chadsmith1991

Back flying tandems with wings/without wings.

keithbar

Nice pic. But isn't that a sit fly with camera wings. ? Rather than back flying.

I guess you could say that but the bonus of this position is you can alternate between back and sit (more like a recliner) depending on speed of the subject. And....it doesn't hurt my back if they're hauling ass.
my pics & stuff!

Compared to what? Since I started "freeflying" with tandems things have been a million times easier to get every shot I want. I can ride the wings and float with 110lb students, and punch out a stag and comfortably fly with the big boys too. Its fun switching between belly/sit/back/hd (for exit) to get awesome video! Tunnel time really helped my confidence in orientations other than belly. To me they are all just different tools to do the same job.
BASE 1384

DJL

I have to ask, is this giving the student a product that they can appreciate as being better?

I know exactly what you mean [:/]

Dizzying videos where the world is upside down and spinning and the very common "knees in frame" B|

I like the exit show when frontfloating = sitflying, but other than that I mostly prefer belly video (with wings). Some freeflyers I know can't/won't stay still for longer than a second, delivering video that may wow another skydiver for "artistic value", "skills" and sheer "fun" but that is not the point of tandem videos!
The tandem passenger wants the money shot, and would IMO generally prefer ~30secs of stable right-side-up video showing their face, to any "artistic" flying that they don't understand/appreciate/pay for.

Some video flyers treat a tandem video jump as a paid-for opportunity to do what they feel is fun, period :|

ciel bleu,
Saskia

The tandem passenger wants the money shot, and would IMO generally prefer ~30secs of stable right-side-up video showing their face, to any "artistic" flying that they don't understand/appreciate/pay for.

Totally agree. Fill the screen from the bridle connection on the TI to the bottom of the passenger. When they see that on a BIG screen TV, it is all about them. I even hold back on "orbiting" unless it is a sunset load .... only once around, and you can get the pair in the awesome shot, then back in their face until deployment.
Life is short ... jump often.

chadsmith1991

Agree with alot of what you say. You can of course get the money shot on your back and in a sit too, and you don't have to be wizzing around the sky non stop :)

Yeah, that's mostly what I'm asking, whether there's an angle you're getting that you otherwise can't get just by being deep and steep. FF definitely helps with closing after exit.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

jumpsalot-2

Totally agree. Fill the screen from the bridle connection on the TI to the bottom of the passenger. When they see that on a BIG screen TV, it is all about them. I even hold back on "orbiting" unless it is a sunset load .... only once around, and you can get the pair in the awesome shot, then back in their face until deployment.

Top! ;)
That´s exactly what the story is all about.
Like one Videoflyer from a big commercial DZ told me:
Their head has to fill out the screen, don´t try to impress the passenger with your most acrobatic moves.
It is their jump, not yours.. They should look like heroes..
--------------------------------------------------

With sufficient thrust,
pigs just fly well

I'm giving the customer the same product I was giving them 15 years ago when doing this on my belly...but it's much better. It's not about what I 'can' do for my benefit. It's easier on my body and I can get deep on the tandem student. When you get a student that looks down the whole time....I'm still getting their face. I agree the whole twirling/barrel rolls don't help the video and that's not what I'm giving.
my pics & stuff!

This is from the TI's handicam.

Since all my jumps are video+photos, different angles are a must. I'll normally do half the jump on my back/head, half on belly to get some shots from above and from in real close. Still, backflying is nice for people with ground fixation and for really light passengers, since you're dearching the right way to keep things in frame. :P It just doesn't work on overcast days...