guineapiggie101

learning to freefly/backfly in tunnel

Did you find it tough to learn this in the beginning? Any tips on making the best use of tunnel time to freefly/backfly? I am hoping this doesn't turn into where it takes me a LONG time to learn the basics.

I did 15 minutes of tunnel time yesterday with a coach (highly recommended). Had a bit of trouble with learning on my back. Was all over the place. A bit frustrating.

One thing, I have to get my own suit. The coach did mention that my body structure/size could be an issue. I dunno.

I like it so far. Want to give it another spin. It's tiring though.

15 minutes? You haven't even really begun yet! Cut yourself a break. The tunnel is very humbling and usually doesn't come in 15 minutes to people. It takes many hours and lots of $$$$ to get through the progression. It's a commitment, and it's frustrating, but very rewarding when you finally nail something you've been working on for what felt like forever!
Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)

I just did my first hour in the tunnel last week, 1/2 hour each day. On my first day all we did was back flying and I sucked at it, i felt like a squash ball bouncing off the walls, but on the second dayit just clicked and within the space of 20 minutes I had gone through back to sit transitions and sit-flying. Absolutely loved it, it's such a shame that we dont have a tunnel here.

fairly old thread but still want to put some thoughts out there...I personally feel that skydiving is more dangerous in the long run, but the tunnel can hurt you a lot quicker...after one hour in the tunnel I hit the wall pretty hard and busted my arm up, still hurts a month later...but after two years of skydiving I haven't had one incident, but that might also be because I am a fairly conservative canopy pilot.

I'm not sure that really makes sense, but if you are cognizant of your own limitations then it's quite easy to avoid getting seriously hurt at all. Accidents happen, and sometimes shit is just out of your control, but the key is to mitigate the dangers you actually can control.

Just last weekend I saw someone take some damage on exit from a Skyvan... being hurt as you step off a plane seems pretty quick to me, especially when there are over a dozen people following right behind you.
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080