rsb5267

Ensuring rig is "Free-fly Friendly"

I'm starting to get interested in Free-flying. I've experimented a few sit/stand positions for a few seconds at a time, nothing more.

Before I start doing free-fly jumps and exposing my rig to 180+ mph winds, I want to make sure that it can handle it. I have a javelin where the BOC is a little loose, probably needs to be tightened a little. Other than that, what are key things to look for in a free-fly friendly rig? Good Bridle Protection? Reserve pin protection? Any insight would be appreciated.

Also:
Tight tuck tabs, including riser covers.
Fit is tight enough the rig doesn't travel on your back during body flight and there isn't enough of a gap between your back and the rig for a nasty horseshoe (either via lazy throw or premature).

You might also want to get the retainer bungee for thigh straps. It makes sure they stay in place, as otherwise it's possible to have them creep in freefly.
"Skydivers are highly emotional people. They get all excited about their magical black box full of mysterious life saving forces."

Most rigs built in the past 10 to 15 years should be safe to freefly in as long as they were well cared for. Dont freefly with anything that has Velcro to hold it closed. But you don't see that much anymore. A good fit is also key because it can get distracting if you notice it shifting around all over your back. As always consult with some other experienced jumper/instructors or riggers at your DZ.

Make sure your gear is tight. Short story. Downsized canopy Seemed like an "OK" fit in the container which was already just a little "wiggly" on me. Had two rigs one tighter than the other. Would pack both so I could get more jumps at times. Long story short used the downsized canopy loosly fitting container and went head down. Luckily I saw the riser cover start to open. Got flat in time to avoid a wrap but had to cut away and do a reserve ride. Feel fortunate it wasn't worse.

Long winded way of saying you really do want your gear tight enough so things don't come uncorked at high speed.

Those are all pretty much the basics, good fit on your body, good fit on the main and reserve, completely concealed bridle, and a tuck tab on your hackey.

As far as maintenance, if your BOC is getting loose, have it replaced.

You want everything snug and tight.

You may also consider soft emergency handles if you don't have them already. Less snaggy and slightly more difficult to pull because you are removing velcro on fabric from velcro on fabric, so there is more flex, with a metal handle you are just pulling a hard object between two pieces of velcro. Not noticeable in an emergency situation. And could vary from rig to rig, just talking about my personal experience. If your handle velcro is getting old, get some new stuff put in.

**edit, also I hear (mostly from the manufacturers) but do not really understand why, so take it with a grain of salt. Apparently magnetic riser covers are significantly better than tuck tab ones**

Magnetic covers are better because it's much easier to get them tight enough (== resilient to opening in freefall) without introducing the danger of them not opening on deployment, which is a potentially deadly situation. And if they do come open, they have a decent chance of just closing again on their own. They also don't wear out, so they won't get looser over time and difficult to keep closed. Lastly, on rigs with double riser covers for tuck tabs (the ones that have "Place main risers on top of this label" printed), these are absent with magnetic closure, meaning there's one less thing for the inattentive / unfamiliar packer to misrig. I'm really not a fan of these, anything that can be misrigged on every single repack is bad design.
"Skydivers are highly emotional people. They get all excited about their magical black box full of mysterious life saving forces."

Luckily I saw the riser cover start to open. Got flat in time to avoid a wrap but had to cut away and do a reserve ride.

Please clarify - why would an open riser cover result in a wrap or cause the need to cutaway? I did some head down back when riser covers did not exist at all.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

sundevil777

Luckily I saw the riser cover start to open. Got flat in time to avoid a wrap but had to cut away and do a reserve ride.

Please clarify - why would an open riser cover result in a wrap or cause the need to cutaway? I did some head down back when riser covers did not exist at all.

..............................................................................................

If the packer is too lazy to stow excess steering line (between toggle and cats' eye) they increase the risk of entanglement. Double risk if they deploy unstable with loose steering lines flopping about.