Kalrigan

How to start Angle flying?

So I've been fascinated with Angle flying recently and I've been really interested in learning. My problem is that no one at my local DZ does angle, so I have no one directly to coach me or answer questions.

So for those who have attempted angle flying before, where did you begin? What do you work on first? I want to go solo first and take it from there once I'm solid, but I don't really know where to start. Go solo track jump and learn then?

Any help whatsoever on how to approach this?

I want to go solo first and take it from there once I'm solid, but I don't really know where to start. Go solo track jump and learn then?

Please. No. You have no frame of reference and odds are good you will be tracking all over the place.

I recently was on a team training belly jump and we had a solo free flyer who didn't know what he was doing end up opening below us and ridiculously close because he ended up traveling down jump run doing exactly what you're describing.

Find someone who knows what they're doing and work with them.

3mpire

I want to go solo first and take it from there once I'm solid, but I don't really know where to start. Go solo track jump and learn then?

Please. No. You have no frame of reference and odds are good you will be tracking all over the place.

I recently was on a team training belly jump and we had a solo free flyer who didn't know what he was doing end up opening below us and ridiculously close because he ended up traveling down jump run doing exactly what you're describing.

Find someone who knows what they're doing and work with them.

That's a good point, didn't realize it could disorient you so much, figured it would be like tracking which I don't think is hard to keep track of. Alright, travelling it is then.

Either you will find somebody on the dropzone who can introduce you to it or you go to bigger boogies with loadorganizers. Most of the time there are beginner angle/tracking groups with a coach where you can get a good feeling for it and who will give you feedback. It's senseless trying to learn it by yourself. And yeah, the really steep angles are a thing for it's own.

for starters you really need to be able to fly on your head. You don't need to be a rockstar at it....but you need to be able to do it. If you can't walk....then running shouldn't be attempted. Patience grasshopper...this shit won't come over night. Just keep at it, jump with others, get coaching when you can, get some tunnel time if you can and by all means, DO NOT DO SOLO HEAD DOWN JUMPS!
my pics & stuff!

Absolut

Either you will find somebody on the dropzone who can introduce you to it or you go to bigger boogies with loadorganizers. Most of the time there are beginner angle/tracking groups with a coach where you can get a good feeling for it and who will give you feedback. It's senseless trying to learn it by yourself. And yeah, the really steep angles are a thing for it's own.

I'll wait for Summerfest, and try and get into beginner Angle flying camps before they start going for their head down camps.

linestretch

for starters you really need to be able to fly on your head. You don't need to be a rockstar at it....but you need to be able to do it. If you can't walk....then running shouldn't be attempted. Patience grasshopper...this shit won't come over night. Just keep at it, jump with others, get coaching when you can, get some tunnel time if you can and by all means, DO NOT DO SOLO HEAD DOWN JUMPS!

I'll wait for Summerfest and speak to load organizers, and I'll get some more tunnel time.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Hi Kalrigan,

At the risk of being branded a fool with too few jumps and a big mouth I'm going to stick my neck out and say that maybe a few solo aren't a terrible idea. Navigation is most certainly critical, sure thats always true and nobody wants to backslide during a head up jump but the risk can be mitigated by flying perpendicular to jump run or as discussed here....

http://parachutistonline.com/feature/angle-flying

Anyway, maybe chat to the guys at your DZ. I realise they don't angle fly but if they're confident in your navigation skills and based on what they know of your tracking they feel safe being on a load with you then why not. Either way coaching is going to be great if you can get it otherwise you'll pick up a bunch of bad habits, I'm very grateful for all the help I've received.

I particularly liked the tip in the article about rolling the shoulders, it's going to be weird but arching is exactly what you shouldn't do.

p.s. I've met some great angle flyers with well over 1000 jumps who can't fly head down.

I have already gone angle flying this past weekend, with a coach though. I found a new TI at my DZ who just got here a month ago, and apparently he angle flies so he took me up.

I will still read that article, but I got awesome feedback and I wasn't too far off from nailing it. Gotta work more on my angle control.

It was incredibly fun though, can't wait to do more.

3mpire

That's awesome you found a local guy--glad you two were able to work together!

Me too. We were drinking the night before and that's when we realized I can't wait to angle fly and he angle flies. So he took me up next day. Still a lot of work to be done, but really happy to start. It's really exciting. He said I need to go a bit steeper, so I need to find that right spot.

Thanks for your suggestions.

linestretch

I completely disagree on the flying head down part. No need to be able to fly HD to be good at angle... I'm pretty comfy flying angles belly or back, steep and fast, and have been for a while. Only recently started flying static HD and still learning.

So I just got back from Summerfest, it was absolutely incredible. Took multiple angle flying camps, with different organizers, and learned a lot. I'm happy to say I can angle fly now, and those jumps were some of my favorites ever. It's definitely my new thing now.

Kalrigan

So I just got back from Summerfest, it was absolutely incredible. Took multiple angle flying camps, with different organizers, and learned a lot. I'm happy to say I can angle fly now, and those jumps were some of my favorites ever. It's definitely my new thing now.

I find myself screaming "Fuck Yeahhh!!!" At the break off track from angle jumps. I don't do that to much on belly jumps.;)

Trafficdiver

I find myself screaming "Fuck Yeahhh!!!" At the break off track from angle jumps. I don't do that to much on belly jumps.;)

You need to get better at or on better belly jumps then.

I tend to go FUCK YEAH after ANY good jump.:)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Trafficdiver

***So I just got back from Summerfest, it was absolutely incredible. Took multiple angle flying camps, with different organizers, and learned a lot. I'm happy to say I can angle fly now, and those jumps were some of my favorites ever. It's definitely my new thing now.

My fuck yeah usually happens when people get in their slots and fly them, as I look around and see that I usually either start smiling like a maniac or yell fuck yeah. :D