andrewehlinger

Smaller Jumpers Freeflying

I'm still pretty new to the sport but am interested in getting into freeflying eventually. I'm a smaller guy at 5'6 120lbs and fly pretty flat on belly (118-124 mph average with weight). I always wear at least 6-8 lbs of weight to jump with others.

In belly flying you can arch to fall faster, but not with freeflying. I'm worried my fall rate will be an issue jumping with others. Can any of you experienced freeflyers chime in. Will this be an issue as with belly or does freeflying neutral out the playing field?

Thanks

From my (limited) experience, it seems smaller jumpers actually have an easier time learning to freefly. I find it much easier to go faster rather than slower, and as a big guy - 6'3, 220lbs - that's what I find myself having to do more often than not. In fact I've even got a suit with extra layers of material to help!
You won't have this issue, nor will you have the same issues as me in the tunnel, where I have to have the power cranked right up and before I got this suit, I was constantly fighting for lift. This is possibly a technique thing too, but it does seem easier for the little guys.

I agree with the above, while im not a pro free flier i do know that i did alot of FF with my girl this last summer and as she was just learning it was very hard for me to keep as slow as she, in the end the balance we found was that she would fly at a faster rate and i would be pretty much normal, this gave us both a pretty good range. you will just find your default fall rate getting faster the more you FF with other faster people. The only way you are not going to be able to keep up is if much bigger people are intentionally trying to get below you.

Find someone known to have good FF skills where you jump and ask them about controlling fall rates.

You have a greater range of speeds freeflying than you do on your belly. :)
For head down you can fly straddle at really quick speeds or slow yourself down in either daffy or shelf, again you can pick up some air with your back in shelf to slow yourself down further.

The popular freefly suit manufacturers offer suits with different materials and cuts to slow us big lads down or speed up the smaller jumpers too which can help.

For VFS I know some lighter folk jump with weight but for most freeflying it's not needed.

Have fun!

It will become an issue as you progress, probably more so sit flying & it's something you'll have to overcome as your progress. Tighter fitting/less drag suits, and possibly weight. There are very experienced freefliers in this same position...you're not the only one. WIth that said, the fatties have the same problem but on the other end of the spectrum. Just keep at it.
my pics & stuff!