Genn

CRW Experience Levels

I did my first CRW jump a few weeks ago and got completely hooked immediately. I only have about 7 or 8 of them... Now I'm like an addict fiending for more. Every weekend I beg the local CRW dawg to do a few jumps with me and trade some sitfly coaching :)
I live in South Africa and borrowed CRW gear is mostly rotational canopies--copy of the Rubus. If I'm serious about CRW and want to buy something, is the Lightning the way to go?

-T

It's the Year of the Dragon.

I live in South Africa and borrowed CRW gear is mostly rotational canopies--copy of the Rubus. If I'm serious about CRW and want to buy something, is the Lightning the way to go?
-T

It is in the United States, but if there aren't any where you live, I'd advise going with a canopy you can jump with people locally. if all the CRWdogs in your country jump the Rubus, that might make it easier to find people to jump with.

In the US, the Lightning is the most popular CRW canopy, and is the canopy of choice for big-ways and world records and such.

W

Welcome to the dark side :)
While the PD Lightning is the big dog on the CRW block, what you need to do is get a canopy that is compatible with the people you will be jumping with.

Now you need to consider wing loading. For last years U.S. (and unofficial world) record the required wing loading (out the door) was 1.31-1.39 lbs/sq.ft.

The required wing loading for this year's World Record will be lighter. The exact figures haven't been announced yet, but will be in the neighborhood of 1.29-1.36. Being on the lower end of that will be better as you can always wear weights.

This will vary depending on who you are jumping with and what you are doing. For example, if you are serious about rotations, you will probably want a MUCH heavier wing loading.

CRW Skies,

Michael
D-6139

I did my first CRW jump a few weeks ago and got completely hooked immediately. I only have about 7 or 8 of them... Now I'm like an addict fiending for more. Every weekend I beg the local CRW dawg to do a few jumps with me and trade some sitfly coaching :)

-T

Thanks for the advice!... wing loading is definitely a concern. My problem is that I weigh about 105 pounds, 107 after multiple cheeseburgers. Without weights I load my Crossfire 109 at only 1.2. How small can a canopy get before it becomes incompatible with others? I've been wearing 9kg of weights to load a 145 just enough that I can slave away on the front risers with good effect.

Thanks--T

Thanks for the advice!... wing loading is definitely a concern. My problem is that I weigh about 105 pounds, 107 after multiple cheeseburgers. Without weights I load my Crossfire 109 at only 1.2. How small can a canopy get before it becomes incompatible with others? I've been wearing 9kg of weights to load a 145 just enough that I can slave away on the front risers with good effect.

Thanks--T

Yeah being small can be difficult. When I started doing CRW, ahem before a few of those cheeseburgers, I weighed about 115. I jump a Lightning 113. I am now ~128 or so and still jump that canopy.

One trick you can use that helps a lot is to put an extra set of connector links in the rear risers. It points the canopy a bit more nose down and saves you wearing some lead as the canopy is "always" in a touch of front risers.

I do hear rumors of a Lightning 106 as well these days.

Size can be a problem on the upper and lower end of canopy size. For example, no canopies larger than the L176 (and not many of them) will be allowed on the next World Record. That, along with the new, lighter wing loading is why I have been on a diet and exercise program for the past 2 1/2 years. I can't even remember what what a cheeseburger tastes like :(

On the smaller end of the scale the 113 and the (probably) soon to be released 106 are a bit of a 'fit' problem but have one tremendous advantage. It is MUCH easier to fly one of these on the wings and is why people flying these hankies are the first choice for row 7 and 8 wings. So if want the glory slots, smaller is the way to go.

As an example, the person assigned the row 8 wing slot on last years record was a CRW newbie on a 113 and he did a great job.

All this advice is for serious or mega large offset or sequential CRW. For smaller, fun stuff, size is not as important as wing loading.

Rusty Vest at PD has been working closely (and participating) with the world record team and I recommend getting his advice. You can reach him at:

[email protected]

Good Luck and CRW Skies!

Michael
D-6139

Thanks--T

You guys are awesome. It's so good to hear some voices of advice out there, especially from a fellow smaller person. Maybe I'll get to come out and play when I finally make it back to the US. Thank you! -T

I have just over 600 dedicatd Crew dives, and about another 350 with Crew on - in the old days of cruislites after RW - just 4 stacks, dragplanes, side-by-sides, 2 stacks, downplanes etc

My 600 crew dives are all 4 way rotation, apart from a few 5 to 12 stacks, some night crew, and maybe 20 bidi dives.

I stopped for 6 years after 1996 - as I found I was just chasing the next missing 10th of a second off a rotation. I was not enjoying - I was doing it cos others thought I was good at it.

I've started again. 2 stacks, 3 stacks, side by sides, downplanes. Got my first newbie after the restart about 30 seconds out the door.

It's fun again. Apart from the landings. They're as Shite as ever...

t
It's the year of the Pig.