sunnydee123

NOT THE SAME SINCE CReW

My rig was GIVEN to me (by a wonderful friend) when I started so I could avoid those frigin rental fees....no way in hell I would have racked up the numbers I have now without it. It is a 1995 and other then the pin flap coming out once in a while (NOT very often) it has been good to me so far with my freeflying. I don't have a bridle tuck area but have a good "technique" and ALWAYS make sure that baby is safe and sound and happily tucked away. My rig is also a bit small for me and my leg strap pads coming about half way around but I have not noticed it being really uncomfortable......yet. I was trying to decide if it was worth it to get the harness upgraded to fit me or save that cash and invest in a new rig. Any thoughts? The rig came with a 135 main - but I currently have a 150 in it (since I am newer and in no rush to be speedy.....YET) so I already have my canopy to downsize when and if the time is right. My dilemna - keep this rig and "spruce it up" for a couple hundred bucks or save the cash and dump $1K into a newer rig....

OK...that's it for now. What to do - what to do!

Dreams become reality, one choice at a time...

Well I am about ready for my next freebie...........;)

Bring it on. Ask the local crew types to take you on a TrashPlane and a PinWheel. That'll get your pucker factor up.

If done right, they are safe. But I'd not try it with another novice.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Never heard of a trashplane, but a pinwheel is pretty cool. It's a side-by-side with the jumpers facing the opposite direction. LOTS of tension, but a wild ride.

The way I've done a pinwheel is from a bi-plane the top jumper comes down for a side by side but twists in his (or her:) risers by grabbing the bottom jumper's harness with their outside hand while the bottom jumper helps the top twist in his risers by grabbing the outside of the top's harness. At this point both parachutes are flying the same direction, but the jumpers are side by side facing in opposite directions. Take secure grips, then the jumper with the twisted harness pulls on inside toggle to spin his parachute around (start slow and pull inside toggle until it spins around). Presto, you're spinning like a top!! If both jumpers keep inside toggle pressure the canopies will stay together and the tension will be lessened. Let up and the canopies will spread apart and be very hard to hold.

But like the man said, try it with an experienced dog and enjoy the ride.

You got it on the pinwheel. Also, once the top jumper turns out from the stack, the bottom jumper also does (we always reach across with the free hand and take the opposite toggle - that gives you an idea of the grips needed) - I'm sure that's what you mean by both having to keep pressure in the turn.

Trash plane - simpler - Plane up. Then the bottom person stalls his canopy. I don't know if this is good to do on the newer high performance canopies, but works great with glide path (mavericks and Furies) and cruiselites, etc. (CYA/CMA - check with the manufacturer) Normally you just drop the bottom person so their canopy can recover. However, if the bottom person lets up SLOWLY on the toggles, sometimes you can recover the stalled canopy right back into a good bi-plane.

Don't forget to set your nose!

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Sorry for the really dumb question. But what is CReW? Also, what is RW? Or are they one in the same?

I'm new to the sport, and I hear a lot of people talk about this stuff, but have no clue what it means :) Thanks.

-Kramer

The FAKE KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!!!!!!!!!

ha ha ha to guy above.....silly!

CRW is canopy relative work and if you love your canopy - then I highly suggest trying it at least once. At least experience what the ride feels like. I did and can't stop thinking about it B|

RW is relative work....I'm guessing the best way to describe it is the infamous belly flying.

New to the sport? No question is dumb. Research, research, research.

Have fun and enjoy the ride.....the skydiving bug bit me hard!!!!!

As D said, CRW is Canopy Relative Work. This is the enjoyable practice of connecting parachutes for no other reason then that it's fun. Not to be confused with RW which is the debatably fun practice of playing patty-cake-patty-cake or some other thing looking similar to synchronized swimming minus lipstick or a square-dance minus the shit kicker boots. In order to proceed into the world of CRW you must realize that you will become ugly, fat, and hairy. Thankfully, women are exempt from this. I am a novice in CRW as is evidence by the fact that I am trim and good looking.

Here are some links from my favorites so you can see what it is and what it's about:
http://www.dropzone.com/safety/disciplines/CanopyRelativeWorkCRW.shtml Thanks HH
http://www.dqnt.com/acc.htm Thanks Jon
http://crw.boxofclue.com/skydive/calendar.html Thanks Wendy

CRW is a lot of fun and is the best way to learn about your canopy.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

"Patty Cake?!!" "Sychronized swimming" "Square Dancing"

Please help us from ignorant morons who only learn one style of flying. You can't call yourself a master skydiver until you get good at all the disciplines.

It's a shame we won't be seeing you when you go to bowling alley when you quit from the frustration of not being good enough for RW or good enough when the freeflyers start to plan their dives (many are now - the best do points just like RW) instead of just geeking each other during a trashy head down.

Thanks for having a good sense of humor. I actually do like RW, at least enough to pay mad bucks for a tunnel camp.

PEACE and lots of points,
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Yes it was.......it was kinda like a "taste test" of what you could have if you really got into CRW. After this weekend and seeing what great formations the CRW dogs can do - it made me look at it with even more awe. But I also was scared to death sitting near them in the planes with all this "stuff" sticking out of there rigs :)

I was on all the CRW loads in Richmond, so I'm sure we crossed paths. If you're really interested in learning CRW you should try to get to a beginner camp or find a local CRW dog who'll take you on some training jumps. From the sound of your first post, there's definitely a Dog in there barking to get out.

Dump high,

If you demo a Lightning, don't land it like a regular canopy (it hurts. a lot.). Lightnings are great CRW canopies, but you need to get some speed up or you won't get any flare for landing. Come in on front risers or do a low turn before landing; do anything to get some speed up for a decent flare. I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun at Sebatian.

If you demo a Lightning, don't land it like a regular canopy (it hurts. a lot.). Lightnings are great CRW canopies, but you need to get some speed up or you won't get any flare for landing.

I heard you hold down on the front risers and don't let up till you're scared then flare? I'm a straight in kind of guy when it comes to landing.

If you demo a Lightning, don't land it like a regular canopy (it hurts. a lot.). Lightnings are great CRW canopies, but you need to get some speed up or you won't get any flare for landing.

I heard you hold down on the front risers and don't let up till you're scared then flare? I'm a straight in kind of guy when it comes to landing.

Carving in helps a great deal, but you can nicely land it straight in. I've only got about 30 jumps on a Lightning, and most of them have been straight in with no input until the flare. Start your flare a little higher than usual with a nice stab to about 1/3 - 1/2 brakes, and then a moment later finish the flare with another quick stab.

Carving it in does make for an easier and more graceful landing, but I can consistently land softly on my Lightning straight in. You can, too ;->

Stay safe.

If you're gonna' be stupid, well, then you're most likely stupid.