Freefly85

braking in sitfly

Hi guys,

I've around 400 jumps.
Recently my girlfriend started learning sitfly.

We tried to jump together, but she's almost 20kg (44lbs) lighter than me. At this time she isn't able to stand up in freefall (but she's stable in sitfly).

So I have to braking in sitfly position... But how??
Normally I change my position to backfly, but when I go back to sitfly position, I'm too quickly again.
I'm heavy, but tall. So it should be possible to reduce my speed.

How do you slow down the speed in sitfly? Anyone has good youtube vids for an example? What about spreading the legs?

Thanks for hints!

What about spreading the legs?

yeah... daffying your legs will help slow you down (see pic). You may not want your feet as under your body as I have in the pic, but it will definitely slow you down and works well for small rate adjustments. Give it a try. Hope it helps.
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----

Spread your legs wide...think of head down daffy, then basically do that (but go wider, as much of a split as you can get into) in your sit. one leg would be behind you, the other one in front. That should slow you down some. Try adding some layers under your jumpsuit as well...

Extend your legs out straight in front of you with a slight bend (probably as far as you can extend it anyway). Your calves will be adding more surface area and driving you forward. Compensate by leaning forward, and thus adding even more surface area with your chest. Practice this in the tunnel and you'll see how hard you can hit the brakes like this.

You may be able to fly a slow kneefly like ridestrong posted, but having your feet under you is just taking away surface area, and its a more difficult position to fly stable anyway.

I disagree with a lot of the advice in this thread.

Get your legs wide with your heels turned out to use the inner surfaces of your legs to catch air - your inner thighs and calves. Keep your hips back and lean your back into the wind. Keep your head back to get the back of the your head and shoulders into the wind. Get your arms wide and out to the sides. Keep pressure on the wind with with your arms, but don't press them down past being straight out or you will just lose surface area.

Do you live close to a tunnel? Watch a good coach/instructor sit fly at low wind speeds.

http://www.liquidskysports.com/images/stories/photo_gallery/030.jpg
Wind Tunnel and Skydiving Coach http://www.ariperelman.com

I disagree with a lot of the advice in this thread.

Get your legs wide with your heels turned out to use the inner surfaces of your legs to catch air - your inner thighs and calves. Get your arms wide and out to the sides. Keep pressure on the wind with with your arms, but don't press them down past being straight out or you will just lose surface area.

Yep, this is what I was trying to say, almost exactly as in the pic I attached, only without you feet under your butt.
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----

ok thanks guys, that's what I will try at the next jump. Thanks for the pictures. unfortunatelly now it's kind of cold in switzerland for jumping. but I hope I can do some exercices this year. I have a windtunnel close to me, but it's expensive. I'm sure I will spend some money in coaching jumps next year.
I think, it will be very helpful to see my body-position on a video. Maybe it doesn't really the same position like the second picture, which I always believe to fly :D

sorry for this english. if you can find mistakes, you can keep it ;-)

ok thanks guys, that's what I will try at the next jump. Thanks for the pictures. unfortunatelly now it's kind of cold in switzerland for jumping. but I hope I can do some exercices this year. I have a windtunnel close to me, but it's expensive. I'm sure I will spend some money in coaching jumps next year.

it is actually the cheapest in europe.. plus it helps you LOTS to fly slow. Go to the Zurich tunnel, lots of great people to teach you, either from the tunnel staff or people like Dany Henschen
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

It works for me.

Dude you can't sit fly. We all know it. Im the only one that loves you enough to say it. B|

DUDE! Shut up, I'm trying to look cool on here.

Because everyone knows if you cannot sit fly than you are not cool at all.... :D
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com