hausair

World Record Speed Tracking has been set!

;)Hi Freeflyers

A first World Record has been set on 5/10/2012:
188.9 mp/h (304km/h)

Exit altitude: 12'500 ft
Wind: less than 30kn on exit.
Check out the attached FlySight GPS datas.

And here you find the press site with videos:
http://www.speed-tracking.com/english/press/

The validation for Guinness Book of records is running.

And next week I will create a site where you can post your personal best Speed Tracking results
Looking foreward to this!

Blue sky
Marc

Hi Maxx
The wind was less than 30kn.
And I flew downwind.
FlySight reports the horizontal speed (groundspeed)
http://www.speed-tracking.com/english/press/
I was looking for a minimum of wind for this record.
It would be interesting to see the results with a nice strong tailwind...

We could create a category called "unlimited".
There you could climb up to extra altitude and we all could use the best tailwind conditions. Would be quite impressive, that's sure.

And for the record in normal conditions it's a good idea to put a certain limit of altutude (let's say 13'000 ft) and a maximum tailwind of 30 kn. - We need a little range of winds up there - otherwise it's quite hard to find 0-wind places for exiting...
Then we can really compare the speeds.

I'll proove the wind-conditions shortly on the website.
For this I created a small facts-sheet, signed by the pilot, the ground crew, a camerman and myself. This should be enough. And of course you can check wheather informations for Empuriabrava at this date.

I'm interested in wingsuit-speeds (horizontal) from 12'500 feet exits. Does anyone have some GPS datas?

Best wishes & blue sky!
Marc (still deeply impressed by RedBull Stratos! - Standing ovation!)

Wow, impressive!

I have been doing some tracking jumps with a Flysight and I had one that was much faster than most. I assume I had a tailwind. I have been trying to think of ways that the wind would not offset my efforts, so I could better tell how I was doing. Tracking 90 degrees to an upwind jumprun might keep you from a tailwind or a headwind most of the time. But it also can get you into a more difficult spot to return from under canopy.

Any thoughts in that area?

Were you in a typical tracking body position?
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

Thank you dthames!
I know the problem of returning back to the airfield...

On this record, the pilot let all the jumpers exit - then we continued our flight for at least 1 more minute, away from the airflield. Now I could track back all the way in one direction - back home to the landing area. That's pretty cool, I loved it!

Have a look at the excel datas of the record:
http://www.speed-tracking.com/english/gps-recording/

Mr. Brian Utley from FAI analysed it. He was at Red Bull Stratos in Roswell and he is one of the premier GPS experts in the world. He kindly provided me with a further analysis of the GPS data.

See the data fields to the right on the spreadsheet. A quick look shows (see purple highlighted fields):

1) At “time 831.2” (field 481) I exited from the aircraft moving at approximately 125 mph, altitude 4250.7 m MSL, course 072 degrees.

2) At “time 856.2” (field 602), 25.0 seconds elapsed from exit, altitude 2793.5 m MSL, I achieved maximum total velocity of 111.39 m/s = 249.17 mph
(that's the "total speed", not the ground speed!)

3) At “time 863.4” (field 638) 32.2 seconds elapsed; after approx. 7 seconds “dive pull-out,” I reached max horizontal velocity of 84.79 m/s = 189.67 mph

Best wishes and blue sky
Marc

Marc,

I looked at the data file you posted on this thread but the file on that web page downloaded as a ZIP with some XML files in it, that I was not sure what to do with.

On your original file I clipped out the part before the Vertical speed was 10 m/sec and after 10 m/sec to be what I think of is the freefall part of the jump. I calculated you covered 2.1 miles over the ground. Nicely done.

Did you use your Flysight audio feature during the jump?

If yes, what mode were you set on?

Was the dive part of the jump almost vertical?

I have not dove for speed. I just listen in on the glide ratio mode and have been working in that area. The speed idea might be something to ease into.

Thanks,
Dan
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

@dthames

I didn't use the audio.
The dive part was never vertical. I prefere the idea of getting some foreward speed right from the beginning. The steepest I dove was approx. 60°

Have a peed try, Dan.
Soon I'll start to collect speed datas from other Speed Tracking skydivers. If there are some horizontal speeders around in the skydiving world.

Are there...?
Please let me know.

Blue sky, Marc

I used too do a mixture of speed skydiving and power tracking in the beginning of my jumping carreer. The forward speeds that came about were ludicrous. My lowest recorded fall rates in the last 20 seconds of the dive were in the low 70s with jeans and tshirt. I imagine this type of lift to have been the result of extremely high forward speeds. I shall try again with my flysight. W

Congratulations! How much extra weight did you use, and do you have the glide ratio for your jump?

@dthames

I didn't use the audio.
The dive part was never vertical. I prefere the idea of getting some foreward speed right from the beginning. The steepest I dove was approx. 60°

Have a peed try, Dan.
Soon I'll start to collect speed datas from other Speed Tracking skydivers. If there are some horizontal speeders around in the skydiving world.

Are there...?
Please let me know.

Blue sky, Marc

Thank you very much, aeroflyer!
The glide ratio could be even higher. At the end of the jump, I was playing around and I tried to reduce the fall rate with a kind of "body flare" flying upwards into the sky. There my fallrate was pretty small and it felt like landing myself as a plane. Still need some training to land this in Gary Connery-Style...;-)

Thank you very much, aeroflyer!
The glide ratio could be even higher. At the end of the jump, I was playing around and I tried to reduce the fall rate with a kind of "body flare" flying upwards into the sky. There my fallrate was pretty small and it felt like landing myself as a plane. Still need some training to land this in Gary Connery-Style...;-)

Last time I did the "lift" flare I ended up head-down cause of the stall lol

Thank you very much, drunk!

May I use this graphs for my website, please?

Blue sky
Marc

Paralog is free to use http://www.paralog.net/ if you want to use it as a logbook (save all your jumps) you will have to buy the full version. The free trial lets you analyse your jumps one at a time! You will be able to generate those graphs yourself.

Also you guys might want to check out http://www.paralog.net/ppc/ That is where wingsuiters (and some trackers) go to compare their flights with others from all over the world. There are performance competitions (for trackers too). On the left side of the site you can search by suit, look for FF suit or tracking suit. Naked tracking too.

The rules are simple and the tracks are set between 2000 and 3000 meters and all you need to do is set the graph in Paralog to zoom in to those altitudes and press the "Submit to PPC" button for your tacks to show up on the competition site (it's free)

I can provide more detailed information/help to those that want it, just send me a PM

What kind of bodyposition/AoA do you have when flying the record? Very interested to see some pics or footage :) 304 horizontal is just crazy, very nice job and very impressive! I'd like to try this as well some day since tracking is the most fun thing to do in skydiving for me personally. In groups, in shorts, solo, with or without a trackingsuit, I can't get enough of it. Hopefully one day when I get some more experience :) Thanks in advance.
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane"

What kind of bodyposition/AoA do you have when flying the record? Very interested to see some pics or footage :) 304 horizontal is just crazy, very nice job and very impressive! I'd like to try this as well some day since tracking is the most fun thing to do in skydiving for me personally. In groups, in shorts, solo, with or without a trackingsuit, I can't get enough of it. Hopefully one day when I get some more experience :) Thanks in advance.

The more vertical speed you have, the more potential horizontal speed you have. It's all about knowing how to convert that vertical speed to horizontal speed with the most efficiency for gaining forward speed without going to far and stalling.

As the swoopers say, "MOAR POWER!"