scotts

Packing with unstowed brakes

Since few of us enjoy being slammed on opening, I'm wondering how many people are packing this way?

Are tail pocketers and D baggers doing it?

Kentucky

How much of a difference is there?

Any place that it could be a hindrance to getting to your slot?

Any other pros/cons of this is needed.

Let's hear the good , the bad, and da ugly.

Scott,

I'd gotten used to getting slammed on demo and borrowed Lightning's, but my Lightning, which I've put about 100 jumps on has slammed me maybe 3 times.
My Lightning (with tail pocket) was manufactured mid-2003 and the design had changed somewhat from when my demo'd and borrwed gear was manufactured. I don't know if that's a contributing factor, or maybe I've just been lucky.
I know that this doesn't answer your question, but I thought I'd put it out there.

Stay safe,
Mike

If you're gonna' be stupid, well, then you're most likely stupid.

There's another post (somewhere in this forum) where the poster has several hundred jumps using this packing method without any problems. I think he uses a tail pocket.

Something I do to lessen opening shock on my Lightning is to tightly roll the three outside cells on each side of the canopy anywhere from 3 to 6 times (depending on the jump plane's jump run speed). If I want an even slower opening I'll just rest the center cell between the two rolls without spreading it out. I then tightly roll the tail before free packing the whole thing.

I've been slammed so hard I've literally seen stars, other times just really roughly. This seems to work pretty well, although I'm going to try the brakes unstowed method to see how that works.

P.S. my Lightning was also made mid-2003. I definitely think packing technique/methods are the answer to dealing with Lightning opening shock (that and jump run speeds).

I've been jumping a Triathlon 120 competition setup for 3 years (800+ jumps) without brakes set. With a spider instead of slider (for forward speed, not the opening). No problems.

The Tri definitely opens faster (harder) than the Lightning.

Pros:
Softer (yes) openings
Quicker to fly to the formation

Cons:
The spins are a lot quicker and violent

This is of course for competition use. Why bother for recreational CReW?

I don't think it gives much advantage on a Lightning. Probably you willhave a harder opening. The only way to find out is to try (we did). If you like it: good, if you don't: you know.

Roel

- - - - - - - - -

We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing!

I've experimented over the years for national and world meets at different packing methods including packing with brakes unstowed and have come to a fairly firm conclusion that I have better control of openings and opening shock by setting my brakes and using a tail pocket or, when I have no other choice the good old D bag with the lines free stowed under the tail and the D Bag locked off with the traditional two stows. Obviously I would not use a D bag if I had the choice but I don't see it as presenting a problem other than slowing the opening down when you really want crisp openings.

I've never had the need to pack with brakes unstowed to be able to get to where I've had to be any faster - unless you stow your toggles outside, they will always be in the same place on your back risers whether you stow the brakes or not. In fact, have found that a big opeing shock has made me slower to get on the ball at times.

Sarge