jellylegs

Starting FF

Hi

I am a pretty competent FSer but am now looking to start freeflying. I was curious as to the different approaches to take to getting FF1 and people's experiences. Particularly in terms of mixing up tunnel vs in-air, how much to do solo in between coached jumps etc.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

I guess you're from the UK if you're talking about 'FF1'. Won't mean much to our colleagues stateside.

Freeflying well is time-consuming and difficult and to be honest the way to get good quickly is to hammer the tunnel and then take it to the sky. Once you can sit fly safely then you can share with 2 or 3 people and it brings the cost down considerably.

Also when learning, try to learn dynamic stuff (back carving, belly carving, layouts, belly and back flares) as this does help in the long-term even though in the short term it seems like a diversion to becoming a sky-ninja.

Good luck! :)

jellylegs

Thanks AdamUk.

Indeed UK based and forgot about the terminology. But yes, am looking for competent back-flying and a good sit position.

FF is a long road but a very enjoyable one! I agree with Adam... Dynamic skills are well worth it in the long run but it does make the already long road well... longer.
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com

Can be a long road for some and short for others.

Tunnel hard, you still have to jump to make it work in the sky with a rig, for exits, break off, altitude awareness, and with other people, but you won't pick up bad habits in the tunnel like you will in the sky.

If your goal is just doing some sit flying and looking at your friends from 10 feet away, jump more, if you want to be a ninja, tunnel more.

I'm an awful freeflyer but I've seen enough and spent enough time in tunnels to notice a pattern. Lots of tunnel flyers begin to enjoy the tunnel more than jumping, it is rewarding in its own right, and on time alone, about half the cost (at least in the US) and much less if you can share the tunnel with other people. Also, if you are in it for the long haul, don't go to the tunnel and say "Teach me to sit." Go in, find an instructor you jive with and say "teach me whatever you want to to make me a good flyer." You'll learn things in the tunnel you'll never do in the sky but will contribute to how you feel and perceive the air, and will become more important when you reach ninja status. I've seen excellent freeflyers have to start from square one in the tunnel, never the other way around.

Cost break down (US based and variable, just ball parking here). 15 skydives $360, 15 min in the tunnel $220 (with coaching in some places). Now say you and 3 friends can all fly together and you each buy 15 min, still costs $220 but you fly for 60 min, 60 skydives, $1,440. There is also a compelling argument that you learn faster in a tunnel (immediate feedback, you can fly 30+min a day once your endurance picks up, (try making 30 skydives :P ), and there is no 30+ min delay between each min of flight) You aren't limited by weather or time of day either.

Oh, almost forgot. When you start, get coaching every single time. Once you get some maneuvers down but just need to refine them, solo it. Become friends with the instructors and they will come in and fly with you and give you pointers for free (standing in the door is boring, if they can have a little fun it is worth it to them).