Jalien

Any instructional tracking pics/videos?

Hi folks

I'm a fan of tracking, and have been on a couple of multi-way tracking dives, however I'm not too sure about my body positioning. I tend to struggle to get down (being long and light I don't fall fast), and would love to see some examples of good tracking positions - not just for flat distance tracks, but also for diving down to meet people, and maybe exiting the plane in a track (and any others which are good to practice).

Have had a search on the site, but pictures tend to be more of the artistic rather than educational variety (if you don't know exactly what you're looking at).

So please post your pics with a description of what's being done correctly, or links to some good examples.

Thanks in advance

If you need to get lower, then spread your arms out and raise them up behind you.

WTF..Dude stop posting skills advice:S.

OP, if you have been on multi group tracks then I will assume you have knowledge of the groups leading the dives and the skill level of other participants.
SPEAK to them in person, WAY WAY easier than trying to learn technique on a forum with a LOT of bad advice.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

*sigh* I know it's difficult to get advice from a forum, especially from people trying to put it into words... Hence the request for any pictures or videos from people who know what they're doing.

I was hoping that there would be something as useful as the FS manual (http://www.bpa.org.uk/training-and-progression/training-manuals/) (which shows body positions for different directional movements) and DSE's wingsuit manual (http://www.dropzone.com/safety/Disciplines/Wingsuiting/Wingsuit_Flight_-_A_Reference_Guide_779.html) which shows some examples of good and bad body positions for different flight modes.

Actually, having re-read the FS manual, I notice that it's got a small section on tracking - however it's not very detailed on body positioning.

As a beginner, you can look at tracking just like regular RW. If you are high on the formation, arch harder and you'll sink. If you are away from the formation, stick your legs out (further) and you'll move forward into your slot. There is the added twist that you might be ahead of the formation, in which case you just pull your legs in a touch, and they'll catch up to you.

As you progress in your flying, there are other ways to approach tracking dives, were you use the pitch of your body to both control your altitude and forward speed, but that's a more advanced manuver. It's not well suited towards explaining online, as there are a bunch of 'what ifs', and it also puts you in a position where you can easily build a ton of speed, and speed without control is not so great when flying with others.

Stick with the RW-like approach for now. Just stay focused, and stick to the basics. Arch/de-arch and legs out/in as needed. If you're long and lean, make sure you're wearing a tight suit. If you normally wear lead, keep it on for tracking dives.

If you need to get lower, then spread your arms out and raise them up behind you.

Did you learn this from Point Break Shredex?

Op - Your best approach is to ask the more experienced people at your DZ. They can go over body positions with you and then go up in some smaller tracking dives to practice. There are ways of getting down to a tracking dive fast if you're high but you can also crash hard into people doing it!! There is a video of a tracking dive where two people collided knocking them both out till their AAD fired. So becareful but have fun!