DJL

2-1 assists on front risers

Was looking at the "big ways" article on Wendy's site. Can someone tell me a bit more about 2-1 assists on front risers? Do you have to get a whole new set of risers or can you hook 'em up with a little bubblegum and some scotch tape?

I'm deciding whether I should get them when I finally buy a lightning or if I should just do more pullups. Also, any recommendations that this device be left to someone with more than 10 CRW jumps?

thx,
Doug
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Doug,

Hopefully Wendy will be able to answer this since it was on her sight. Anyway, I only found the 2 to 1s useful when flying a wing slot. They weren't much help when you need to dive quickly. For that, a good set of dive blocks worked the best for me. Other than that, I believe your rigger can set up the dive assists on a standard set of risers.

Mark
CCS-1242

Never, ever, ever, try to hook something else up to your canopy without first consulting your local rigger.

Hell, we had a local rigger that installed some dive loops himself and as a result ended up whacking in and laid up in the hospital for months! So, even that advice should be taken with a grain of salt.

So, not only find and talk with a rigger, but make sure he knows what he's doing!
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Don't worry, not trying to attach anything to my canopy, with bubblegum or otherwise. Just looking into options for the fine day when I purchase a dedicated crw canopy. I'm jumping a 185 sf Paraflite Turbo ZX (9 cell) and it's almost a perfect match with the Lighting my instructor/mentor uses.

Can you purchase the whole rig with trim tabs, 2 in 1 assists, bells and whistles, or is it all after-market shamanism? I looked on the PD site briefly and didn't see anything but I'm guessing they have people who can hook it up just how you want it.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Can you purchase the whole rig with trim tabs, 2 in 1 assists, bells and whistles, or is it all after-market shamanism?

Maybe used. Certainly a used Lightning may be sold already on the risers, with bells and whistles. Most crewdog's containers are dedicated, so they may be unwilling to part with them.

>Can you purchase the whole rig with trim tabs, 2 in 1 assists, bells
> and whistles, or is it all after-market shamanism? I looked on'
> the PD site briefly and didn't see anything but(...)

Risers are a part of the harness/container, not the canopy. As such, you should look at the harness-manufacturers websites. As I recall some manufacturer had an option of "CRW-risers" for their rig, but I couldn't find it right now.

Your local rigger can quite easily modify a pair of risers for CRW. The modifications may include: larger toggles for control lines, dive blocks on the front risers, Nasser(sp?) -toggles for front-risers and 2in1-assists for the fronts.

Erno

>Can you purchase the whole rig with trim tabs, 2 in 1 assists, bells
> and whistles, or is it all after-market shamanism? I looked on'
> the PD site briefly and didn't see anything but(...)

RErno

Depending on the willingness of the manufacturer, yes you can. When I ordered my last CRW rig from Jumpshack, I sent 2 pages of text on how I wanted my risers set up :-) They did well.

2-1's can easily be added to existing risers. I use them for everything but rotations and landing. My risers are mini risers (many/most CRWdogs prefer wide risers but my hands are too small to grip wide risers well), with blocks on both the front and the rear risers and 2-1's on the fronts. Basiclally a rigger would need to sew a ring on the risers simillar to the ring the brake line goes through. I've found the best setup has binding tape going from the bottom of the risers up through a ring at the top and attaching to a toggle. Its basically just a pully system. Works wonders when flying wings for a while. I've replaced broken 2-1 lline/tape on numerous occasions at boogies with a tacked on pullup cord. Works just as well. Have had that last for hundreds of jumps before :-)