FreeflyDom

Sitfly Carving

Hello everyone,

Wanted to see if anyone has pointers or videos on sitfly carving. I want to no where to begin. Is is all done with your legs? Look forward to hearing from everyone.

Thanks

I'm a big proponent of using the wind tunnel as a constructive learning tool. You get immediate feedback on what you are doing with your inputs, and always have the option to review video. So if you can afford the time and funds, I would suggest the next time you attempt sit carving, do it in the tunnel.

Particular to head up carving, learning in the tunnel is helpful because you have a frame of reference (e.g. glass, dividers between the glass panels) for your direction of turning and can more readily compensate for your movements in early learning stages. The way I have been taught [and I am still learning] is to think about it as a maneuver involving forward drive in a sit with a built in turn:

1. Initiate the carve with legs strong as you would move forward in the sit
2. With the leading leg, extend forward and down in the direction you want to carve
3. Add the corresponding arm pushed down for a more powerful/efficient carve
4. Leaning back with chest out will allow you to catch wind on your back to counter the fast fall position and maintain lift

Hope this gives you some idea, but I would recommend to get a coach to give you more direct instruction. I'm still learning it myself but good luck and let us know how it works out. :)