darkvapor

2 Gear & Rigging Questions (Slinks & Pilot Chutes)

Several Questions

1) Use of Slinks on a Lightning on Type 8 risers, mesh slider with stainless grommets. Okay with this configuration? Any forseeable problems? Do I need bumpers?

2) Where can I get a proper pilot chute for a throwout on a Lightning? I've never seen CRW specific pilot chutes for sale. I am not familiar with the Lightning (been doing crw with Prodigies). However, I would assume that a standard freefall pilot chute would not have the proper bridle length, bridle material, and closing pin attachment point. Also size, material suggestions would be appreciated too. I recall a few tidbits here and there in this forum discussing size and material, but a dedicated discussion might bring more information.

edited: fixed typo

Several
1) Use of Slinks on a Lightning on Type 8 risers, mesh slider with stainless grommets. Okay with this configuration? Any forseeable problems? Do I need bumpers?

2) Where can I get a proper pilot chute for a throwout on a Lightning? I've never seen CRW specific pilot chutes for sale. I am not familiar with the Lightning (been doing crw with Prodigies). However, I would assume that a standard freefall pilot chute would not have the proper bridle length, bridle material, and closing pin attachment point. Also size, material suggestions would be appreciated too. I recall a few tidbits here and there in this forum discussing size and material, but a dedicated discussion might bring more information.

I´ve never seen slinks on a CReW canopy. You want to keep the slider or spider at the links, I suppose it might come down (on it´s own or getting kicked) if you didn´t have bumpers and you don´t want that.

Also sometimes I need to trim my canopy with extra links (in my case I put a second large link on each RR, to get a steeper angle). You can´t do that with slinks, but you probably won´t need to anyway.

A Lightning comes with a bridle I think (a piece of line), just attach a (largish) standard (non-collapsible) pilot chute and pin of your choice (there is a stop on the bridle for a throw-out pin).

See pic, Henny´s attaching a pull-out to a comp Triathlon.

Use the plastic pipe handle for throw-out; a hackey is too heavy.

My own (throw-out) pc is large, and F111, but some people use ZP pilot chutes too. My rigger said, whatever works...

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Just to reiterate the above - the bridle comes with the canopy, and I've always just gone in my rigger's shed and grabbed whatever old pc I saw.

As far as slinks - you definitely need to keep the slider up high - you'll never be able to pull a slider down past all the @&**( on CRW risers :-)
It also will make it harder to change the trim if need be...

W

you'll never be able to pull a slider down past all the @&**( on CRW risers :-)

Yea... I really wasn't planning to. Mostly, I just want them because they are less bulky and require less maintenance (or atleast until they need replacement). Mostly I was worried about wear and tear issues, as well as if the slider would stay up by itself without me worrying about it slipping down. I suppose that has already been addressed (that it will probably slip). I guess I can live with regular links, but just curious since I had an extra set of Slinks lying around.