andubkov

How many HD jumps needed...

How many headdown jumps one needs to do to be able to approach and take a grip on a 4way HD round?

I've made about 100 hd jumps and I can just hang in ~5 m proximity with another jumper, and feel uncomfortable when close. How many more jumps do I need? (just trying to estimate time and money needed (I am on a budget, so tunnel is not an option)).

That's really not anything you can put a jump number on. It's all on you and your learning curve and if you have some horrible habits already built in. It could take you another 10 and it clicks...or another 1000 and it still doesn't. Unfortunetly, the budget will get in the way. Keep at it though.
my pics & stuff!

Especially if you're on a budget, tunnel is THE option. I tried getting to a good hd for like 300 jumps, not just solos, also with coaching. If you're on a budget, save. I know it's not what you want to hear.
Tunnel coaching is factor 4 cheaper than coached jumps, and factor 2 cheaper than jumps with respect to time flown if you go in solo. It also gives perfect reference and a much more controlled environment, not even speaking of learning the position(s) technically right.
I could have saved the 300 jumps and put it in the tunnel, I'd have been much better much quicker. I only learned headdown right once I was in the tunnel.
Pretty much all the solo jumps I tried doing HD were wasted money in retrospect. Moneywise that would equal about 10 hrs tunnel time, at least 600 jumps worth of flying time.
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

Especially if you're on a budget, tunnel is THE option. I tried getting to a good hd for like 300 jumps, not just solos, also with coaching. If you're on a budget, save. I know it's not what you want to hear.
Tunnel coaching is factor 4 cheaper than coached jumps, and factor 2 cheaper than jumps with respect to time flown if you go in solo. It also gives perfect reference and a much more controlled environment, not even speaking of learning the position(s) technically right.
I could have saved the 300 jumps and put it in the tunnel, I'd have been much better much quicker. I only learned headdown right once I was in the tunnel.
Pretty much all the solo jumps I tried doing HD were wasted money in retrospect. Moneywise that would equal about 10 hrs tunnel time, at least 600 jumps worth of flying time.

Yep.