DarkDesigner

Freefly suit

Hello guys,

I've just received my first free fly suit from Intrudair. But when I tried it on, I found it tight when I was sitting on my but (just like when I'm on the plane), of when I was sitting in a sit-fly-sort-of position.
Did any of you guys have the same problem when trying out your first FF suit?
Because I taught it maybe because of the fact that I'm use to jump an FS suit with a stretchable back..
Or would it just maybe be because of a wrong meassurement?

I'd love to hear your opinion on this one..

Greetings, Peter

So I've got my suit back, and they've made it a little bigger for me. Now I think it fits, but it still is a little tight for example when I sit on the ground. Is this somtheing that will loosen up when i wear it more? Or could it maybe be the fact that I'm used to wearing a RW suit with a very flexible back?

It sounds too tight. Good free fly jumpsuits DO have spandex backs and crotches.

my wife changed her snug pattern a couple years ago to a spandex back and down the legs a bit (for her tight suit pattern - it's pretty much the RW suit torso - since FF suits don't have booties and grippers (yet ;)) then they should be much more comfy than a good RW suit).

It's great and super comfy. She's sold a ton and the good freeflyers are really liking it.

for those looking for a looser fit, the spandex isn't really needed - but it's essential for those that want to fly their body rather than fly the suit

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Some FF suits have grippers. I don't see booties ever being added to a FF suit. I personally don't see a need for grippers and only had it on one suit and I hated it.

My current suit is from Vertical suits and it has spandex back and spandex on the inside of my thighs. It's pretty tight in the torso. I couldn't ask for a better fit or a better suit.

Some FF suits have grippers. I don't see booties ever being added to a FF suit. I personally don't see a need for grippers and only had it on one suit and I hated it.

I'm still out to lunch on the grippers idea for VRW - I don't yet see the need really considering the pool and where people are taking grips, as well as the control/precision needed at those energies. IMHO

I had a concept for something analogous to booties (search footies - maybe it's still here). The question is whether that extra surface area and power and control is really needed vs just continuing down the path of more and more form fitting cuts (IMO more and more form fitting is definitely the right evolution - funny how aerodynamics and physics still apply).

it's interesting how FF suits are evolving almost exactly as RW suits did at first - that's why the successful concepts from RW should be assessed, at least, for FF suits as they go tighter and smoother.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

This will be my fifth year competing at Nationals in Advanced VFS. I don't see any need for grippers and hated them when I did have them. I much prefer the more form fitting suits. My current suit is the Vertical Suits Inverted Hybrid. It's made extra tough for tunnel flying with wind proof zipper and spandex. It's very form fitting in the torso which I really like and has the high collar, stirrups on the feet, spandex hidden cuffs. I have been very happy with the fit and how it flys in and out of the tunnel.
For VFS I can't think of any way to make use of a type of booties. I wouldn't want anything to slow my fall rate down. Now for someone bigger and heavier then me I might see a need for that. My suit is made for a medium fall rate. I think for my next suit I will try fast fall rate. I am 165 lbs and 5'8" so I really don't need a slow suit. Although I think a fast suit would be harder to fly in the tunnel especially during the summer.

I also want to add that compared to the old school baggy legs and arms the Vertical suits are way more smooth and easier to fly. Having that baggy suit flapping makes it harder to be precise and after a lot of time in the tunnel it really hurts.

I really like the input of that note. I'm on board with all of it.

Really, for RW, booties weren't to slow down - they were their to add a very controlled shape down by the legs for more power that doesn't flap (again, IMHO). more leg power means faster and more responsive moves, and more freeing up of the arms (same goals apply in FF, of course).

I'd think an analogous feature for FF would be smaller, stiffer, and have to enclose the entire foot to allow it to not interfere with upright configs. Or, maybe not even part of the suit, but part of special footwear. Seems to me though, just tightening up the suits is a bigger gain- same as RW - we want to fly our bodies, not have a suit trying to fly us. This is hypothesis - at my current skill level at FF, the last thing I need is "more" power.

the only thing we know, is that we don't know what'll be the next cool thing that actually helps

my wife's latest FF design: RW torso (very form fitting) - straight arm and leg cuts which are fairly close fitting, stirrups and hidden cuffs, magnet zipper pull cover, comfort liner. She really likes the stiff collars but doesn't really have a design for that yet. I love the suit - every time I get a new prototype, it's tighter and I fly better.

seems all the suits are moving in the same design direction from what I can tell.

good luck this year - I'll see you there.