Stela

Tonfly vs Sonic

Hello all :)

I'm choosing my first FF suit, got 180 jumps, doing sit, but still working on docking - so a FF beginner.. I am choosing between Tonfly (Uno 619 or 618) and Sonic V2. What would you recommend? I got the impression that the 618 is very fast, so I suppose, beginner like me will have troubles slowing down if needed? Is it better I take it out of consideration?
And what about Tonfly vs Sonic difference?

Thnx for your help & blue skies :)

Stela

Stela hi,

I have 2 Tonfly Uno 620s which I use for free flying and they are comfortable have a lot of power range and are of great quality. Tonfly customer service is also first class.

I have a Sonic tunnel suit which I occasionally use in the sky and have no problems with the quality of that suit either.

Probably won't help but if I had to choose one over another I would go with the Tonfly suits.

Cheers,

Coops.

Faster vs Slower suits have little to do with where you are at with regard to freeflying skill, and more to do with your Body Type.

If you are smaller and petite, you will want a faster more form fitting suit so that you can speed up and match fall rates with larger jumpers or fast falling groups.

If you are larger and sink out on people or groups then you need a slower suit, typically douple / triple layers of fabric or slower fabric materials that create more drag like cordora or Poly Cotton.

The best design of a suit is one that is not too fast (tight) or too slow (baggy) for you body type. A suit that allows you to have a wide power range (match fall rates with slower or faster groups).

Tonfly, Verticle, Liquid Sky, Sonic, Freakin Suits, and Flite Suits are all good suits with different features and price ranges. Pick the one with the features you want / need and that you can afford. Get measured and make sure it fits YOU. IF you have to buy a used suit, contact the company who made it or maybe your rigger to get it altered to fit YOU.

Good Luck.

Thank you for your input.. makes sense, somehow didn't think about it :) I'm 170cm and 58kg in bad times, 55kg in good times :) makes no big difference for a suit I suppose? I couldn't say if i'm fast or slow.. because when I jump with people who are better than me, they make sure they're on my level :) I would sometimes get the feeling I flew down faster than the others (when jumping with people of similar level) - I was wearing bit baggy pants with normal shirt (so no drag) so far.

actually I got no clue! :)

somebody recommended me 619... the other v2.. I would stick with this two brands, because they're European.

trying to get an answer as well of Tonfly... but I'm still happy for any inputs and recommendation :) Since the Tonfly will surely not say I should go for V2 :P :)

Hey Stela,
I have a Tonfly 618. It's a great looking suit, and it's pretty much bulletproof. I've had about 5 different brands of suits before I got it, and this is by far the best made. It's also very, very powerful. That may be a good or a bad thing. It's good because if you know how to fly it, you can do a whole lot in the suit. However, for someone who's a beginner, it may not be ideal. I got my suit as an experienced tunnel flyer. I've always flown suits with little drag, so I didn't think that switching to a tighter suit would be a big deal. The Uno 618 however has negative drag. What this meant for me was that no matter how big I tried to fly, there was only so much surface area that I can present to the wind, and I would sink out unless the air was cranked all the way up. If you're just learning and don't have the endurance to fly at supersonic speeds, this may hinder your learning. Also, it may make it difficult to fly with others who are used to flying at slower speeds. The 618 also has cordura on the arms. I think this may make it difficult to take docks if you're just learning. In my opinion, the 618 is an advanced suit, and while I love mine, I don't think it's the right jumpsuit for someone with your experience. I definitely don't believe in having your suit fly you, but a little drag is never a bad thing. I think Tonfly now released the 619, which has a whole lot more range. I've seen a few people with it, and it's a great looking suit. Anyways, hope this helps, and sorry, don't know anything about Sonic.

Hey Stela,
I have a Tonfly 618. It's a great looking suit, and it's pretty much bulletproof. I've had about 5 different brands of suits before I got it, and this is by far the best made. It's also very, very powerful. That may be a good or a bad thing. It's good because if you know how to fly it, you can do a whole lot in the suit. However, for someone who's a beginner, it may not be ideal. I got my suit as an experienced tunnel flyer. I've always flown suits with little drag, so I didn't think that switching to a tighter suit would be a big deal. The Uno 618 however has negative drag. What this meant for me was that no matter how big I tried to fly, there was only so much surface area that I can present to the wind, and I would sink out unless the air was cranked all the way up. If you're just learning and don't have the endurance to fly at supersonic speeds, this may hinder your learning. Also, it may make it difficult to fly with others who are used to flying at slower speeds. The 618 also has cordura on the arms. I think this may make it difficult to take docks if you're just learning. In my opinion, the 618 is an advanced suit, and while I love mine, I don't think it's the right jumpsuit for someone with your experience. I definitely don't believe in having your suit fly you, but a little drag is never a bad thing. I think Tonfly now released the 619, which has a whole lot more range. I've seen a few people with it, and it's a great looking suit. Anyways, hope this helps, and sorry, don't know anything about Sonic.

Some excellent advice there. My FF coach gave me pretty much the same advice. He explained that (in as nice a way as possible) that the 618 was a very technical suit and that as cool as they look and as much as I wanted one, it's too technical for my skill level right now.

I'm so glad you backed that opinion up.

I was already struggling to fly at lower speeds in the tunnel, a 618 would have made it worse.

Last weekend, at a tunnel in the UK, I saw a REALLY thin and small girl wearing one. She was learning to sitfly and she was really struggling.

Thanks for the info. VERY much appreciated.

Hey Stela,

Some excellent advice there. My FF coach gave me pretty much the same advice. He explained that (in as nice a way as possible) that the 618 was a very technical suit and that as cool as they look and as much as I wanted one, it's too technical for my skill level right now.

I'm so glad you backed that opinion up.

I was already struggling to fly at lower speeds in the tunnel, a 618 would have made it worse.

Last weekend, at a tunnel in the UK, I saw a REALLY thin and small girl wearing one. She was learning to sitfly and she was really struggling.

Thanks for the info. VERY much appreciated.

While I do agree that it is bad to get something that is too tight and fast, I think it really depends on body type. I am skinny with long legs. When I first began sitflying I used the suits they had at the tunnel. I flew very slow and the flapping material made things difficult, especially when trying to go faster. Once I got my hands on a tighter suit, I flew much better and more controlled. It made things a lot easier.

If I were a heavier person, this wouldn't be the case. But I think the extra material on baggier suits ultimately make things harder. Ideally you would be skinny with a tight suit to have the best/easiest time in the tunnel. That way you can fly forgiving slower speeds, but not have flapping material throwing in another difficulty factor. However, since not everyone is like this, compromises need to be made, i.e. baggy suits. You will have to deal with some turbulence from the baggy suit in order to fly at appropriate speeds. Baggy suit + skinny person will not necessarily make it easier like it does on a heavier person.

I haven't flown a Sonic suit but I own two Tonfly suits and an Ouragan suit. I have a shortie TF suit and a 618 with TI arms. Compared to my Ouragan (which is the "old" style of suit with drag through adding material rather than through different materials), the tonfly suits are a lot more work to fly. I weigh about 155 lbs / 50 kg and am 177 cm / 5'9" tall, with the Ouragan, I didn't need to do anything to get lift but, as was mentioned speeding up could be a problem, it was great for the tunnel though as I didn't have to work as hard for lift. The 618 was really weird to transition to but once I got it, I much prefer it, plus I have better range. The shortie tonfly is even harder to fly but it's more balanced for me. I mean that the 618 has a lot of cordura on the lower legs and I find transitions where my legs come in to play to be more difficult than with the shortie.

HTH