2 2
roam82

articulated harness for freeflying

Hi!

I heard of people getting non-articulated rigs for freefly so it dosent move as much when flying...Any thoughts on that?

I like the idea of a tight/solid rig on my back when angle/head down flying but I want to know what you guys think before ordering a new rig!

thanks,

R

Vodoo Curv,
SO far I have Jumped Javelin, wings, Reflex and none of them fit and feel like nothing is behind your back like the Voodoo Curv.
On the pricer side?? not really, they just don't build a cheapo rig without options (it is all included).

With the Curv you get pretty much all the options that you can get on other rigs plus all the new components of the rig and dynamics of that rig.

I can say that the Curv can translate a lot of the freeflying skills you learn in the tunnel to the sky. It doesn't interfere with your body flexibility and the way is build it doesnt interfere as much as other rigs I have tried.

A lot of people get the shoulder straps moving off thier shoulders in freefall when flying head down and especially a steep angle dive if they have chest rings.

You can order without chest rings, unless you are petite then I see no real advantage of having chest rings.

A lot of people get the shoulder straps moving off thier shoulders in freefall when flying head down and especially a steep angle dive if they have chest rings.

You can order without chest rings, unless you are petite then I see no real advantage of having chest rings.

So far I have about 150 FF jumps (plus my team mate who has double that) on the Curve and never had an issue.
If you were referring to that

roam82

Hi!

I heard of people getting non-articulated rigs for freefly so it dosent move as much when flying...Any thoughts on that?

I like the idea of a tight/solid rig on my back when angle/head down flying but I want to know what you guys think before ordering a new rig!

thanks,

R

It's the chest ring articulation that causes issues. Just skip that option and save some money.

I have an Infinity and a Vector. The shoulder straps on my Infinity which has the chest rings sometimes creeps off to the side when angle flying. My vector doesn't do this.

Nerra

I have an Infinity and a Vector. The shoulder straps on my Infinity which has the chest rings sometimes creeps off to the side when angle flying. My vector doesn't do this.

I think it is also dependant on the orientation of chest rings. Some orientations allow more movement/spreading of the shoulder straps.

EXAMPLES:

Here shoulder straps can spread/move to the outside and "slide down the hill" of the chest rings:
http://www.gravitator.com.au/media/catalog/product/cache/1/thumbnail/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/_/m/_mg_9777.jpg

...And here thay canNOT (shoulder straps are locked in place, so to say, no "hill" to slide down):
http://www.chutingstar.com/media/catalog/product/cache/3/image/1000x1000/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/l/e/legacyfront_1.jpg

Can anyone confirm that there is a difference based on the orientation of chestrings?

westcoastSD

Why are the chest rings better for petite people? I'm buying my first rig soon and am a tiny human - wondering whether or not to get an articulated harness.

It is a combination of where the chest rings fit on your body, how big the yoke measurement of your rig is, and how wide the top of your container is compared to your body. Basically: does your main lift web go straight up and down or does it bend in or out in more of a )-( or (-) shape...

Get with a rigger who is experienced with the rig you are going to order to discuss how things will fit on your body. And always get measured by an experienced rigger or dealer who knows how to measure properly for the manufacturer you choose. It sucks when people order rigs, wait however many weeks for them to be made, shipped to you, and then assembled... and then have part of the fit be off. Your rigger is your best friend if you're nice enough (and respectful of their expertise and time), they really are a good resource!

sammielu

It is a combination of where the chest rings fit on your body, how big the yoke measurement of your rig is, and how wide the top of your container is compared to your body. Basically: does your main lift web go straight up and down or does it bend in or out in more of a )-( or (-) shape...

Get with a rigger who is experienced with the rig you are going to order to discuss how things will fit on your body. And always get measured by an experienced rigger or dealer who knows how to measure properly for the manufacturer you choose. It sucks when people order rigs, wait however many weeks for them to be made, shipped to you, and then assembled... and then have part of the fit be off. Your rigger is your best friend if you're nice enough (and respectful of their expertise and time), they really are a good resource!

Thank you for the reply! I am definitely getting with my rigger - just trying to do as much solo research so I'm more informed when I do go to get my measurements and pick his brain. I just graduated AFF but have yet to get my A license. My instructors are suggesting that I get my own rig as soon as possible since there are really only 2 rigs that will fit me at the DZ and they are always in demand. They are both 210's and my WL is .64 (5'2, ~100lbs). My canopy rides last forever but at least I have a lot of time to play and learn!

Back when Rigging Innovations introduced ringed harnesses, we only had a few (maybe 5 percent of production) custom-made harnesses returned because of poor fit. Half of those poorly-fitted harnesses had been measured by the owner. Hint: you cannot accurately self-measure, ergo you need a second, trained person (tailor or rigger) to measure properly.

Half of our problems were with leg pads that were too long. This was part of R.I.'s process of learning how to size ringed harnesses. We found that ringed harnesses could be worn much tighter - and still allow above-previous-generations of flexibility.

OTOH The majority of harnesses - that I re-sized between 1994 and 1997 - were for second owners who were a different size than the original owner. This was also when free-flying came in to fashion along with ringed harnesses, butt-bungees, etc. 

Bottom line: if you are smaller than the average skydiver, you will probably need a custom-sized harness and should hire a rigger to help measure you.

22 hours ago, sundevil777 said:

The ability to more easily replace parts of the harness is the most valuable part of having rings.  The pic shows how ineffective many hip ring designs are at doing what is claimed. 

hip rings not doing what is expected.jpg

Yes.

Stepped hip joints can be silly when you consider how loosely they hold a back-pad to the jumper's spine.

Most of the jumpers pictured above could benefit from belly bands, but those belly-bands would need to be routed on the same level as their lateral straps.