Bealio

It's a love/hate thing

Bealio

***not many FF people are going to walk up and ask if you want to do a two-way on your second FF jump.

That's because they're assholes.

I was a belly flier who wanted to Freefly because it looked fun in the tunnel.

2 years, 450 jumps and 20 hours in the tunnel and I now jump with the FF who won't talk to you. I'm not even close to being on the level of many of them. I don't care if they talk to me or not (of course they do, I'm awesome) I just want them to jump with me and push me to get better.

It's been difficult and rewarding and I have so far to go and I look forward to every jump.

And goddamn it's fast. B|

Thanks for not taking up my slots on some of these jumps.

Bealio

***not many FF people are going to walk up and ask if you want to do a two-way on your second FF jump.

Not really.
That's because they know that there's not much to learn or enjoy for either of you.
Starting freefly (without the tunnel, mind you), you will spend much of your time just blasting through orbit without being remotely stable in any position.
A coach jump now and then will help you spot and correct mistakes, but this is training, not exactly fun jumping (yet).
Until your halfway stable in a sit, there's not much sense in making a 2-way for fun. Once you're there, you WILL be asked to join other freeflyers (unless YOU're the asshole).

This is all complete bullshit. Both of you spent a lot of money to become assholes. I have plenty of freefly jumps with people that learned before the tunnel existed. The culture has changed. Training? Are you serious? All my jumps are fun jumps.

Not even half way stable in sit.

You gotta be able to fall somewhat straight down.

How many times have you heard, Ya, I can sit fly, and the guy backslides the entire jump.

I'm not paying 25 bucks to chase someone, that's LO's job.

If you are at a big dz, use LO to your advantage, they either get free jumps or they get paid to jump with new people.

If they aren't jumping with you and they just jump with their buddies all day long, fucking tell the management, tell the DZO.

I have at least 1000 jumps chasing people. I'm over it so I stopped LOing. I rather pay money and jump with people who are better then me and at this point, I much rather do solo and not have to worry about some dude corking out.

All you are bunch of fucking millennials, who thinks everything should be equal and fair.

Spend money and time. This is a sport that requires money and time, not much in athleticism. That's why some people love it, those who aren't very athletic to do any other shit, but they have ton of money to spend at tunnel so now they are badass flyer.

That's why so many quit jumping after 200 jumps, that's the point they realize either, they are stuck bellying flying or go wingsuit route, and it is the point they realize that the money is 80% in this sport.

Skydiving is really, really easy. You just gotta have ton of money.

Skydiving culture did change tho. Tunnel made that happen. Before the tunnel and proper knowledge of body flight, freefly jumps were just a zoo dive. Off level, cork fest, and we were stoked when we built a line. Turing point like belly flyers were the realms of those who have over 2000 freefly jumps.

It used to be 1000 jumps sit flying and then you move on to head down, and now what? People with 200 jumps attempting headdown and atmo and other creative shit.

Do you know how people used to train for freefly? Solo jumps, and two ways. My funnest time at the dz were learning how to sit fly doing two way all long. That took us close to 1000 jumps. Can you even imagine jumping 1000 times with same person over and over again? That's how it used to be.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

Becoming an asshole was the cheapest thing I ever did in this sport. It just involved some earmuffs, jumping with another asshole and swooping the beerline, the beer side of it.

Now I say "What?" everytime someone says "Hey Asshole!"

Again, thanks for not taking my slots on these freefly jumps. You probably would find some reason to complain about them anyway.

Bealio

This is all complete bullshit. Both of you spent a lot of money to become assholes. I have plenty of freefly jumps with people that learned before the tunnel existed. The culture has changed. Training? Are you serious? All my jumps are fun jumps.

You see,
It's very hard to please everyone, and you seem to be the kind of person that is not able to put them self into someone else s shoes. Which is okay, but don't go into classifying other people as assholes or nice from your own personal point of view

I coach people that want to learn to freefly, mostly free and paying my own slot, but if I give them pointers and that they have to do a few solos to improve their skill and the go and do some "fun" jumps and then go back to get some coaching from me without even doing what I told them to do for free, then guess what I wont be jumping with you.

If I see someone trying to learn a freefly skill and doing a bunch of solo jumps, hell I will offer my help to improve their skills (for free), specially if they show dedication into learning something I am able to teach.

If I have a plan with my team mates and a dive plan, and you ask me to jump with you I will denied and explain we are training (training and improving myself is fun, a lot of fun) seeing other people improve and get better is fun a lot of fun.

Seeing an "asshole" trying to get into dives because they don't want to jump alone because for them that is not fun, even thou they know they cant perform and start compromising the safety of everyone else, not fun at all, be that freeflying belly flying or wingsuiting.

A lot of FFers have spent very serious time and money to get where they are. I know a lot of flyers that downsized their apartment/house, car, took on a roommate, left a 80K job to work at a tunnel or made other big sacrifices to put it towards FFing.
Maybe they are looking for people with the same level of commitment.

Bealio

If I get a wingsuit will you jump with me?
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Actually I'll just have to freefly with you because my rig isn't wingsuit friendly.

Then take me for a ride in your Mazda.

Then come to my new home and eat mass quantities
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

All you are bunch of fucking millennials, who thinks everything should be equal and fair.

"What money can't buy."

It can buy you a lot of experience for freeflying in the tunnel, but at the expense of the old school camp fire learning after everyone jumped together during the day.

Bealio

This is all complete bullshit. ...

It is not. I sympathize with you but will agree with others who don't share your point of view. Because you want every freefly jump to be a 'fun jump' (whatever that means to you), doesn't mean everyone should have the same outlook as you do. That is because people are different, they jump for different reasons, and get satisfaction from different things.
I can find several reasons why some people may not want to jump with you (or anyone they don't know) besides being assholes:
- they have different objectives; instead of a zoo they may want to practice a certain skill so jumping with you may take time away from something that person want to practice on their own, especially for someone who comes to the dz to only make a few jumps per week
- freeflying is too dangerous with speeds >150mph and people corking and zooming across the sky
- it doesn't bring any happiness (or fun) to the other person to do a low skill level jump so why should they make your day better if you aren't making theirs? Is this a one way standard?
- a good freeflyer spent probably at least 25,000 in tunnel&travel costs, so they don't owe you anything
- you may be a redhead, and we all know freeflyers hate redheads :P or is it base jumpers... not sure

If it makes you feel better I wouldn't jump with you in a wingsuit either. Not because I'm an asshole, but because I like to jump solo :P:)final edit: I would talk to you, shoot shit, joke, hang out and drink beer though. So you can call me a partial asshole.

Man you're in the wrong country, FFlyers have been super friendly here in Belgium and have let me on plenty of jumps.....belly flyers too......now I think of it the wingusiters were also pretty damn welcoming but I had to turn them down due to jump numbers. That said working on skills and training solos is much appreciated by everyone, wrecking every jump you go on would be taking the piss.

p.s. jumps are cheap over here to! ;)

Bealio

I dont fit the standard Freeflier model, Im in my 50s and I dont drink booze or smoke pot or take any other drugs.
I'm also opinionated and arrogant.
YET
I actually don't have any troubles getting people to jump with me when i travel to new DZs.B|B|B|B|

Your mileage obviously varies:S.

Maybe your attitude towards them is apparent on approach?
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

"A lot of FFers have spent very serious time and money to get where they are. I know a lot of flyers that downsized their apartment/house, car, took on a roommate, left a 80K job to work at a tunnel or made other big sacrifices to put it towards FFing.
Maybe they are looking for people with the same level of commitment. "

^^

Instead of randomly approaching people at the DZ who aren't even lurking on the FF side and asking if they wanna become a free flying machine.....

Lol, after you have dropped 15k in the tunnel come back. I bet someone will jump with you once you can actually jump.

Bealio

***Maybe your attitude towards them is apparent on approach?

I'm usually licking my lips because I'm staring at there balls through that tight ass suit.

well then, i think your real issue is apparent to all but yourself;)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

GoHuskers

Boom, we finally figured it out. The problem is the awkward crotch stares. If you stop doing those, you're in.

Hmm...

Only if I knew this 8yrs ago I would have skipped all my belly flying.
*IF AT FIRST YOU DONT SUCCEED... SKYDIVING IS NOT FOR YOU!!!*

Bealio

Maybe so.

The USPA requires that you have the A License before you jump with other people, that requires 25 jumps and a certain set of specific basic skills on your belly. Before that, you can only jump with a certified coach or instructor.

And belly flying is a lot slower, easier and more naturally stable than sit flying.

I guess that's because they're assholes.

Bealio

I suppose you started doing two-way RW jumps with fun jumpers just two jumps out of AFF? You didn't need to train to learn to get stable or to exit properly, you just grabbed somebody and went, because it's all fun jumps for you?

Honestly, "Exit some-what stable and hold a sit all the way down on a few solo jumps" isn't that high of a barrier.

ill let you in on a secret, it is not that fun once you can do it proficiently.

in hindsight, if i could do it all over again, I would not spend a dime in a tunnel and focus all on canopy flying. that's the real sport part of skydiving. Swooping requires precision and real risk. Not some freeflying shit when some 8 year old can out fly any adults in the tunnel.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

MikeBIBOM

I suppose you started doing two-way RW jumps with fun jumpers just two jumps out of AFF? You didn't need to train to learn to get stable or to exit properly, you just grabbed somebody and went, because it's all fun jumps for you?

Yeah, pretty much.