Svenjohan

Basic tracking movements

Hello!
I'm not a very experienced jumper and with the jumpseason coming up I have just some small questions I have wondered about.

Look at this picture http://www.skydivelongisland.com/Portals/0/images/blog/14.png

1. What would happen if one of the flyers put his arms at a 30° angle behind his back?
2. What would happen if one of the flyers put his arms at a 30° angle in front of his chest?
3. What would happen if one of the flyers pull down his knees a little?

How do you change your pitch relative to the horizon in a max track?

When I did my STL course I learned that for a efficient track you should de-arch, point your toes and keep your legs together but if I watch basejumpers they almost every time track with their legs spread apart in like shoulder width; trackingsuit or regular clothes; which way is the best way to track?

Okay from this article http://www.vladiball.org/index6.htm
I found the answer for 1. and 2.
The arms position determdetermines how quickly you fall and therefore in 1. one of the flyers will end up below the other one

I assume that in 3. one of the flyers will fly slower because of increased drag and therefore end up behind the other one?

How about tight stance vs wide stance, anyone that can help me?

I'm always single when I'm tracking so I don't have anyone as a reference, all people on my DZ are in to freeflying heads down

Base jumpers usually use tracking suits, to keep tension on the material and create a bigger surface they need to spread their legs more than in a normal skydiving max track. And about your other questions, just go and jump and try different stuff :) Coaching would increase learning curve as well :) You can't really learn to track reading tips on internet.

Hi, this is a very complex topic that depends on many factors. If you want to keep it to the basics: moving your arms further behind increases your angle of attack, therefor you will get a faster descendrate but also more forward speed. Pulling them forward will decrease your angle of attack, therefor you will have a slower fallrate but also slower forward speed. Pulling your knees forward while keeping the same aoa will slow you down, in combination with an increased aoa plus different arm positions you can get quite an efficient track though that way.

Edited because i'm too stupid to write properly