spex

Beginner to Intermediate FF Suits

Can anyone provide some recommendations for beginner to intermediate FF suits?

For example, the TonFly 618 is not recommended for beginners because it is so aggressive. So the 619 would be a better choice.

With LiquidSky, should it be the Original, Ozone, Lunar, Comet, what?

How about for Ouragan, Skylark, Vertical, etc?

Most of these suit makers have terrible websites which don't do a good job explaining which of their suits are for what level of flier, etc.

It would really help to have a specific list of suit options which have a decent range and are forgiving for a beginner, but will last through the intermediate phase.

What they mean by advance and beginners is taking in count the ability of the flyer. Some suits add the extra drag to compensate for your lack of efficiency when flying, a more advance suit will let you fly rather than suit helping you fly.

For my experience and what I have hear from some world class flyers
Ouragan is a pretty durable and nice suit on the pricy side.
Vertical has a pretty good product as well for the price range.
LiquidSKy seems to be for the cooler kids with a lot of cash (the suits seems to be pretty slick as well).

Those are the ones I have experience with.

If I were you, I would contact a highly reputable coach that can guide you on what you need for your skill level, the the suit they are being sponsor by since they will be able to guide you on what you'll need.
I went with Ourogan because I meet with Arizona Arsenal and Sarah Curtis help us choosing the amount of drag and the type of suit we were going to need to fly in the sky and tunnel.

Yep. The beginner suits will have drag in places to put you in the positions you want but you'll have to put more input to move around. The more advanced suits are harder to fly but more responsive but fit is also very important - a badly fitting 'advanced' suit will also require more input to move around in.

I've got a sonic tunnel suit and the boogieman bionic suit. I think the bionic is easier to fly. Have a look at their website. They're quite bulletproof. I know a lot of guys who have vertical suits but have had problems with them fitting and having to send them back multiple times to get them spot on...

Biggest question is

what is your body type?

are you tall and skinny, average, short and fat ?

All three of those body types needs different fitting suit.

And please don't waste money on something you are not gonna wear after 50 jumps and realize that generic jump suit sucks.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

stayhigh

Biggest question is

what is your body type?

are you tall and skinny, average, short and fat ?

All three of those body types needs different fitting suit.

And please don't waste money on something you are not gonna wear after 50 jumps and realize that generic jump suit sucks.

I am 5'10" and 145 pounds. I agree on not wasting money, which is why I'm trying to understand all the angles to make a good decision. I am also talking a lot with fellow jumpers at my dropzone, but of course there is no single consensus and it's good to hear from people outside my circle.

I have Skylark. Pretty good. Pretty cheap. Lots of cordura. Legs and hands are a little bit more bulky then on "pro" suits. I've bought it as my first all-round-sort-of-freefly suit and I'm going to wear it off before going for something more serious. There are some photos here .

Can you explain what kind of suits each of these body types need?

I find it very difficult to find out what kind of suit you have to order as a beginner.

I am looking for a new freefly suit as well. I am 185 cm and 75 kg (6'1 and 165 lb) so I guess that counts as tall and skinny.

I've been looking at the Cristal Blade from Boogieman but even then I need to consider options like sliding/light codura/Codura etc. on arms, legs, front.. I'm confused!

Ooo Cristal Blade..

Firstly you can have a chat with Boogieman themselves. When you submit your order you also let them know your weight and they'll tweak the suit in specific places to give you what you want.

The sliding fabric is double layered so gives you more lift.

The heavier corduras also give you more lift so 500gr and 1000gr cordura give you more lift. The 180gr stuff is also supposed to be quite powerful but I've got it on my bionic and I'm struggling for lift.

Don't go for much lift on the arms. Go for plenty in the legs. But at your size and weight you don't have to go too sophisticated so go for polycotton (give you the greatest choice of colours) or 180gr cordura which is a bit lighter.

But as I said.. have a chat with Boogieman and they'll discuss what you want and make it to suit your flying and weight.

:)
Edited to add: Being tall and skinny they'll probably give you a fairly tight suit as you'll fall quite slowly in comparison to us puddings...

Rather than starting a new thread to ask this question, when it comes to ff suits which is better regarding the ankle cuff: elasticated spandex or a Velcro fastener?
Sky Switches - Affordable stills camera tongue switches and conversion adaptors, supporting various brands of camera (Canon, Sony, Nikon, Panasonic).