Genn

CRW Experience Levels

Did my first CRW jump on #39 when our DZ CRW head dawg talked me into jumping with him. I pinned him and just sat there waiting for wraps and entanglements and all the crap that everyone who hasn't done it freaks out about. It didn't happen, and hasn't happened yet. Although, I've only been up to a 5 stack. Now I can't figure out why everyone is so hesitant towards doing it.

As for when someone gets into CRW: Talk to a local Dawg, they're always more than enthusiastic about a new person. They'll tell you a bit about what to expect and just about everyone these days who is taking up CRW has this site (Thanks Wendy):

http://www.eco.utexas.edu/Staff/Faulkner/skydive/crw.html

on their internet favorites. Read through CRW Safety and Training.

Hey Freakous, quit being a lame ASS and put on some winter gloves so we can stack it up. I just got my weekend plans cancelled so I'll be there on Sunday.

PEACE,
Doug
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Kinda an off shoot question, at what skill level did most people teach others CRW? There is only one other CRW jumper at my DZ and I'd like to train some other people but I don't think I'm experienced enough to really teach others.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I've taken people up to do 2-stacks before, but that's as far as I'm going to go with them at my level. I point them towards Wendy's site and tell them to go talk to Catfish in H-town if they want to learn more.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

at what skill level did most people teach others CRW?

That's a hard question to answer. What is safe to one person, is insane to another.

When I first started jumping, me and a girl I graduated with started doing hop and pops from full altitude. We got all bundled up and gave it our best shot. We had no idea what we were doing. Very basic proximity flying. End cell to end cell, ran across the tops of each others canopies, etc. THen we started asking question on how to hook into eachothers lines. Next thing I knew, our DZ had a camp and I was 4th on my first 4 stack and 3rd on a 9-way diamond. That was it...I was hooked!

Anyway, it's all up to the individual. As long as your aware of what can happen and how to deal...I say go for it....but that's just me.

Another very informative website is:

[url]http://www.dqnt.com/acc.htm

I've taken people up to do 2-stacks before, but that's as far as I'm going to go with them at my level. I point them towards Wendy's site and tell them to go talk to Catfish in H-town if they want to learn more.

I hope this doesn't mean you are taking up newbies and teaching them.

I hope this doesn't mean you are taking up newbies and teaching them

Why would I do that? I don't have the experience to take total newbies up and do real CReW.

I have gone up with people who have never done CReW and flown close to them, no docks or anything, but that's not the same thing as doing stacks, etc.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Kinda an off shoot question, at what skill level did most people teach others CRW? There is only one other CRW jumper at my DZ and I'd like to train some other people but I don't think I'm experienced enough to really teach others.

The guys I learned CRW with hadn't done any CRW either. Things went slow for a while, but we weren't dangerous. I was teaching CRW by the time I had a hundred CRW jumps - mainly because if I wanted to learn CRW, I had to teach.

I had more off-airport landings back then than I do now, but it wasn't really more dangerous.

W

We move to south Florida :)

Just one crw jumper for me. It was amazing to watch the experienced dawg work the lines. Reminded me of somebody playing the harp! I don't know why you crazy people do this in the middle of winter.

Just my choice of bullshit!

I started doing CRW in 1976, did mostly CRW until 1990 and nothing but CRW since. I strated sharing my experiences pretty early as I wanted Dogs to jump with. I went up with people when I had 5-10 CRW jumps just kind of worked it out as we went along.

A few thousand CRW jumps later, I remain eager jump with anyone who wants to devote a day to CRW. We'll spend some time on the ground and cover a few things then go up one on one and have some fun. I'm not a teacher, coach, instructor or skygod ...I'm not even that good, but I am willing to share what I know with anyone who wants to smile, have fun.

CRW Skies,

Michael

A few thousand CRW jumps later, I remain eager jump with anyone who wants to devote a day to CRW. We'll spend some time on the ground and cover a few things then go up one on one and have some fun. I'm not a teacher, coach, instructor or skygod ...I'm not even that good, but I am willing to share what I know with anyone who wants to smile, have fun.

I think that sums up the spirit of the CRW community.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

I'm not sure. I went walking around the neighborhood tonight and it looked like every house had one (no hurricanes this year :).

Seriously, if skydiving is your motivation, I recommend central Florida (Orlando is 60-90 minutes from several great DZ's). Not much skydiving in south florida.

I'm seriously considering it. There aren't too many crew dawgs up north, and I'm too poor to travel all over. [:/]

BTW, How is the roofing industry down there in Florida? Money to be made?

on my 2nd attempt at a 2-stack my partner that iwas flying with(just happened to be my dad) ended up wrapped up in my canopy and i had my initial cutaway but other than that i have had a great time doin crw ive prob got 3-5 2-stacks adn quite a few just goin up to altitude and flyin around with a guy flying his 33ft X 60ft american flag(one of the most beautiful flags ive ever seen, specially at sunset)

Let' see, it depends on how you count. I have about 20-30 real crw jumps (touched another canopy) and about a 100 where I was flying relative with others. I also have 2 silver medals (US nationals 2002) in CRW and I don't even have the requirements for a 4 stack award. How is that possible?:P

Josh