers. Larger toggles that spring open, dive loops, front riser blocks and pulley systems really "bulk-up" the risers and make them difficult to stow on any conventional rig. I still see CRWdogs on the plane that have their toggles hanging outside of their rigs because they don't fit inside the covers. Scary shit to me. You catch one of those exposed toggles on something and you're going to be in a world of hurt. Anyway, you need to cover all that stuff, that is the reason for the larger covers.

I can think of a couple of other manufacturers I'd consider firs because of riser covers alone, as well as production time.

Doesn't Sunrise Rigging (Wings) have a really squared away CReW version of their rig? I know their regular rig kicks ass, as well as their production time and most of all, their customer service.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

In '98 we (the Dutch CF team) went the same way. We talked with Derek from Sunpath about it and the Javelin at that time almost had all the options you need for CF.

We just added and changed a few things. We have an attachment for D-rings on the main harness in case we want to use an extra reserve (unfortunately one of the teammembers does). The risercovers are slightly larger but the main issue is the front of the standard covers. They're at 90 degree from the rig. At rotation the canopy snags them easily if you go to the top position. Also not nice for lines. We've them on an angle of 45 degree and never have a hook-up. On my standard Javelins I got it all the time. I can't post a picture now because I'm not at the DZ but if you want I can add one later.

Oh, and we also removed the RSL and most rigs have all the rings.

All in all we're extremely pleased with the CF Javelins. I made over 1500 jumps on mine and it still looks brand new. The new Odyssey might be more comfortable but I'm afraid that the lines can catch behind the container more easily.

If you order just refer Sunpath to the Dutch Team rigs.

Go for it!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Circa 1996, Rigging Innovations installed similar riser covers on some Talons for the "Ghost Riders" CReW team. We also added a plastic stiffener to the leading edge of the riser cover to further reduce the chances of snagging.
Some of those rigs also had pockets in the back pads for extra lead weights.
R.I. probably still has those patterns laying around.