Ronaldo

Freefly coach/ DZ recommendations

Hi folks,
Since I live in the most expensive place on earth to skydive I’m planning to travel to US (probably in May) for a long freefly training session. The idea is to make around 50 coached jumps focusing on learning HD. Since I have no reference I’m looking for recommendations of freefly coaches and DZs. The coach doesn’t need to be world class champion but someone who know how to teach. I can travel pretty much everywhere but Florida would be closer which means a shorter flight. California is a viable option too.
Feel free to PM if you don’t want to mention names (let’s say you jump in one DZ and wants to recommend another one)
Thanks a lot

Ronaldo
Engineering Law #5: The most vital dimension on any plan drawing stands the most chance of being omitted

I highly recommend Ari Perelman here in FL, he posts as NeedToJump here. I've known Ari for many years and have seen him progress to a kick-ass competitive skydiver in RW, Freeflying and in the Tunnel where he is also a coach. He's based in Central Fl, so he'd probably have no problem coaching you in Z-hills, Deland or Sebastian or anywhere in between. In addition to being a good teacher, he's a cool guy to hang out with and while he has the skills to have a skydiver ego, he's really down-to-earth. :)

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I just saw a video of Ari on the tunnel. Well, by the way he flies I’m pretty sure I can learn a LOT with him.:D
Thanks for the recommendation

Engineering Law #5: The most vital dimension on any plan drawing stands the most chance of being omitted

Ari would be a good guy for sure. For some reason if he is unavailable when you are in Florida, you could also learn a lot from Luis Prinetto and Scott Palmer (Plamer). Luis hangs around Skydive Sebastian a bunch and the last time I was there they put together some fun jumps:

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=499766624861&subj=1296321030

You could probably meet Luis at zee mook up :D.

-Simon

108 way head down world record!!!
http://www.simonbones.com
Hit me up on Facebook

although I'm nowhere near to going HD yet, I did some FF-coaching with PJ Jackson in DeLand just before christmas. He's really a cool guy with LOTS of skills and could probably be your man if you decide to go to DeLand, FL.

He also took me to the Orlando tunnel where he's allowed to coach inside the tunnel.

Good fun, great guy, learned a lot!

Alex.

I have already set a training session with Ari. Besides the jumps we'll fly an hour on the tunnel too as he believes this will speed up the progression.
Thanks everybody for the recommendaions!

Just would like to share with you all how the training went at Florida. I was initially planning to make around 50 coached jumps and 1h tunnel time, always focusing on head down. Well, I thought I had at least a decent sit to start but right on the first jump Ari pointed out (very gently) how incorrect my position was. We made a couple of jumps but I simply could not fix it (it is really hard to get rid of old habits). At night we did a 15 min session at the tunnel and I was really impressed on how productive the tunnel can be. I immediately realized I should have booked MUCH more tunnel time and MUCH less skydives!! I tried to switch the rest of the training to tunnel but unfortunately it was a pretty busy week at IFLY. I was able to make a little over 2h but I can definitely tell it was the fastest and most productive progression I could ever achieve with my current skills. I told Ari not to worry about hd since I understood I still needed to work on the fundamentals. I noticed he was really concerned about my motivation but I’m very mature in the sport today and know when I need to slow down or even step back in the progression.
About the coach: Ari Perelman is the man!!!!!. He is not only an awesome flier but really knows how to teach and also the physics behind every move (which works really well for a freefly engineer). I learned a LOT with him and he was incredibly supportive through the whole trip. Since I traveled with my wife he gave us great tips for hotels, shops, restaurants, entertainment, etc. He was extremely professional but also wanted to make sure I was always having fun with the training. I totally definitely recommend him for anyone at any level who wants to improve their flight skills.
It took a while but I was able to relearn and get a pretty decent sit position and also start some basic moves (side slides, turns, level control, front flips, grips, etc) and even some HD on the net. Future plans already set: come back once or twice a year to continue with the tunnel sessions and get really good at this damn thing (someday)!!! Next time I won’t even bother bringing the rig!
Safe skies!

I am so happy to hear you are happy with the training you got from Ari. Now you're making me want to book some tunnel time with him! B|

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

If you get to Colorado instead of Florida one of Ari's flying partners Mike Silva is much the same. There's a way they explain things that can't be explained. I am in much the same position you are in and feel like I've wasted hundreds of skydives only accumulating bad habits.
I recommend the tunnel for any new or not so new skydiver. It simply is a tool that can't be beat.

If you get to Colorado instead of Florida one of Ari's flying partners Mike Silva is much the same. There's a way they explain things that can't be explained. I am in much the same position you are in and feel like I've wasted hundreds of skydives only accumulating bad habits.
I recommend the tunnel for any new or not so new skydiver. It simply is a tool that can't be beat.

Agreed, that's why
I'VE GOT 7 HOURS IN THE ELOY TUNNEL BOOKEDB|B|B|

If i am still shit at the end of that I'm selling my gear>:(
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

+1

Agreed, that's why
I'VE GOT 7 HOURS IN THE ELOY TUNNEL BOOKEDB|B|B|

If i am still shit at the end of that I'm selling my gear>:(

In re: to you having an expectation that you'll quit if you don't fly a certain way after said 7 hours of time, I think it may help to see tunnel flying as a process. I agree with all posters who say that it's an invaluable learning tool, but I have run into many many instances where I let goal of sitflying or flying head down discourage/frustrate me. I have discovered that what you may physically be doing with your body is not a reflection of what you are mentally building in terms of skill/concept that you are learning. It is much more than you think. You may be not flying at a level where you want to be, but everything you do in the tunnel is helping you learn. I think if it were to come so easy then it wouldn't be such a valuable experience. :) Expecting to be able to fly head down in X number of hours for example is, a good goal in theory, but I think not as important as just learning the fundamentals you need to be a stronger flier. So don't ever give up please!

All this said I'm sure the 7 hours will be monumental to your learning and by the end you'll have found you learned a lot and fly a lot more confidently than when you started. Have fun! :)